Clarification on 650R mods

16 replies to this topic
  • jbird710

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:38 PM

I did a search and got some answers but also ended up with some more questions. I've got a brand new 650R and want to open it up. I went to the site http://www.xr650r.us...h/thewrench.jpg and have the following questions:

1.) It doesn't mention changing the stock idle jet; just the main. Wouldn't the idle jet need to be increased for the added air flow? I see where some are running a 68 idle jet - does this seem right for this mod? I'm at sea level in SE Texas.

2.) It would appear so; but are those part numbers actual Honda numbers?

Not related to the above mod but a question about the HRC kit:

1.) If you install the HRC kit, would it be best to add some type of oil cooler or is the stock liquid cooling enough? Again, I'm in SE Texas (south of Houston) and it's always hot (90+ 8-9 months out of the year).

Thanks,

Jay

• big t

Posted December 15, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Go here www.xr650r.net

Yes, I would put the 68s pilot jet int it.

• cajun

Posted December 15, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Go here www.xr650r.net

Yes, I would put the 68s pilot jet int it.

Ditto the 68s pilot jet.

Jay where in south of Houston are you? I'm south of Houston also.

• jbird710

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Ditto the 68s pilot jet.

Jay where in south of Houston are you? I'm south of Houston also.

I probably should have said SE of Houston - I'm in League City.

Thanks for the info on the jet; just bought the bike and know it's a different animal than the L.

• BWB63

Posted December 15, 2006 - 09:44 PM

Start here: http://www.xr650r.us/

then once you need the suspension done or a little more power go here: http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Posted Image

• jbird710

Posted December 15, 2006 - 10:03 PM

Start here: http://www.xr650r.us/

then once you need the suspension done or a little more power go here: http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Posted Image

Thanks. http://www.xr650r.us/ is where I came across the tech article I had the questions about. Suspension isn't a problem - there's a local shop that handles all of my suspension. They do a good job, use quality parts, and do it cheap enough that it's not worth my time that I'd have to put into it. I'm going to keep the bore and cam stock for a while until I can get some miles on it - might as well get the wear out of the stock stuff. Mostly just want to uncork at this time, suspension next month, and maybe go for motor mods next year. I've got 3 other bike projects going at this time and funds are limited.

• cajun

Posted December 16, 2006 - 03:53 AM

I probably should have said SE of Houston - I'm in League City.

Thanks for the info on the jet; just bought the bike and know it's a different animal than the L.

Well I'm just a few mile north of you in the Sagemont area off I45 and Beltway.
What type of riding will you be doing?

• jbird710

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:18 AM

Well I'm just a few mile north of you in the Sagemont area off I45 and Beltway.
What type of riding will you be doing?

Know where you're at; have some friends that used to live in that area. As for where, I thought I would try it out in the SHNF and maybe Cherokee Cycle Park once I get it set up. I've got an 2001 XR400R that I've been using at both places and was looking for a little more HP. Don't know how the extra weight will factor in, but I guess I'll find out. I'm still healing up from a 70 + mph endo on the CR500 a few weeks back and my go down to Pelican Island tomorrow with the 650R just to see if I can ride yet. Maybe get make a dent in the first 100 miles on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:01 AM

It really depends on how much air you give it. I have all the HRC parts; i.e intake manifold, needle jet (4th notch from top), and spark arrestor. I also run a TwinAir power-flow kit, and have the side panel cut out with riveted screen.

I live in CO, and ride in much higher elevation than you do. I run a 170 main jet, and a 70 pilot (idle) jet. If you were to do the same mods as I have, I would estimate you would need to run a 175 or 178 main jet, and a 70S pilot jet. Without the cut-out side panel, maybe a 172-175 main, and a regular 70 pilot jet.

Ask your local shop to look up the "S" pilot jet. It's listed as a Honda part, not a Kehin part. Think of it as a half step between a 70 & a 72 pilot jet.

Remember you can adjust the pilot, just try to stay between 1-3 turns out on the adjustment screw. 1.5-2 turns out is the best target range.

• eastreich

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:16 AM

An oil cooler is not necessary. You will find that even if you had an HRC kit in the motor, you are still running oil temperatures much lower that than you could ever reach with a 600R or 650L. The aluminum frame that the oil resides in is a very good heat transfer qualities any way, an oil cooler is just redundancy.

• cajun

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Know where you're at; have some friends that used to live in that area. As for where, I thought I would try it out in the SHNF and maybe Cherokee Cycle Park once I get it set up. I've got an 2001 XR400R that I've been using at both places and was looking for a little more HP. Don't know how the extra weight will factor in, but I guess I'll find out. I'm still healing up from a 70 + mph endo on the CR500 a few weeks back and my go down to Pelican Island tomorrow with the 650R just to see if I can ride yet. Maybe get make a dent in the first 100 miles on it.

That's pretty funny I bought an XR400R just for SHNF because the 650 is so much work. Man it is a workout shifting all that weight around. But its fun.

Do you have the 650 dual sported?

• jbird710

Posted December 16, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Actually have a 650L dual sport but had planned on keeping the 650R strickly trail. My neighbor wants to trade in his 650L for a 650R and dual sport the 650R.

• weskc35k

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:45 PM

G'day JB welcome to the BRP club i see it's better Red than dead at your place.

• jbird710

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:15 AM

G'day JB welcome to the BRP club i see it's better Red than dead at your place.

Yeah, and if I'd known then what I know now, that Harley would probably be a Gold Wing. Hope things are going well down under - Happy Holidays.

• cajun

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, and if I'd known then what I know now, that Harley would probably be a Gold Wing. Hope things are going well down under - Happy Holidays.

Has the Harley given a few problems? I've been considering picking up a 2005 Soft Tail from a friend of my Dads in Louisiana that only has 100 miles on it. Thought I might be able to bring it back here, ride it a little and the turn it.

• jbird710

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:08 AM

Let's just say the Electra Glide Ultra Classics aren't the best engineered bikes. I've gone through 2 stators in 5 years and a whole list of other issues. But, in the case of your dad's friend's Soft Tail, if he makes you any kind of reasonable deal, you should be able to recover your money when you turn it. Beware of the Harley dealer's service departments around Houston, none of them are customer oriented or do a very good job - especially Mancuso's on the North Loop. Stubbs usually does a some what decent job and there's a new shop opening off of the beltway in Pasadena - around Spencer that may be an option soon. Republic in Sugar Land sucks; Goe's in Angleton does decent work but you'll get your bike back with greasy hand prints all over everything - even the stuff they didn't work on. Haven't tried Mancuso's on 290, Woodlands, nor Conroe so can't speak for them. I've gotten to where I do most of my own work on it now except for digging into the cases for the stators.

• Billahjack

Posted December 18, 2006 - 12:16 PM

If you are concerned about temp, drain the antifreeze and get water wetter with a higher pressure radiator cap. They are both cheap and very effective. You can do one or both.

I only notice mine boils over on slow trails and hill climbs on hot days. I usually turn off the bike when we are waiting for others in groups. If you let it idle, it will eventually boil over no matter what radiators/water wetter/radiator cap you are running. I think a few members put on an electric fan, but that is just another thing for me to break when I crash.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.