Is the '07 worth $600 more then the '06? Someone who's ridden both please chime in!

37 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:22 AM

At 185 lbs do you think it's necessary to revalve right away?

No, absolutely not. As hard as my son rides ours, I'm not planning on doing anything to it right away. It might be improved, but it's so good now that there's no pressing need.

Set the rear sag at 95-98 (re-check it several times during the first 45 days while the spring settles), and pull the forks up in the clamps 5mm (to the index line). It will corner noticeably better.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Sweet! I got them to come down another $50 on the '06 so it ended up being exactly $700 (plus the guy who quoted the '07 was kind of sketchy on the $6500 price so I'm not convinced he would have backed that up). I left a deposit on the '06 and will pick it up when I head back to AZ at the end of the month. Now the shopping spree begins for all the fun little mods! Thanks for all of you help!

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:34 AM

No, absolutely not. As hard as my son rides ours, I'm not planning on doing anything to it right away. It might be improved, but it's so good now that there's no pressing need.

Set the rear sag at 95-98 (re-check it several times during the first 45 days while the spring settles), and pull the forks up in the clamps 5mm (to the index line). It will corner noticeably better.

Thanks grayracer! What is 95-98 in relation to and how do I set it and re-check it?

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:24 PM

95-98mm

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:28 PM

That's kind of the idea I have. Did you get the FMF Powercore slip on or a full system and did you notice a significant increase in performance and sound? I'm looking at the DR'd as well but it's around $500 I think.

I bought the the Powercore and stainless steel headpipe for about $300 bucks total from the FMF guy at a WORCS race last year. I also bought a Ti headpipe for $100 but that only lasted one crash. My stainless steel one has held up very well. The difference that I noticed is in the mid range. Now granted I just came off of a suped up YZ 250 and this is my first 4 stroke. The advantages that a pipe will give you is so slight that I wouldn't waste my money on it unless I needed it for the spark arrestor. Since your "retired" and I don't work on Fridays usually I hit Speedworld or Canyon. Let me know if your up to it. You never know when you need someone to tell your wife which hospital you're at. :thumbsup:

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:40 PM

I bought the the Powercore and stainless steel headpipe for about $300 bucks total from the FMF guy at a WORCS race last year. I also bought a Ti headpipe for $100 but that only lasted one crash. My stainless steel one has held up very well. The difference that I noticed is in the mid range. Now granted I just came off of a suped up YZ 250 and this is my first 4 stroke. The advantages that a pipe will give you is so slight that I wouldn't waste my money on it unless I needed it for the spark arrestor. Since your "retired" and I don't work on Fridays usually I hit Speedworld or Canyon. Let me know if your up to it. You never know when you need someone to tell your wife which hospital you're at. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. My location still says Arizona but we now live Mazatlan, Mexico. I'll be picking up my new '06 YZ450 on the AZ/UT border in a little over a week though. I had to go just a few miles out of state so that I wouldn't have to pay tax.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:44 PM

95-98mm

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

Cool, that is a very clear explanation of how to check sag...Thanks for the link!

• dano945

Posted December 17, 2006 - 04:22 PM

Man you have the right idea on how to live. Investing in appreciating interests other than depreciating....... Whats the name of the free track in Mazatlan? Revalve your suspension if you arent in the 160-190 lb range. Its the best mod you can make to the bike... look at taller bars Pro-taper Windham bend Its a great bike Have fun....

• nickrl

Posted December 17, 2006 - 07:21 PM

Rode both today back to back on nor cal outdoor track. Jumps, tight turns, fast stuff. The 07' was running good and seemed to come on harder and faster in the mid range. I did NOT notice the longer shock/better front end tracking-turn in. My 06' is jetted well and has some minor valving. Bought the 06' as a left over and saved about $1200 in the San Jose area which I put into bars, big pegs, valving and a chain. Probably would go that route again. However, one might consider that the moment you load that 06' it is a year old bike. Hard to say.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • live4speed

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:20 AM

i havent riddin the 07 but i keep hearing this crap about the bars being to "low" on the 06...i think that is a matter of opinion...im 5'9" 150lbs and the bars seem to fit me just fine! the only thing i had to get used to was the wider bars (i learned to ride on a KDX200 and the bars on that thing i swear are only like 2.5' wide) i guess it just depends on preference...

