06vs.07 YZ450F Vibration...ready to buy!!

16 replies to this topic
  • jaybread

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:09 PM

I am ready to buy either 06 or 07 YZ450F...the reason is my 05 YZ250 2-stroke buzzes and makes my hands tingle and go numb during desert races.
I rode a friends 06 and didn't feel any tingle, but I read Yamaha changed the counterbalancer!!
If I get the 07, which is what I would prefer, is it now going to buzz?
Thanks for any help...I plan on buying Sat. morning!!

• FlynRyn

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I am ready to buy either 06 or 07 YZ450F...the reason is my 05 YZ250 2-stroke buzzes and makes my hands tingle and go numb during desert races.
I rode a friends 06 and didn't feel any tingle, but I read Yamaha changed the counterbalancer!!
If I get the 07, which is what I would prefer, is it now going to buzz?
Thanks for any help...I plan on buying Sat. morning!!

No, The counter balancer has more to do with the pulse of power to the ground on a single then any vibration, your ok. worst case put the 06 balancer in it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:56 PM

No, The counter balancer has more to do with the pulse of power to the ground on a single then any vibration, your ok. worst case put the 06 balancer in it.

The sole purpose of the counter balancer is to offset the natural engine vibrations of a four-stroke single by producing an opposing imbalance within the engine that cancels the crank vibrations out, and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with output power flow. You have probably confused it with the function of a flywheel.

I would very seriously doubt that Yamaha has taken any backward steps on the vibration issue. Any changes in the balancer would have been made to further reduce vibration or to upgrade the bearing support. In any event, the '03 model vibrates much less than your YZ250 does, and I'll bet the '07 is smoother than that.

• Foxman06

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I personally would go with the 06, an average rider wont be able to tell much differnce between the two, and the 06' should be cheaper.

• Ranger18

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:37 AM

I personally would go with the 06, an average rider wont be able to tell much differnce between the two, and the 06' should be cheaper.

I agree.

Plus two strokes like to vibrate, so any 4 stroke you ride will feel better.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:45 PM

The 06 seems to vibrate less that my 04. The 06 is one sweet running machine - you will love it.

• 06 yz450f

Posted December 19, 2006 - 10:41 PM

:thumbsup: I have the 06 yz450f with the white brothers aluminum pro 2 exhaust.Awesome bike and i bet the 07 yz450f is also awesome.

• 04n80Cobra

Posted December 20, 2006 - 03:58 AM

The following is the opinion of an old slow guy who spends twice as much time riding as he does on the computer, so forgive any etiquette violations. I personally have ridden most every WR made since 99 with the exception of the 01-02. My 07 excels in the light feel of the handling (I believe also referred to as flickability) and the smoothness of the engine. I rode it back to back with my 03 YZ 290 Saturday and could not believe how buzzy and wound out the YZ felt out in the open. My intention was to put the WR on the street once I returned from Baja next month but I have now decided it will also see limited trail riding when we go to the bigger more open riding parks. The first thing all of my friends say is it rides as light as the 250 but is way smoother. On the down side it doesn't yet have the power of the 03 WR 450 but I'm working on it. I feel the 03-06 450's are similar and the 07 is in a class of it's own. I'm just lucky it came out at the same time I needed a Baja ride, my luck is usually the next year bike is the best. Our list of bikes for Baja includes 2-07 WR 450's, 1-03 WR 450, 2-03 YZ 450's, 1-05 RMZ 450, 1-07 WR 250 and 1-05 YZ 250. After 9 days of riding I should have more info on this group, if we stay out of jail and the hospital. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted December 20, 2006 - 04:06 AM

I did a 1 hour mx race at the end of the season, by the time the race was over, both my hands were numb right to the wrists! I couldn't even feel the handlebars anymore. This was on my 06, I need to get rubber bar mounts for next season.

