About to buy a 2006 YZ450F and need some info.

19 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:56 PM

I've been going back and forth for the last month or so but I think I've made the decision to pick up a new '06 YZ450 and sell my WR450. It's tough because I love that WR on the trails but I've started to ride track quite a bit and the WR suspension is killing me. I have a few questions that you guys could help me out with.

1. It sounds like the stock gearing is great for track but I'll also be doing quite a bit of trail riding some tight medium speed stuff and some wide open(no really slow technical) stuff. Is there a compromise gearing I could do where my bike would perform great on the track but still open up on the trails? Do you recommend just having 2 front sprockets and changing them out depending upon what I'm riding or can I find something to bridge he gap between trail and track? I'm a track newbie (only ridden 5 days) and the WR is my first bike so the WR gearing seems ok for me on the track since I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm learning quick and already feel comfortable on 30'+ doubles (hoping to try a 45' triple soon) and guys at the track are telling me I don't know what I'm missing in a mx bike. I say this to point out that even if I widen the gearing a little I probably won't mind it as it will be better than my WR on the track. Also, I'm 33 and have zero desire to start racing at the track so I'm just out to have fun and get some air time (man, flying is addicting!!!).

2. What is a flywheel and how does the weight effect it. Probably a dumb question but I've been told that a heavier fly weight will make the YZ perform better on trails. What are the trade offs on the track?

3. What type of gas mileage are you getting out of your YZs on the trails? What is the best way to extend the range without adding to much weight or top heaviness on the track? I have 4 large MSR fuel bottles (about a gallon combined) and thought I could bring those along on trail rides in my camel back. I realize that adds weight to me but I don't think weight would be as big a deal on the trail as it would on the track and I would empty them as soon as I burn through a gallon of gas.

4. I recently moved to Mazatlan, Mexico but will be coming back at the first of the month to visit family and will pick up the YZ then. I'll only be there for a week so I need to pick up anything I'll need for the YZ before I head over the border. What are the necessary mods and what will I need to get given my riding scenario in what I described in 1? This is really just the important stuff to get it dialed in initially as I'll be back in March to do taxes and get more stuff once I've ridden the bike some. I just know I would have been bummed had I taken a new WR over the border with out the necessary stuff to do the free mods as the thing was a pig when I first bought it!

5. I weigh 185 without gear and the main reason I'm switching to a YZ is due to the need for a better suspension then my WR. Even with the YZ will I need to get stiffer springs? Revalve? I just don't want to bottom out anymore but at the same time I want the bike to perform good on trails so I'll do what I need to to make it perform.

6. There are some good offroad races in my area which is probably the one thing that makes me second guess selling my WR. What would need to be done to get a YZ to perform as good or better than my WR? If it's doable the decision is made and I'm putting money down on a YZ asap.

7. Anthing else I should know or expect if I go with the YZ?

I know this was long but I really appreciate you guys helping dial me in!

• Ranger18

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:29 AM

The 06 yzf450 is a great bike. Prsonally I wouldn't regear it at all. I ride a combination of track and desert, my buddy has a WR and I hang with him no problem, infact his bike doesn't have much more top speed than mine, maybe 3MPH. Another reason not to regear is that the WR has a lower 1st gear than the YZF so if you went with a taller gear than you would lose the power that you need for those slow rockey hill climbs.

You won't need to respring the bike for 185. when I bought my bike I weight 225 but I wasn't riding track yet, so with the combination of just desert riding and new stiff springs the bike felt great. Now I ride alot of track and I weigh 190lbs and the bike feels great, The biggest jumps I do are 80ft. The bike was made for the 170-185 lbs range.

Upgrades to consider would be Radiator guards(devol) or cages(WC)
Devol or GYTR skid plate, new chain, and if you have the $$ pick up an exhaust so you can get the low end power to hit harder.
I personally don't like desert tanks, they chaing the geometry of the bike to wear the bike doesn't handle like it was made to. I haven't tested this bike but my old CRF got about 70miles per tank, so I think it's safe to say that you can get 60 MPG

Last thing. A flywheel weight takes away a little of the motors power, And makes the power come on even smother. The main advantage is that it helps keep the bike from stalling on the slow stuff. The disadvantage is it takes away some power, and a lot of hit.

Just my .02 :thumbsup:

• red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that my weight is within the springs/suspension limit. What about the stock suspension on trails? Can I dial it in with the adjustments or would a revalve really be better? I don't mind a little stiff I just hate when my WR goes limp on me even on the trails.

• Ranger18

Posted December 15, 2006 - 02:52 PM

At first the bike is going to feel pretty stiff, and it may stay that way for a while because of the Ti springs. Once it is broken in I think you will like it alot, maybe even more than the WR suspension. If your tails are rutted up like the ones here in socal than the stock valving should work great. If your trails are made up of alot of rocks than you might want to revalve, but I'm no expert on that subject.

One thing to keep in mind with this bike is check your sag every couple of weeks, I think it was about 4 weeks before my rear spring was fully broken in. Maybe if I would have been riding track when I got the bike it would be broken in faster.

• Foxman06

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:10 PM

I would definately look into a gytr pipe or DR.D pipe. Jetting will probably not be neccessary, since the climate in arizona is that close to mexico, right?

I would also recommend a very small flywheel weight, maybe 3 or 4 ounces. This will make it easier for you to control the bike in the trails, and not make you lose to much hit on the track.

I hear the Devol skid or glide plates are great, and you should definately pick one up.

Tires also, i have NO expertise with tires, but im sure someone else does. Ask about dry sand, hardpack tires.

The suspension should be great for your weight, and like Ranger18 said, the Ti springs will take a little longer to break-in but once broken in they will be great for you.