• red7

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:57 PM

It seems like most people up to about 6' 0" are happy with the stock bars on the '06. I'm right at 6' and haven't tried any other one yet. However, living here in Mexico getting replacement parts are expensive so I'm stocking up on a ton of stuff when I go back to the States in March. I'm going to grab a set of PT Reed/Henry bars, will try them out and whichever ones are better between those and stock will stay on and the others will be backups for when I bend the others. Notice I didn't say if.:ride:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:02 PM

I didn't read the whole thread but here's my opinion.

The 06's are practically perfect. The suspension is amazingly good, the power is brilliant, the stability is beautiful and he turning is great, although it does require the right set up to get it to hook ruts well.

The 07's are basically the same in every regard except for box stock turning ability, but the difference is so minor that most guys won't be able to tell, plus like I said before, the 06 can handle just as well with the right setup. Power on the 07 is lackluster at best. It's very flat and uneventful feeling.

Both are awesome bikes, but IMHO the 06 is the better bike. As far as resale goes, of course the 07 is going to be worth a little more in say, a year, but over the course of a few years it won't make any difference.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2007 - 02:38 PM

i havent riddin the 07 but i keep hearing this crap about the bars being to "low" on the 06...i think that is a matter of opinion...im 5'9" 150lbs and the bars seem to fit me just fine! the only thing i had to get used to was the wider bars (i learned to ride on a KDX200 and the bars on that thing i swear are only like 2.5' wide) i guess it just depends on preference...

The KDX has a "woods" bar on it, designed not to hit trees two at a time.

It's not crap, either. At 5'9" the stock ones may work for you, but at 5'10", they're too low for me. It's not so much that the bars don't feel OK, but the bike handles better with a taller bar on it because of the postion it tends to put the rider in. And then there's tall people, like my son, who's 6'3". There's no way he'd be happy with the stock bend, so we put Windhams on it (+14mm). They feel a little tall for me, but they work great after a couple of laps. When I get one for myself, I'll go with a Henry/Reed bend (+9mm)

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 25, 2007 - 03:12 PM

I've been running the Windham bend on my 06 for a while but have had some serious arm pump issues so I stuck the stockers back on to see if it helps. I normally like short bars even though I am 6'1". I ran Carmichael bend ProTapers on my Honda so I think the taller Windhams had me in the wrong position and made my arm pump worse.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:57 PM

At 185 lbs do you think it's necessary to revalve right away? I will be doing a fair amount of trail riding but one of the big reasons I'm going to a YZ450 is for the better suspension over my WR450 so I was hoping I could avoid a revalve if possible.

Absolutely not. I'm also 185 riding the stock '06 suspension and you will be fine for the type of riding you have described.

Also... congrats on your escape from the cube. I work for a Fortune 50 company and am also looking at potential real estate investments as a way to escape.

Good luck.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted January 25, 2007 - 08:59 PM

It seems like most people up to about 6' 0" are happy with the stock bars on the '06. I'm right at 6' and haven't tried any other one yet. However, living here in Mexico getting replacement parts are expensive so I'm stocking up on a ton of stuff when I go back to the States in March. I'm going to grab a set of PT Reed/Henry bars, will try them out and whichever ones are better between those and stock will stay on and the others will be backups for when I bend the others. Notice I didn't say if.:ride:

I am 6'0", but I also like to stand most of the time. The '06 stock bars were way to short for me. I went with a Windham bend Pro Taper with an additional 10mm riser added beneath them and I love the set up.

• djtroy

Posted January 26, 2007 - 12:55 PM

I've been running the Windham bend on my 06 for a while but have had some serious arm pump issues so I stuck the stockers back on to see if it helps. I normally like short bars even though I am 6'1". I ran Carmichael bend ProTapers on my Honda so I think the taller Windhams had me in the wrong position and made my arm pump worse.

I have blue Renthal Twinwalls on mine. I not sure what bend but as far as the arm pump goes im shocked. I have not rode in 2.5 years and this is my first 450 ever. I figured I would be doomed. I had arm pump the first time i went riding. I had the bars up too high so I lowered them down a little bit and boom my arm pump went away. I run a set of TAG grips and these things are like butter. I didnt even get any blisters on these baby hands of mine. I got more arm pump on my old 125. I guess it depends where you run your bars as much as it does what bend they are.

• Pukeballs

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:46 PM

just toss a yz cam in your wr. save you a bunch of $$$$$$$

Lol. Was that your wife posting again?:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.