CA plates. Can truth be spread like lies?

14 replies to this topic
  • amaltman

Posted December 14, 2006 - 11:40 AM

I cant believe how well rumors, lies, and facts of fantasy are believed, and passed on, never seeming to die. The truth lives, but doesnt get much air time. I must take a stand against all the BS spreading know it alls. I have even heard MC dealers and salespeople repeating crap they havn't a clue about, like its gospel.
California registration and plates for an xr650r, (probably any non 2 stroke) is NOT impossible. Its NOT even diffucult. If you are intelligent enough to read this message, you have enough brains to get a BRP plated. Follow the simple rules (DMV will even help you) and its done. I have done so this year ('06), its not rocket science-not even brain surgery. The whole process is really very simple.
I only bother with this rant cause Id love to see EVERYONE happy as me, and on a BRP. Who needs cars? Over the mountains and down to the Mall, if we all rode instead of drove, gas would cost a nickle, and the Taliban would be tryin to sell sand. Thanks for listening, and please help spread some truth!:thumbsup:

• pigryder

Posted December 14, 2006 - 12:10 PM

amen brother

• rebelventurer

Posted December 14, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Amaltman, the rumors I have been hearing are that if a bike is two years older or more CA is revoking some of those plates? If its a two stroke CA is revoking those plates? If said tag is allowed to expire without renewal after six months its automatically revoked?
All of you in CA consider yourselves lucky for now anyway. In FL you can not get a plate for any off road bikes, dual sported or not!
It is just a matter of time before CA follows the tree hugging practice that is currently in effect here.
But you can go buy a $30K Harley put straight pipes on it and ride all you want without a helmet? Go figure, its all about $$$$$$$$$
Oh welcome to TT, the best on the web!

• zwxetlp

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Does the 'R' actually have an on-highway emission label? Last time I checked they were just certified for off-highway use. Thats really the only requirement to keep you from just throwing some lights and signals on a bike to plate it in CA.

• squatpuke

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:27 PM

That's why the L is so much better...

(did I just say that?)

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I'll give a 6.5 overall for the rant, but all the way to 9.0 for pissing off by insulting brother readers of this sitE. Anyway, I'll add something.

Most peope talking about this topic are just talking, speculating, because so far as I have seen no body has had a plate taken away, but just like when The Republik Of Kalifornia was going to inspect and revoke plates for muscle cars, and super street Jap cars...the couldn't do it for fear of class action lawsuits. I have a CA. plated XR600R. It has had a plate for 3 years and i now live in Albuquerque NM, so I don;t worry about my plate being taken away since all I have to do is register it here. I was for a while worried for others in Cal having plates taken because I know about 100 guys there with Supermotos that started as dirtbikes. BTW, almost nobody who has an XR abything would have had plates taken under the original decision because the state of Kalifornia was toying with the idea to onbly revoke plates on vehicles which had red stickers originally.

So, I beleive all the plate revocation is a bunch of craP.

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2006 - 02:26 PM

I cant believe how well rumors, lies, and facts of fantasy are believed, and passed on, never seeming to die. The truth lives, but doesnt get much air time. I must take a stand against all the BS spreading know it alls. I have even heard MC dealers and salespeople repeating crap they havn't a clue about, like its gospel.
California registration and plates for an xr650r, (probably any non 2 stroke) [COLOR="Blue"]is[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]NOT impossible[/COLOR]. Its NOT even diffucult. If you are intelligent enough to read this message, you have enough brains to get a BRP plated. Follow the simple rules (DMV will even help you) and its done. I have done so this year ('06), its not rocket science-not even brain surgery. The whole process is really very simple.
I only bother with this rant cause Id love to see EVERYONE happy as me, and on a BRP. Who needs cars? Over the mountains and down to the Mall, if we all rode instead of drove, gas would cost a nickle, and the Taliban would be tryin to sell sand. Thanks for listening, and please help spread some truth!:thumbsup:

Maybe some of you intelligent readers missed "is not impossible"

I did and am happy, have a freind that did four months ago and is happy, yes, the XR650R has emission label but, says nothing about street use, it is on the rear fender. California! Doesn't meen you can get a XR650R plated just meens I did as has others, We have a 2006 CRF450X plated in Beaumont, CA they are not rumors. Palm spring DMV gave David a plate for his XR650R without even looking at it. It was bone stock with no blinkers, horn, stop light, nothing but, it has a plate on the back fender. One trick is to have it signed off as converted BEFORE you go to the DMV! Most miss this little thing and it all crashes to a complete stop for that bike forever. I paid the extra money at John Burr's to have the paper work done ($40) to say that it was street worthy. They had to check all the bikes at the DMV to see that they were and now I have plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zwxetlp

Posted December 14, 2006 - 03:19 PM

So, I beleive all the plate revocation is a bunch of craP.

You don't believe they can, or don't believe they will?

See here:
http://www.district3...ead.php?t=11730

And here ( VC 8800 (a) ):
http://www.dmv.ca.go.../d03/vc8800.htm

• rebelventurer

Posted December 14, 2006 - 03:38 PM

You don't believe they can, or don't believe they will?

