Swingarm/Steering stem grease questions...

8 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted December 15, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I want to tear down the BRP this winter and totally grease all of the above, probably a stupid question but is there a specific type grease that is reccomended for the suspension parts? From what I have been reading it seems I can do most of the swingarm greasing without dealing withthe special honda tools that go for 90 bucks.

• cleonard

Posted December 15, 2006 - 02:39 PM

Take a look at the Honda manual for a type. Sometimes the suggest the moly paste that is available at a Honda dealer.

Usually it really doesn't matter as to the exact type. Waterproof is a good idea, an I either use that or a moly type grease, or even the moly paste.

• Barro

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:00 PM

I use Aluminum moly grease because of the linkage is often in water,

Go to www.mcmaster.com, in page 2022 there is a blurb on greases. After reading it my first choice was part number 1208K22 (the one I use) and a second choice would have been 1372K16.

Choose the one you like. McMacster has a good selection in stock.

Eduardo.

• creeky

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:08 PM

I am not a big fan of Bel-Ray products, BUT...they market a very good waterproof grease. CRC also sells an excellent waterproof grease.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:05 PM

here's what I use, a 50/50 mixture of high temp wheel bearing grease and anti-seize. Just mix it real good, the anit-seize helps to displace water. Ive used this on my R for 3 years and have never replace and bearings or spacers and yes I put miles on this thing :thumbsup:

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:40 PM

The swingarm bolt will tap out when you remove the nut(use a socket extension), you don't have to fool with the locknut on the brake pedal side. Remember the bearings are needle type, so push the bushings out only far enough to allow greasing and still keep the bearings in place. Hope this helps.

• jbird710

Posted December 15, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I am not a big fan of Bel-Ray products, BUT...they market a very good waterproof grease. CRC also sells an excellent waterproof grease.

+1 for Bel-Ray. Use it on all of my CR500's and XR400. I haven't done the 650L or 650R; but both are due and will be done soon.

http://www.belray.co...rtbike&q=grease

• wickedsprint

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Thanks guys, this is going to be my winter project, as well as scoring some new rims for it as I bent the front one pretty nicely on a friggin rock. If I am not completely removing the swingarm what is the easiest way to get all of the old bad grease out?

• motopsycho650

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Bel-ray water-proof grease. I use it to seal my air filter as well. I don't use any other Bel-ray products, but the water-proof grease is great stuff.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.