showa rear shock

8 replies to this topic
  • dhpoling

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:27 AM

I am preparing to change the oil in my Showa rear shock (crf250x). A few weeks ago, I successfuly changed the oil/seals in my forks, so am ready to tackle the rear shock. My question is, do I have to use compressed nitrogen to fill the bladder as per the manual/instruction video? can I use compressed air? why or why not? It am having a hard time finding someone with compressed nitrogen (I heard that some tire stores are now using nitrigen). I do not want to buy a regulator/bottle of my own, so I was wondering if compressed air would be fine? thanks

• 2ski4fun

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:41 AM

The sticky in the 450R forum has a DIY suspension revalve that covers the rear shock as well, including refilling the bladder.

• DeepSea

Posted December 14, 2006 - 11:14 AM

Do not use air. Not good. If you do a search in the suspension forum, this has been recently discussed. Or just click on this http://www.thumperta...hlight=nitrogen It'll tell you everything you need to know.

• ArkEnduroRider

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Do Not use compressed air, nitrogen is used because it is not affected by heat like air is. Nitrogen will give the shock a more consistent feel. Most motorcycle dealers or shops will have nitrogen. I know in my area finding one that knew how to use the equipment or had it in working order was the biggest problem. Look around, usually between $5 and $10 for the shock to be recharged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smoker

Posted December 15, 2006 - 09:29 AM

Small regional Air Plane repair shops have it also. They use it for tires.

• dhpoling

Posted December 15, 2006 - 12:05 PM

Thank for all the great thoughts!....great idea about regional airport. Also thought about local welding gas supply shop. Two of the three bike dealers that I use (seldomly) here in north Atlanta do NOT do forks or shock rebuilds. The one shop that does do forks wants $300 labor plus parts...2 week turnaround. Having (2) crf250x's and knowing this is part of rountine maintenance, that's why my son and I decided to do the forks ourselves, and are now preparing to do the rear shock. PS...honda parts at babbittsonline are cheaper than at servicehonda. Any other great website for honda brand parts?:thumbsup:

• ramz

Posted December 15, 2006 - 02:13 PM

Service Honda 12010-KSC-773 CYLINDER HEAD ASSY. $227.07
Babbitts on-line 12010-KSC-773 CYLINDER HEAD ASSY. $271.93

I have no financial interest in either company.

• flypigs

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:11 AM

If you're in greater Atlanta, you should be able to stop by either of the 2 big roadracing suspension guys there, and they should be able to fill it precisely while you wait (you can't fill it, and then measure it with a tire guage, by the time you check and remove the guage, you've lost a tiny burst of air which matters to such a tiny reservoir).

Thermosman.com or traxxion.com

Mike at Thermosman is a great suspension guy, but call first, he's on the road at races and test days frequently.

Pete

• smoker

Posted December 16, 2006 - 07:30 AM

by the time you check and remove the guage, you've lost a tiny burst of air which matters to such a tiny reservoir).

you loose about 7-10 psi when you check after filling it, so fill it too 152 psi, then check you'll be around the spec of 142 psi.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF250X 2015 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF250X 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

250 4t's vs 125 2t's by Maatt25

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  62 replies
Forums
Photo

Help needed...CRF250X 2004 wiring Aussie model by sandy450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • 6 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF250X 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250X 2013
  • * * * * -
  • 1 review
  • Last review by UncleKnobbly
  • On October 07, 2014
Forums
Photo

best looking trail bike. by pain99

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  260 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.