See here:
http://www.district3...ead.php?t=11730

And here ( VC 8800 (a) ):
http://www.dmv.ca.go.../d03/vc8800.htm

Just wait you will see, you currently can not get a plate in Florida even if you buy used already plated, its all based on the vin which indicates what model the bike is and if its original intent was off road, no plate. This applies to imported out of state title transfers too. New off road bikes are sold with a yellow sticker on the steering head, which clarifies original intent "off road".Its coming guys your gonna have to buy that ktm, or apprilla thats street legal off the floor. I think the euros have been through this already, thus are ahead of the game. I can see it soon all these "once" plated xr650r's motarded but cant get a plate!

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2006 - 04:16 PM

I believe it has to do with the silly way the DMV computers work and their people don't. The law from '04 has been rescinded and as long as it doesn't have a "3" or "c" in the VIN you should be able to register the bike duel sport if it has been "converted". Checked by an autherized dealer or the CHP and then the DMV but, there is still all the confussion from the law that stopped all this and then waas taken back. If you get a plate and the during the time the law was still in the computer it could get kicked out and your plate taken away. The DMV or it's people don't care if anything makes sense.

• hill5150

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:09 PM

California registration and plates for an xr650r, (probably any non 2 stroke) is NOT impossible. Its NOT even diffucult. If you are intelligent enough to read this message, you have enough brains to get a BRP plated. Follow the simple rules (DMV will even help you) and its done. I have done so this year ('06), its not rocket science-not even brain surgery. The whole process is really very simple.

Why don't you detail us an essay step by step on how to do it if it is that easy....Thanks in advance...pal.

• Naru

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:21 PM

I just wrote a long-winded post about the law and how it isn't about greenies and emissions but about states exposing themselves to liability when allowing converted bikes onto the street that were not approved by a body versed in such matters (CARB in this case, for the emissions anyway), but it was eaten by the internet nomes that deliver my posts for me. So...

1. The law is not rescinded, and it's not really a law so much as a loophole that was closed as of 2004. More appropriately, it was a clarification from CARB about the grey area of converting offroad-only vehicles to on-road vehicles.
2. From what everyone says, it's still easy to get a plate, which never was the problem post-2004. The problem is that the DMV can legally take away your plate for post-2004 converted bikes whenever they sort themselves out, if ever, regardless if they approved it in the first place. By law, it's your mistake for not reading the application guidelines, and no matter what you tell yourself to sleep well at night, no amount of complaining or paper writing will get your plate back if they take it. Remember, the DMV is a beurocratic 'brick wall'; their employees are paid by the hour and specialize in telling you 'We can't do that'. If you complain, they drown you in paperwork and obscure misinterpreted vehicle codes. If you complain to supperiors, you get people who have been with the DMV for progressively longer periods and are that much more disgruntled, unfriendly and versed in the ways of 'No'.

If you live in Cali and have wanted to DS your dirtbike, heck, go for it; all you have to loose is a few hours of your time waiting in line at the DMV for the potential trade off of success. Just remember that if the DMV does come after your plate, it was a privilage given to you incorrectly, not a right they are taking away.

Speaking of which, I need to go and try with my '96 CR250. If guys on Harley's with straight-pipes get away with it, I feel fully entitled to flying around the city on a smoker with sportsman tires. :thumbsup:

• tntmo

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:45 PM

Maybe you should check out this thread?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=446819

• slepe67

Posted March 10, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Just wait you will see, you currently can not get a plate in Florida even if you buy used already plated, its all based on the vin which indicates what model the bike is and if its original intent was off road, no plate. This applies to imported out of state title transfers too. New off road bikes are sold with a yellow sticker on the steering head, which clarifies original intent "off road".Its coming guys your gonna have to buy that ktm, or apprilla thats street legal off the floor. I think the euros have been through this already, thus are ahead of the game. I can see it soon all these "once" plated xr650r's motarded but cant get a plate!

BRINING BACK AN OLDIE....

I bought my XR600R from a dude in north east FL in 2006. It was registered as a 49cc moped. VIN was the 600s. I had zero problems registering or insuring the bike in FL. Just my $0.02.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 10, 2008 - 10:39 PM

IN CALIFORNIA:

FACT: If you do the paperwork correctly, and get a 'friend' to sign off you
bike as 'on-highway EPA compliant' you can get a plate.

FACT: The plate you now have is ILLEGAL (forged paperwork) and CAN (but
not necessarily WILL) get revoked.
If it was not signed off by the CHP, or, you don't carry a copy, you
CAN get your bike impounded by a less-than-nice CHP officer. Many officers
know which bikes comply by memory, and know you have a 'special' deal.

FACT: Many DMV branches let the paperwork go through even without the '
"EPA on-highway compliance" approval. Some get red-flagged in Sacramento, some don't. Here on TT we have proof of 3 revokings for post 2004 bikes.

FACT: Getting the lighting inspection is no big deal, and you can get it for ANY motorcycle made. That is not the issue.

I have at least 10 friends with plates (post 2004) that have had them for less than a year, so we don't know what the outcome will be.
I have (2) friends with plates older than that, and one was revoked (2004 XR650R).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.