My 06 will be sitting for a while

15 replies to this topic
  • kxman

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:17 AM

Yesterday was my last ride for a while. Not sure how long. After we finished riding I gave her a good cleaning and polishing. Then drained the gas tank, lubed the chain, ran the bike around the yard until the carb ran out of gas and put her on the stand. Did I do enough storage preperation or is there something more I should do?
Reason I won't be riding for a while is I am going in today for Rotator Cuff surgery. Anyone else been through this? How long was your recovery time?

• billyo

Posted December 15, 2006 - 07:05 AM

been through it 3 years ago. partial cuff tear and a torn labrum. shoulder was constantly popping out. it was a 5 hour surgery for me. they cut me wide open and put screws in my scapula to hold the labrum back on the bone. fixed the partial cuff tear. then sewed me all back up. all said and done, i was back on the bike at moderate speed at 10 weeks. started rehab 3 weeks out of surgery. doc said i healed and got my strength back abnormally quick because i was already in really good shape prior. i dont know your physical state but a general figure will be 3-4 months on an open surgey. probably less for an arthroscopic repair. it all depends on how much damage is in there and what type of procedure you and your doc decide on.
rehab it well. follow the protocol and do it at home as well. dont get discouraged because in the beginning it is quite humbling. best of luck... you'll be back on the bike real soon. your speed will come back as well. psychologically you'll favor the repaired shoulder a bit when you first get back. you'll be "death gripping" for a while. once your confidence in the shoulder comes back you will ease back into your normal groove. :thumbsup:

btw- new to this board. been on honda crf250's last 3 years. picked up a new 07 yz450. 4 rides on it. so far so good. man these big bores are moto weapons. :devil:

• Yamahafan

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:06 AM

If you have time, change your oil and oil filter so you are ready to go in the spring - used oil can be acidic from combustion gases so you don't want it to sit over winter.

I would also take two minutes to unscrew the float bowl and drain it - there is always a little gas in the bottom of the float bowl which is likely to go bad over the winter. Take another 30 seconds to spray any exposed STEEL that is prone to rust with WD-40. I always spray inside my axles and the swing arm linch pin (through the hole). Use an air compressor to make sure everything is dry.

Don't forget to watch Canadian Motocross on Speed this Sunday at 2PM EST!!!

• Bigcr

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Welcome to the club. My '07 has 3 rides on it and now it will sit untill March or April. I snapped my pectoral tendon and had to have a piece of a cadaver put in to patch it up. Just make sure you do ALL of the prescribed re-hab.

• kxman

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:42 PM

that sounds painful. how did you snap it?

• PK

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:30 PM

Damn, that is nasty...

• Bigcr

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:44 AM

that sounds painful. how did you snap it?

I was riding a local track and a guy hit me from behind. I fell off my bike as he went by and my arm got caught in his rear wheel. I still consider myself lucky that the crash didn't do a lot more damage.

• PK

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Your lucky you didn't lose an arm. I live under the motto that you should be thankful for what you got because remarkably, it could always be worse. It may be hard to think like that when your all jacked up but it's got me through the time I broke both my arms and when I broke my back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AlkalineOne

Posted December 17, 2006 - 03:32 AM

I would also take two minutes to unscrew the float bowl and drain it - there is always a little gas in the bottom of the float bowl which is likely to go bad over the winter.

be careful. i did this with my 426 for about 6 months, and when i went to ride it again the float was sticking, causing fuel leakage from the bottom of the carb. float needed replacement

• YZfamily

Posted December 17, 2006 - 11:03 AM

I had rotator cuff surgery years ago, I was down a good 2 months followed by rehab. Your shoulder will never be the same! At least mine isn't!

• Bigcr

Posted December 17, 2006 - 01:00 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery years ago, I was down a good 2 months followed by rehab. Your shoulder will never be the same! At least mine isn't!

Most people stop doing the therapy once their Dr. releases them. The key is to keep working it the rest of your life. I use the exercises I learned from a previous injury as a warm-up for my workouts.

• TMAC25

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Yep I tore my rotator cuff mid summer and was out 3 months, giving me time to sell the 03, buy a brand new 06 and pimp it out. My shoulder still hurts and it’s been 6 months. Good luck man, I wish you the best. O and the 06 is pritty sweet.

• kxman

Posted December 19, 2006 - 01:21 AM

Well, I had the surgery Friday. Wish I would have just let it go. Never imagined the amount of pain and discomfort I would be in. There was more damage than first thought and many bone spurs that had to be dealt with. It is getting better but there is a long way to go before it feels good.

• Yamahafan

Posted December 19, 2006 - 05:26 AM

If you are still sore next spring call me -- I will come down and give your bike a workout so the gas doesn't go bad.:devil: :thumbsup:

• TD-3

Posted December 19, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I had my shoulder repaired last January. After the intitial pain and discomfort I felt pretty good, got out of the sling in 3 weeks. Then I tried doing too much, too soon and set myself back a couple weeks. Just because it feels better don't be fooled into thinking it is. I started losing motion, Dr. called it "frozen shoulder". It took 2 months of therapy and a lot of work on my own to get my range of motion back. I was able to ride all summer, but had to really take it easy. I was told in most cases it takes a solid year for complete healing, about where I'm at.

Go slow, listen to your Dr. and therapist and you'll do fine. Oh and enjoy the good pain meds :thumbsup:

• YZfamily

Posted December 19, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Not to bum you out but, your shoulder will never be the same! I've had 2 surgeries on the same shoulder-rotator cuff and a grade 3 separated shoulder. The rotator cuff surgery hurt a lot more. You would be surprised how important your shoulder is when it's taken away from you. It hurt just to walk because your shoulders are used fopr balance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.