Thermostat on 650R

10 replies to this topic
  • Betopro

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Hi Guys,
:thumbsup:
I don't know why but I remove the thermostat from My XR650R, I Do a lot of single track in STV and also do long rides and I have not seen or feel any diference but if any of you know or can tell me if this will hurt or will it benefit my bike please Advise
Thanks!
Betopro:ride:

• Potts228

Posted December 14, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I know some people will say this is wrong but I took mine out, put on a 1.8 cap and removed the recovery tank. I have NEVER had an overheating problem since. I do ride single track and have been in situations where I have to ride very slow on tight single track trails in 100 degree weather. I have been on super long sand hill climbs where the bike is highly stressed with little air flow and also no problem.

• Betopro

Posted December 14, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Thanks this is the third time someone mentions the 1.8cap I will try this on my bike. :thumbsup:

• hill5150

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:10 PM

1,8 cap no thermo, no problem.

• loufish

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Why do guys pull off the overflow tank? It weighs next to nothing, and holds any overflowed coolant to be pull back into the coolant system as the bike cools off.
I'm not a big fan of the 1.8 cap, the stocker 1.1 is about 16 lbs if I remember correctly, while the 1.8 is about 26 lbs...That's a lot of extra load on the radiators & hoses...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted December 14, 2006 - 07:50 PM

it is a lot of extra pressure - I put that new cap on and in minutes my bike was leaking coolant all over the place. Had to re-tighten all the hoses and then I still took the cap off and put the stock cap back on, because I didn't really see what the gain was except for expensive engine ice all over the floor :-)

• dsharpe

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I run the 1.8 and no thermo. also have recently gotten the oversized fluidyne rads. No prblems yet. A 1.6 cap is also available

• weskc35k

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Mine is gone,made a flow through Y piece 1.something radiator cap no issues total loss of 100 grams.
Just warm it up well Betopro guy before you punish it.

• Potts228

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:35 PM

it is a lot of extra pressure - I put that new cap on and in minutes my bike was leaking coolant all over the place. Had to re-tighten all the hoses and then I still took the cap off and put the stock cap back on, because I didn't really see what the gain was except for expensive engine ice all over the floor :-)

I didn't have any leaks but bike used to overheat with the stock 1.1 cap under harsh conditions. The 1.8 stopped the overheating problem.

• Potts228

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Why do guys pull off the overflow tank? It weighs next to nothing, and holds any overflowed coolant to be pull back into the coolant system as the bike cools off.
I'm not a big fan of the 1.8 cap, the stocker 1.1 is about 16 lbs if I remember correctly, while the 1.8 is about 26 lbs...That's a lot of extra load on the radiators & hoses...

The desert removed my overflow tank for me, as well as the skid plate. Actually the skid plate got knocked off first and then the overflow tank got squashed. My CRF450 doesn't have one so why would the XR650 need one except to meet emissions laws? Like I said above, 1.8, no thermostat and my pig is happy.

• motopsycho650

Posted December 17, 2006 - 08:12 AM

I live in CO, where I do quite a bit of cold weather riding. I replaced the thermostat with the Napa #115 stat. It required a little modification to drill a hole, and grind off a few thousandths so it fit snugly in the housing.

I still run the stock cap. I've only had one boil-over ever, and that was before I uncorked it. Now, it has awesome power, and the coolant never exceeds rising more the 1-2 inches in the over-flow bottle.

The downside to running no thermostat is the risk of running the bike too cool. When it is too cool, the piston rings, and cylinder walls have not fully expanded from the heat, and they can wear a bit faster. Also, the oil may not reach premium viscosity, and that can add a bit of wear to all moving parts. Both should not be a big issue if you're riding is a warmer climate, and allow 5 minutes of ideling to warm your bike up.

The 1.8 Bar radiator cap will prevent collant from entering the over-flow bottle untill it reaches a much higher temp. This will definately help to prevent boiling. I also think that, in theory, this should help the bike warm up a bit faster. The higher pressure cap blocks off the coolant in the bottle, so only around 60% of the coolant is in circulation untill the bike fully warms up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.