07 WR450 or YZ450 for offroad racing

19 replies to this topic
  • Jessek

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:09 AM

I'm in the pacific northwest and want to get either an 07 WR or YZ 450. I'm a big guy and can handle a 450 pretty well. I already have an 03 WR and thought it would be nice to drop 30 lbs off my bike. I don't need the lighting kit and hardly ever used the electric start on my old bike (always forgot to turn the power button off). I also don't need the wide range gearing so much.

I reckoned on changing the YZ flywheel and softening the suspension.

The new WRs look pretty sweet but they are still a lot heavier.

Thanks very much,

Jesse

• dino 702

Posted December 16, 2006 - 12:32 PM

The WR comes more offroad friendly with the 18" rear wheel, easy access air filter, larger fuel tank, skid plate and enduro computer...which most of those items can be adapted to the YZ including the some of the WR's power traits. For me it's the eletric start that seals the deal.

• Fullbore4

Posted December 16, 2006 - 01:08 PM

Jesse

YZ flywheel is almost half the weight of wr.....I am wondering if any wr owners have put on a lighter flywheel for quicker revs and what they thought?

• TWILES

Posted December 16, 2006 - 03:24 PM

If I was seriously wanting to race I might wait till after next year. Big 2-strokes are supposed to be out of AMA races after next year as far as I know. Therefore Yamaha will have to race either the YZ of WR F's.

• Asgeir

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:00 PM

I'm in the pacific northwest and want to get either an 07 WR or YZ 450. I'm a big guy and can handle a 450 pretty well. I already have an 03 WR and thought it would be nice to drop 30 lbs off my bike. I don't need the lighting kit and hardly ever used the electric start on my old bike (always forgot to turn the power button off). I also don't need the wide range gearing so much.

The new WRs look pretty sweet but they are still a lot heavier.

Thanks very much,

Jesse

If you do not need lights and e-start you should go with the YZ.

I would......... but I like the lights and the e-start.

If you are used to the 03 WR you would probably adapt to the firmer suspension in a few rides.

• SurvivorMan

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:12 AM

for racing, either way you will be modifying and tweeking each bike as far as set up goes. the lights and estart setup can all be removed bringing the weight close to the yz, but at least it is all their. the wr is just setup for woods. the WR does not hit as hard as the yz for hillclimbing

• MaxPower

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:43 AM

[COLOR="Green"]sounds like you have already answered your own question Jessek. Buy the white one. They look soooo trick[/COLOR]

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I also live in the PNW, most of my racing takes place in technical single track but some open stuff. You will want the e-start 90 minutes into a 2 1/2 hour harescramble.....

For off road racing the WR can run with the YZ any day..... it's 90% rider and anyone who thinks different is lying to themselves..... the WR can be set up to race moto cross but without YZ cam & timing it won't hit as hard.

I'm on my 4th WR and will probably have a 5th, 6th, and 7th before I hang up my boots :applause:

• tribalbc

Posted July 25, 2008 - 08:40 PM

I had the same dilemma when I bought my bike last year. I opted for the WR just because so many things are in the right direction for woods As SJMCDon said you'll love the E-start during a race when you stall or have to get out of some gnarly spot.
Sometimes I regret the weight but overall I think I made the right choice ( with lots of mods of course )

Where in BC are you ?
Plan on racing the PN series ?
I race my WR in the PN but there's only a couple of us admist a sea of KTM's :ride:

• RSAthump

Posted July 27, 2008 - 10:45 AM

Why is everybody, well almost everybody, particulary in racing, even here in south africa, got orange fever? The joke our nat enduro and off road champ is on a WR:ride:

My take on the YZ vs WR thing, I worshipped my e-start today, in the rocks and mud...technical, the added weight of the WR can be a pain, but the e-start SAVED MY ASS today.:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geoffro

Posted July 28, 2008 - 12:51 PM

I also sometimes hate the extra 13 kg my WR has but it has so many other good points over YZ I ignor the weight. Oh and the pumpkin thing:more money than brains:worthy:

• Lamo

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:20 PM

YZ's come with much better suspension. Look at any top WR racers bike and most likely you'll see YZ suspension (Jason Raines, Ty Davis, ...). Also you won't be having quick front wheel changes with that speedo drive. The front hub is different so Zip Ty wheel spacers wont fit. For me personally the gap between 4th and 5th drives me nuts.

