What hand guards do you recommend?

21 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 10:27 PM

I did a search and found very little results in this forum. I have Acerbis Rally Pros on my WR450 but they bent both times I've gone down and they weren't even hard crashes. They look great and have saved my hands so I guess they are worth it but man are they soft!

I was just curious if anyone could suggest something better.

• TapptOut

Posted December 16, 2006 - 12:02 AM

Cycras with the wrap around bark busters are really strong.

• torqueme

Posted December 16, 2006 - 12:41 AM

I have never bent a Moose barkbuster yet & i crash all the time...

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:04 AM

We use Enduro-Engineering bark busters, they are realy strong and hold up extremly well.

• fishwater

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:02 AM

I have the moose bark busters plus plastic shields, they work slick :thumbsup:

• bxrjim

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:35 AM

Get the cycras. You can get a a bracket that makes it so you can mount the inside of the gaurds to the tripple clamp. It' the best way if you want strength.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I use the MSR Deflector handguards, they have taken a BEATING and I still haven't bent them. They are great in the summer because they don't really block any wind, and in the rain or cold I attach the MSR Deflector shields to them for more protection from the weather.

I have the Acerbis Rally Pro's on my son's bike and they bent fairly quickly...so much so that they were getting in the way of the front brake lever and I had to reposition them to continue riding. Same story with my buddy's Rally Pro's.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:04 AM

I use the MSR Deflector handguards, they have taken a BEATING and I still haven't bent them. They are great in the summer because they don't really block any wind, and in the rain or cold I attach the MSR Deflector shields to them for more protection from the weather.

I have the Acerbis Rally Pro's on my son's bike and they bent fairly quickly...so much so that they were getting in the way of the front brake lever and I had to reposition them to continue riding. Same story with my buddy's Rally Pro's.

Exactly my experience but with the clutch lever. I went down maybe 10mph and thought I bent my bars until I figured out the rally pros bent. The only good thing is that they are so soft that you can bend them back but that's lame! I'll check into your recommendations.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:11 AM

Cycras with the wrap around bark busters are really strong.

Which Cycras, the pro bend racer pack? What bars come stock on the Yamaha? If I go with the triple clamp mounts do I want the front or side?

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I have the moose bark busters plus plastic shields, they work slick :thumbsup:

With the Moose ones you have to buy the alumimum bar and plastic piece separately correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:16 AM

And normal or large plasic guards on the Moose?

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:36 AM

I use Acerbis Uniko's and love them. They are big enough to protect your hands but arn't so bulky to be ugly.

Check my garage for pics on my YZ250F.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted December 16, 2006 - 10:57 AM

The cycra racer pack and moose aluminium handguards are by far the best sellers at the TT Store.

Most buy the Cyra Pro-Bend Racer Pack
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=559&s=2
With the low profile shields..... A little lower on the page.
Cycras do come with shields but are a little big and most prefer the smaller ones.

Here are the Moose Hanguards
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=553
The actual hand guard and the plastic shield are sold seperately.
They are both on that page.

Also don't forget you are gonna need a new throttle tube with a removeable end or open end.

The Moose aluminum throttle tube is popular
http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=582
Aswell as the MotionPro plastic one with removeable endcap
http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=583&s=2

Just depends what you want.

I personally run the Cycra Probends with the Low Profile shields and the Moose aluminum throttle tube.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:55 AM

If I get either the Cycra or Moose guards and then switch to a fatter bar will I have to get a whole new setup?

If I get the Cycra triple clamp mounted ones does that give me the flexibility of whatever size bars?

If I'm reading things correctly, the moose seems a lot cheaper then the Cycra especially if I buy the lower profile guards on top of the Cycra price.

• byggd

Posted December 16, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Cycra Probends all the way!

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 02:01 PM

Out of curiosity....would the Acerbis Rally Pros that I have on my stock 04 WR bars fit the stock 06 YZ? I don't like how easily they bend but I'll take them off my WR before I sell it anyway because they look like I've fallen really bad even though they were minor falls. I could always put them on my YZ initially until go back to the states again in March or April.

• PK

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Get the Cycras barkbuster mount that mounts on the side of the triple clamp. It's much stronger and doesn't move around regardless of how hard you crash. Another bonus is that it doesn't matter whether or not you have 7/8" or 1 1/8" bars because they don't mount to the bar. One other bonus is routing your cables and brake hoses is much easier with triple clamp mount than the bar style mount. I had Cycra bark busters on originally but after tweeking them I just bought some cheaper Moose barkbusters and they mounted right up and work just as well. Acerbis Rally pros aren't very robust when it comes to crash survivability when compared to some barkbusters mounted via the Cycra triple clamp mount.

• torqueme

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:06 PM

With the Moose ones you have to buy the alumimum bar and plastic piece separately correct?

That is correct, but you have the option of leaving the plastic shields off in hot/good weather. i was on dubach's website today & they have a nice looking setup as well, anybody run these?

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Get the Cycras barkbuster mount that mounts on the side of the triple clamp. It's much stronger and doesn't move around regardless of how hard you crash. Another bonus is that it doesn't matter whether or not you have 7/8" or 1 1/8" bars because they don't mount to the bar. One other bonus is routing your cables and brake hoses is much easier with triple clamp mount than the bar style mount. I had Cycra bark busters on originally but after tweeking them I just bought some cheaper Moose barkbusters and they mounted right up and work just as well. Acerbis Rally pros aren't very robust when it comes to crash survivability when compared to some barkbusters mounted via the Cycra triple clamp mount.

Hey PK, I'm a little confused by your post. You had me going with the Cyras mounted to the triple clamp then you mentioned that you ended up replacing them with the Moose ones. The moose ones are quite a bit cheaper, are the Cycras worth twice as much?

• YZfamily

Posted December 17, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I run the Acerbis Multiplo on my '06

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.