• jaybread

Posted December 20, 2006 - 08:23 AM

Well, I bought the 07 last Saturday, went for a break in ride Sunday.
I'm speechless.....the 07 is the smoothest, most comfortable bike I have ever owned. (This is my 17th dirt bike)

My 05 YZ250 2-stroke is like a buzz bomb compared to this 07.
I rode for three hours with no numbness or tingling in my hands.
Plus, it is very controllable and feels great in deep sand. My 03 CRF450 would plow like a farmer, so I am in heaven with this bike.

Thanks for the responses.....:thumbsup:

• FlynRyn

Posted December 20, 2006 - 09:15 AM

The sole purpose of the counter balancer is to offset the natural engine vibrations of a four-stroke single by producing an opposing imbalance within the engine that cancels the crank vibrations out, and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with output power flow. You have probably confused it with the function of a flywheel.

I would very seriously doubt that Yamaha has taken any backward steps on the vibration issue. Any changes in the balancer would have been made to further reduce vibration or to upgrade the bearing support. In any event, the '03 model vibrates much less than your YZ250 does, and I'll bet the '07 is smoother than that.

Gray for the most part you are correct but one of the main reasons the counter balancer was changed from 35% engine balance to 100% was to smooth out the hit for better ridablilty and no other reason. previous models had no issue with vibration otherwise.

P.S. Oh and I do not really feel like getting into anything over this TBH, your wealth of knowledge and contributions to the site far out weigh any of my posts or comments :thumbsup:

• racerxx276

Posted December 20, 2006 - 12:44 PM

I have both the 06 and 07 YZ450F (lucky Me!) There is little difference in vibration between the 2 or should I say what little vibration there is ...(-;

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Gray for the most part you are correct but one of the main reasons the counter balancer was changed from 35% engine balance to 100% was to smooth out the hit for better ridablilty and no other reason. previous models had no issue with vibration otherwise.

P.S. Oh and I do not really feel like getting into anything over this TBH, your wealth of knowledge and contributions to the site far out weigh any of my posts or comments :thumbsup:

The counter balancer of an '06 is already at a 100% factor. The counter balancer is not capable of "smoothing out the hit", because it does nothing that would have such an effect. Besides, the '06 has no power delivery characteristic that anyone would consider a "hit" to smooth out in the first place. Perhaps you can cite the source of your information.

• FlynRyn

Posted December 21, 2006 - 04:05 PM

The counter balancer of an '06 is already at a 100% factor. The counter balancer is not capable of "smoothing out the hit", because it does nothing that would have such an effect. Besides, the '06 has no power delivery characteristic that anyone would consider a "hit" to smooth out in the first place. Perhaps you can cite the source of your information.

I was refering to the 06 acutally sorry for the incomplete info. 07 went back to 35% but due to other changes the hit or lack there of is still comparable to 06

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:35 PM

The CB weights listed for the '07 are different than those for the '06, but of course, the parts book makes no mention of specifically what the difference in weight or balance factor is. The interesting thing is that you could, if you wanted, change them. I'm not sure I would, but they are #'s 14 and 16 below.

I'd still like to know where the info regarding the change in factor came from, though.

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=88119,2,0

• jaybread

Posted December 23, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Wouldn't any weight the crank has to turn slow down the hit?
A heavier CB weight would act much like a heavier flywheel in terms of "hit"
I'm glad to hear the 06 CB will fit my 07, when the time comes for a rebuild, I will put it in.
I can't stand buzzing bars.

• grayracer513

Posted December 23, 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yes, any rotating mass tied to the crank will act as a flywheel, in effect, but a change in balancing factor to a counter balancing shaft doesn't really tell you whether the balancer got heavier, or the crank got lighter. Besides, balancing crankshafts is intrinsically weird because they're a hybrid rotating/reciprocating assembly. Part of the weight of the rod and the whole piston oscillate up and down, a load which is borne by the main bearings, and the rest of the rod's weight and that of the shaft assembly itself is a rotating mass. Deciding how much is which and what to do about the reciprocating weight is what makes it complicated.

But notice that both weights together aren't as much as the piston and small end are.

Anyway, the "hit" in the early 450's is mostly a product of the advance curve.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.