• suzukipoo

Posted July 29, 2008 - 05:57 AM

I love my wr450 07 just like the guys say the e-start is the best button you can buy!! We were riding at qwa-qwa with alot of offcambers and sometimes a dude infront of you would struggle and let the bike stall then you need to sit and wait and with the hot temp here in sa you can`t let your bike idle the whole time so i am happy to ride behind such dudes with my e-start! With a few mods and diff oil in the forks the susspension is up to the task!! Just get the bike rejetted and with a FMF slip-on she will be a beauteeeeeee!!!

• RSAthump

Posted July 29, 2008 - 06:34 AM

I saw the qwaqwa pics!! Awesome ride, Suzukipoo post the link so the TT boys can see, btw sorry for the hijack

• eurobound

Posted August 07, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Why is everybody, well almost everybody, particulary in racing, even here in south africa, got orange fever? The joke our nat enduro and off road champ is on a WR:ride:

My take on the YZ vs WR thing, I worshipped my e-start today, in the rocks and mud...technical, the added weight of the WR can be a pain, but the e-start SAVED MY ASS today.:)

try living next to Austria... talk about 'orange fever' !!!! I like my blue bike!

and try drinking any other energy drink other than Red Bull... not possible! We even have Red Bull cola now!

• ParrotJuice

Posted August 08, 2008 - 02:54 AM

YZ's come with much better suspension. Look at any top WR racers bike and most likely you'll see YZ suspension (Jason Raines, Ty Davis, ...). Also you won't be having quick front wheel changes with that speedo drive. The front hub is different so Zip Ty wheel spacers wont fit. For me personally the gap between 4th and 5th drives me nuts.

are you sure, i thought they had the same suspension, cept the wr was softer

• hillclimbguy

Posted August 08, 2008 - 06:28 AM

After having a E-start. Its hard not to go without. I have a 06 yz450 and like it for the trails. Though I would like a little more flywheel weight. Suspension is a little on the stiff side for the tight stuff. I set it up with a 18" rear wheel and 53 rear spocket. Big tank and damper.
My Wr was actually a little on the soft side. With some suspension work it became great. I do feel the weight on the WR but sure do like the E-start.
I find myself riding the YZ more and saving the WR for the Dual sport rides.

• face_plant

Posted August 08, 2008 - 01:26 PM

east coast here

i work for a yammie dealer
had a customer swearing he wanted a yz(everyone got one must be good)
gncc/haire scrambles
he did 1 race, came back in and said your right should have got the wr
so he got one and loves it

when you dump it and need the easy button it saves alot of kicking, wr has coolant overflow bottle

• Lamo

Posted August 08, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Parrotjuice, yes I'm sure. If you go to Yamaha's web site go to YZ450 and WR450 click on features the suspension descriptions are different. Also if you look at the tops of the forks you'll see they're different. Though the real difference is inside.

• mikeythefokker

Posted July 28, 2009 - 06:24 PM

For straight up racing, the yz is probably the way to go. A real racer will be able to control the power pretty easily, and a rekluse can make the yz a pretty decent nasty single track bike. The weight of the wr is a factor for sure, but I have found the estart to very nice in many cases. In an enduro I did last year there was one big bottle neck where 15 to 20 riders were all trapped along a narrow rocky climb. It looked like special olympics erzberg. I wasn't able to get a great run up, because there were so many people in the way, and I didn't make my first try. I dumped the bike. There were more than a few guys along the section who were red in the face and panting, having spent a few minutes trying to kick stubborn stalled 450 mxers. I pushed a button, and my bike fired right up. I made my next attempt, and rode away. That happened at mile 65 of a hundred mile enduro. The extra weight of the wr vs. the yz, and the fatigue that would come from carting it around all day, would probably be negated for that day by that one incident. I had a crf450r, and the other thing that I noticed when I rode it, vs. when I rode my wr, was how often my annoying buddies end up stopping in a day of riding. When it's as simple as start the bike, race, stop the bike, the yz has the advantage. But when other people come into play, like annoying friends, or other racers in your way, giving up 30 lbs to have a button seems like a bargain.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.