Lastly hand guards, and extra plugs. lol

My .02 cents

• red7

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Good stuff....keep it coming as I'm making a list and will start ordering tomorrow.

• Ranger18

Posted December 17, 2006 - 09:34 AM

I can't think of much else. Their are three things you might want to consider.
1. After you change your oil filter out a couple of times, you might want to switch to a scotts stainless(reusable) filter - it will save you money in the long run.
2. Pick up an hour meter so you can keep track of maintenance
3. get a no-toil air filter, and air filter cleaner. I only mention this becuase I like how easy it is to service their filters.

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2006 - 10:38 AM

1. After you change your oil filter out a couple of times, you might want to switch to a scotts stainless(reusable) filter - it will save you money in the long run.

Not to mention it's a better filter in the first place.

• johnny_rmz

Posted December 17, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I just bought one... don't like it. Think I am going to sell it and get me a YZ 250 2 stroke.

• briank3000

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I to had a wr and started track riding. Change the rear sproket to a 48 and you can stretch 3rd and 4th gear great for desert. 2nd is perfect for all single track. You will not be sorry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted December 24, 2006 - 07:42 AM

First of all if want tight trails then buy a 50T rear sprocket. That will pull second gear down and make it more useable on trails. You can also ride that gearing in mx tracks that are more technical. I switch back and forth from the 49T to the 50T depending on the track I am riding. Buy a different handlebar bend. I bought Twin Walls from Renthal (Emig- 93mm) and Pro Taper (Windham - 99mm) and I think for my height (6'0) that the Renthal bend is the best.
BTW don't mess with your front sprocket. Have fun.

• YZfamily

Posted December 24, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Another thing you might want to get is a steering stabilizer, I use a GPR stabilizer and love it!

• red7

Posted December 25, 2006 - 09:43 AM

First of all if want tight trails then buy a 50T rear sprocket. That will pull second gear down and make it more useable on trails. You can also ride that gearing in mx tracks that are more technical. I switch back and forth from the 49T to the 50T depending on the track I am riding. Buy a different handlebar bend. I bought Twin Walls from Renthal (Emig- 93mm) and Pro Taper (Windham - 99mm) and I think for my height (6'0) that the Renthal bend is the best.
BTW don't mess with your front sprocket. Have fun.

You guys who are running 48 or 50 rear, is it even noticeable? Going up or down 1 tooth would just be a 2% change from stock right (1 tooth/48 or 50)? I would think that would be such as small amount but yet I've heard a lot of people commenting on the big improvement it makes. BTW-how quickly can you switch out a rear sprocket once you've done it a few times? How about the front sprocket?

• hillclimbguy

Posted December 25, 2006 - 10:17 AM

We have two 06 450s. One for son and one for me. I weigh 200lbs and my son weighs about 150. I run a 53 rear sprocket and Jr runs a 52. We do a lot of real tught stuff in the trees above Palmdale, Ca. When it rains we run a 12 at the front. Very seldom do we ever see 5th gear.
We do have Scotts Stablizers on both bikes. And both have 18" rear wheels.
Im considering putting on flywheel weights (real light ones). They do tend to stall sometimes in the real tight stuff.
Good luck, you'll love the bikes, we do.
Merry Christmas!

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:08 AM

You guys who are running 48 or 50 rear, is it even noticeable? Going up or down 1 tooth would just be a 2% change from stock right (1 tooth/48 or 50)? I would think that would be such as small amount but yet I've heard a lot of people commenting on the big improvement it makes. BTW-how quickly can you switch out a rear sprocket once you've done it a few times? How about the front sprocket?

To me yes it is very noticeable especially on certain jumps. Having the stock second gear alllows me to do a lot of the small jumps out of tight turns when I ran the 50T gearing I would come up short. A tighter technical track would require me to change gearing to stay in the meat of the power band. Howerver,a big part of it is personal preference and most likely will change as your riding ability changes.
BTW I only ride mx tracks, trails ruin my tires. :thumbsup:

• Oouthere

Posted December 26, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I have the '06 YZ450F and thought tight trails were a bit much, a lot of peppy torque...and this is coming off an '04 WR450F. Threw a Rekluse on her and she is great! I'm 240lbs and the bike does not need new springs nor gearing. And holeshots...yeah baby! The Rekluse will either put you in front or right on their tail!

You've chosen a great bike, but I'd look into a Rekluse for the trails and arm pump issues.

Rich

• motoag93

Posted December 26, 2006 - 05:13 PM

red, what kind of price do you anticipate paying for the 06? I live in texas and am in the market for one.

• kxman

Posted December 26, 2006 - 09:29 PM

I have a Rekluse coming for my 06. How did your install go? What clearance did you end up with? Are you using the perch adjuster or just the one on the engine?

• red7

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:18 PM

red, what kind of price do you anticipate paying for the 06? I live in texas and am in the market for one.

I paid $5,800 out the door. I've seen much better deals but this was the best I could find on the West coast that still had some to sell.

• red7

Posted December 26, 2006 - 11:20 PM

I have the '06 YZ450F and thought tight trails were a bit much, a lot of peppy torque...and this is coming off an '04 WR450F. Threw a Rekluse on her and she is great! I'm 240lbs and the bike does not need new springs nor gearing. And holeshots...yeah baby! The Rekluse will either put you in front or right on their tail!

You've chosen a great bike, but I'd look into a Rekluse for the trails and arm pump issues.

Rich

Yeah, I had the same '04 WR450. Good first dirt bike but it's definitely holding me back on the track. I'm so addicted to track right now that I haven't gone trail riding lately but I'll keep the Rekluse in mind for down the road.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.