Any ideas from WR side about cold sieze?

8 replies to this topic
  • Glen_T

Posted December 31, 2001 - 05:43 PM

Well, being a part of this fantastic site is beginning to be the only good thing to come of owning a YZ 00/426. On Wednesday I spent the day tearing up the track at Elsinore with no problems. I came home, cleaned my air filter, loaded up this morning and went to Jawbone Canyon. Moist sand/soil, good weather and all day to take advantage of it. I couldn't wait. I started my 426 (2nd kick) and let it sit for a moment, then I took it up a small hill nearby. My intention was to warm it up a bit and then check the oil. (Which should have been fine.) At the top of the hill, my bike stalled. When I tried to start it I found that it would start, but not idle. I coasted down the hill and went to work trying to figure out the problem. It is not completely siezed, but there is more friction while kicking through the stroke than there should be. Enough to keep the bike from running. We loaded up and drove home completely bummed and remembering how at 12 years old, my cr5 inspired more confidence than this new paragon of technology and by all accounts but mine, reliability. Any ideas on what to look for, and has anyone cold siezed their bike? Could this be anything else? I should add that in September I replaced the piston with a wiesco standard replacement. I thought it would be smart preventative maintenance. Maybe I was wrong. I was never able to properly check the oil, but I did loosen the oil galley bolt on the head and while kicking the motor over it did weep some oil. I have no reason to think that it was starved for oil, and the coolant level was good. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

• allinson

Posted December 31, 2001 - 09:33 PM

MY friends 426 did the same thing. His bike stalled on him and he could not kick it over. He held open the compression release and kicked it over about 15 times and it seems that things cleared up. I think that sometimes these bikes can get loaded when cold or when killing it on a technical trail. When they load up with fuel and air, they need to be cleaned out. When doing this, be sure to turn the gas off. Good luck

• Taffy

Posted January 01, 2002 - 01:51 AM

yes but the difference is that this man has got a strange new feeling whilst kicking it over.

i would suggest that there is a chance that your gudgeon pin circlip has popped out.

Taffy

• Glen_T

Posted January 01, 2002 - 08:35 AM

Taffy, I think you may be on to something, I'ts definitely not loaded up. There is too much resistance while kicking it. Even whith the spark plug out it is still stiff. One question though, the gudgeon pin is the pin that connects the rod to the piston? Sorry for being a moron, I've just never heard that term before. Thanks for your time guys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Taffy

Posted January 01, 2002 - 12:18 PM

yes it's the latin word for "short penis thrusting" and was used by alexander the great as a penis extender which he spotted by reading the local 'cyber scrolls'.

because of the violent flick of the wrist he induced, when the first engine was developed by mr benz he called it the

WRIST PIN!!!

Taffy

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Taffy ]

• MN_Kevin

Posted January 01, 2002 - 01:25 PM

Taff,
I can see you are opening up!! :)

• Guy

Posted January 01, 2002 - 02:21 PM

:D :) OH Bugger! The tears of laughter have just shorted my keyboard LMFAO! :D :D :D :D

• Glen_T

Posted January 01, 2002 - 02:47 PM

LOL Taffy, I'll add that to my vocab!!! Thanks for the insight. I'm gonna tear it down in a day or two. I'll keep you posted.
GLEN

• Glen_T

Posted January 03, 2002 - 11:54 AM

Well, if I knew how to post a picture I would, but I removed the oil filter today and it is plum full of aluminum shavings. It kinda depressed me, so I think I'll let it sit an hour or two before I go tearing it down some more. I'm sure the piston and cylinder are toast. Plain dry toast with no butter or jam to ease it down. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.