Is the '07 worth $600 more then the '06? Someone who's ridden both please chime in!

37 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Man, talk about the endless decision.... I finally have decided (I think) that I'm going to get a YZ450 and get rid of my WR450. So I've been calling around to check on '06 prices as I figured it would be worth saving $1,000 or so off of the '07 and using that towards mods. The cheapest out the door I've found is $5,800 for the '06 and then one place I called that didn't have an 06 said he'd give me an '07 out the door for $6,400.

I already justified the increase price on an '06 YZ compared to what I can sell my 04 WR for but now I'm struggling with whether or not to spend even more on an '07. I have the money but I'm super frugal and I just retired and moved to Mexico. Not to sound like a prick but I'm only 33 so I do have to be wise or I'll end up running out of money and have to go back to work in 20 years.:thumbsup:

Can someone put some dollar amounts to the changes on the 07 and also give an overall first impression on performance?

Thanks so much!

• red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Also, how much is just 1 year difference effect resale...not that I'm planning on selling it but I have to take that into consideration as well.

• Blank Stare

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:37 PM

just toss a yz cam in your wr. save you a bunch of $$$$$$$

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:54 PM

just toss a yz cam in your wr. save you a bunch of $$$$$$$

You can't be serious. How do you propose he deal with the weight and suspension deficit, to say nothing of the handling, short of spending "a bunch of $$$$$$$" :thumbsup:

It probably is worth $600 more on the resale value question alone, but only if resold within, say, 3-4 years. It will level out after about that long, and if you keep it longer, it won't really be a factor.

• red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I really don't think resale will come into play. What about the performance/handling upside? Is there one? Is there $600 worth of one? It could be more like $700 if the place that will match the '06 price won't match the '07 price that a Utah dealer gave as I'll spend that in gas but I'm hoping they will match it which is why I'm saying 600.

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Can someone put some dollar amounts to the changes on the 07 and also give an overall first impression on performance?

What about the performance/handling upside? Is there $600 worth of one?

Well, the bars that most people change on the '06 because they are too low are 8mm higher on the '07, and that will save $80-90. But if you're taller than 6'1", you might still want a different bend. Otherwise, the handling improvements on the '07 are adjustments to make the base '07 match the way most guys set up the '06's, so that's a $0 gain in terms of money you would have to spend. Beyond that, ask yourself how much a one finger clutch is worth compared to a two finger clutch.

The '06 is probably everything you need it to be.

• AZcrRider

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:02 PM

I would say yes, it is worth it. I ride my friends YZ every year.. ( he trades it and gets a new one.)

I bought the 07. It convinced me that much. It turns better, no bar replacement, and you have to figure a 800 - 1000 in first year depreciation.

Of course , if you kept the bike > 3 years the depreciation becomes less of a factor.

They had an 06 on the floor when I got the 07 for 6199 (the yellow one), and they were going to give me the 07 for 6399. ( plus tax, etc.) So for me 200 difference was a no brainer.

Still extremely happy after a month plus. And I came off a 2 stroke !- the lower centralized weight of the 06- 07's which actually made them feel like the weight they were was another deciding factor.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:02 PM

I own both an 06 and an 07. I like riding my 07 more than my 06, it is just more finished. Most of the changes are small but together it makes the 07 pretty nice to ride. Is it worth the extra money? Well it would be to me, but ultimitly that is your decision.

• no air charlie

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Jeffboyd47, What is your experience with the power output of the 07 compared to the 06? One magazine stated that the quiet muffler really hurt the low end performance of the 07, but then a different magazine stated the 07 has more low end than the 06. What is the "real story"?

• red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Well, the bars that most people change on the '06 because they are too low are 8mm higher on the '07, and that will save $80-90. But if you're taller than 6'1", you might still want a different bend. Otherwise, the handling improvements on the '07 are adjustments to make the base '07 match the way most guys set up the '06's, so that's a $0 gain in terms of money you would have to spend. Beyond that, ask yourself how much a one finger clutch is worth compared to a two finger clutch.

The '06 is probably everything you need it to be.

What are the 06 adjustments to the suspension that make it handle more like the 07? I weigh 185.

The exact difference in price will be $650 otd including gas to pick them up. I bought some protaper 7/8 henry/reed bars for my WR but never put them on, are the stock ones better than those?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Jeffboyd47, What is your experience with the power output of the 07 compared to the 06? One magazine stated that the quiet muffler really hurt the low end performance of the 07, but then a different magazine stated the 07 has more low end than the 06. What is the "real story"?

I'm wondering about the power as well. For the price of an 07 I could get the 06 plus dr d exhaust (or other if you can recommend a better value) + a few extra goodies. Would the possible increase in power of the '07 be more then an '06 with a dr d exhaust? If I do go with the '07 I won't get an exhaust at least initially.

I think I'm leaning towards the '06 unless someone can quantify the benefits of the '07. Do the wave rotors make a difference in braking btw? My friends Kaw 250 2 stroke has them and his brakes are so soft compared to my WR but I'm sure it's not the rotors fault.

• Nitroused383

Posted December 16, 2006 - 12:47 AM

What I want to know is how did you retire at 33? I am 21 and would like to know your secret.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:10 AM

What I want to know is how did you retire at 33? I am 21 and would like to know your secret.

Yeah, no crap. I feel like I'll have to work till I'm 140. :thumbsup:
What about health insurance?
You a drug dealer or a scientist? :devil:

Oh yeah,
Get the '07.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:49 AM

For a 600 dollar difference - buy the 07

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:00 AM

I put a FMF Powercore exhaust on mine for $300 which will leave you with $350 to spend on goodies.
New TM Designworks chain slider $45
Cool blue Ride Engineering axel blocks $49
Blue Engine/oil plugs $60
New Dunlop 756 front tire $50
Lightspeed wide SS foot pegs $99
New Sunline shifter (I bent mine) $30
Works Connection Skid plate $60
New handlebars because the 7/8 wont work $ 80

you have a factory looking bike for about the difference.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Real Estate! I used to work for Motorola/ON semiconductor, in a cubicle, in a job I hated (see Office Space and you'll get the picture). Well, they decided that they wanted to send our whole department over to the Czech Republic because......well, they thought Americans didn't need jobs or income. The layoffs came in waves and I suppose I was fortunate enough to be in the last wave and had been given about 10 months notice. I had saved up about $20k since I had started working (like I said, I'm very frugal and when my friends were waisting money on depreciating liabilities like boats or BMW's I kept driving my piece of crap '94 Honda and started buying assets. I bought 5 homes over that 10 month period working my day job and then working all night remodeling the homes and turning them into rentals. My wife was a trooper and we lived like hermits investing everything we could into assets. Then after being layed off I had time and bought a few more then sold some and reinvested the money in other homes or land. We netted about a Million in 4 years. We paid cash for a 4000 sq ft 5 bedroom, 4 bath, 3 living room with a pool home on the beach in Mazatlan (2 blocks from a great free MX track) and I am involved with a group of investors in AZ where we buy large chunks of land and resell it to huge builders. Now that we have some money to invest with, we conservatively average about 50% returns on our money year over year so not doing anything we make way more then we spend living down here.

Moral of the story....you can either work hard for your money or let your money work hard for you while you go play. We sacrificed and lived like poppers during those 4 years when all of our friends were enjoying life and spending more then they made on liabilities while we kept spending every dime we could on appreciating assets that would generate money rather than debt.

Gosh, just typing all of that brought me back to the ground and confirmed my decision. I'm not a good enough rider to enjoy the subtle changes to the '07 so I'm saving some money and going with the '06.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:19 AM

In my opinion, stock vs stock the 06 and 07 run about the same (although the 07 is much more quiet than the 06). I run Dr D systems on both bikes and the power is improved over a broad range in both cases, but the 07 runs stronger than the 06 with the aftermarket pipes.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:34 AM

I think you'd be better off buying the '06 and using the leftover cash to revalve that awesome Kayaba SSS suspension. :thumbsup:

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:42 AM

I put a FMF Powercore exhaust on mine for $300 which will leave you with $350 to spend on goodies.
New TM Designworks chain slider $45
Cool blue Ride Engineering axel blocks $49
Blue Engine/oil plugs $60
New Dunlop 756 front tire $50
Lightspeed wide SS foot pegs $99
New Sunline shifter (I bent mine) $30
Works Connection Skid plate $60
New handlebars because the 7/8 wont work $ 80

you have a factory looking bike for about the difference.

That's kind of the idea I have. Did you get the FMF Powercore slip on or a full system and did you notice a significant increase in performance and sound? I'm looking at the DR'd as well but it's around $500 I think.

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I think you'd be better off buying the '06 and using the leftover cash to revalve that awesome Kayaba SSS suspension. :thumbsup:

At 185 lbs do you think it's necessary to revalve right away? I will be doing a fair amount of trail riding but one of the big reasons I'm going to a YZ450 is for the better suspension over my WR450 so I was hoping I could avoid a revalve if possible.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.