New Exhaust options for the XR650R

10 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted December 14, 2006 - 07:39 AM

Anybody know of information available on "current performance" of the major exhaust options available for the XR650R? I have been sold on the Pro Circuit T-4, but if performance is similar to say a FMF Q2, and quality is same, why not consider the low volume option? Any thoughts on this heated debate?
Please let me know. Thanks...:thumbsup: :devil:

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2006 - 12:02 PM

I have tried quite a few. If not on my bikes then on others, stock is all bottom end and falls off fast compared to anything else. If you are keeping the stock header the bike then White Bros "E" pro meg is the way to go. Best compromise in getting more mid to high end power without losing to much low end would be the XR's Only header with (or whitebrothers header but, that is real hard to find) an R4 (white bothers) or T4 (Pro Circuit) muffler or Using the Pro Circuit is about the same with a powerbomb little better up top, (we still argue about that). I really like the bike with the Staintune full exhaust as well, very nice. White Bros header, White Bros "E" Series muffler, FMF Power core on a stock bike are all great. The Big Gun was a little flat on the bottom, we messed with the jetting but, it just wasn't that responsive but, great mid~top. Muffler fell off the bracket in a crash and spots of rust showed through the ceramic coating. The new setups are told to be better. How much power and where and how (the personality of the power) is the difference between these setups. How much power you see on the dyno has allot to due with the other mod's you add with the exhaust. Pumper carb., holes in the air filter cover, UNI air type filter, Jetting, spark....Once you got to the HRC kit (11:1 piston & cam), or just a bigger cam the Big Gun gave real good even power or once you go 680cc then the Full free flowing systems are the key. Moriwaki, Barnum's pro, Akrapovic exhaust, I have ridden stock bikes with the Moriwaki and Akrapovic exhaust but, there was a real lazy bottom end, the Akrapovic exhaust system wasn't as bad as the Moiwaki down low but, when we put the spark arrester in the Moriwaki it was better on a stock bike. Barnum's bike is 680cc and has his exhaust on it, it was a little more responsive off the bottom and dropped just a little on top compared to mine with the Moriwaki but, totaly different engines so hard to tell what would happen if the exhaust was switched. The Moriwaki is the lowest sound for the most exhaust flow but, it weighs a little more then the other mufflers. All weigh a lot less then stock. 3~3.5 pounds lighter in most cases.

• philipstjohn

Posted December 14, 2006 - 02:46 PM

My XR650R's motor is stock, has the stock header, uncorked, Uni, with stock tip drilled out on the stock exhaust. What is my best option with this set up?

• khelton

Posted December 14, 2006 - 04:15 PM

FMF Q did a grat job of waking up both my R and L..

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2006 - 04:47 PM

I think if you keep the stock header any muffler will work a little (more eye candy then that much more power) but, the 'E' series (pro meg best or 'S' bend) are the way to go. You get the most power with the back plate off and jet one up on the main jet and maybe the needle. Then go 8~12 disks and jet back down for the forest or to be 96db sound legal. XR's Only keeps a little more bottom end then say Pro Circuit power bomb or Staintune but, it's splitting hairs on our bike. Any of the headers are better if you are getting into the big whoops 4th+ over; even Big Gun they work but, quality on the two we have suck, both got rust spots through the ceramic coating and the weld broke on the muffler but, it was a good crash. Best made exhaust out there is the Moriwaki but, it isn't realy for a stock bike, it will work with the backfire screen in but, the Staintune, Pro Circuit (both of them are great), FMF Power core are all good if you don't have to be under 96db all the time. For that the 'E' Series white brothers with a XR's Only or one of the other headers is the best of both worlds. I liked the R4 or T4 muffler best with the XR's only or one of the Pro Circuit header to save the most weight. The Staintune is made better, you pay more, prettier and it weighs a little more so, it would be a close second. Throw the Q away!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted December 14, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I think if you keep the stock header any muffler will work a little (more eye candy then that much more power) but, the 'E' series (pro meg best or 'S' bend) are the way to go. You get the most power with the back plate off and jet one up on the main jet and maybe the needle. Then go 8~12 disks and jet back down for the forest or to be 96db sound legal. XR's Only keeps a little more bottom end then say Pro Circuit power bomb or Staintune but, it's splitting hairs on our bike. Any of the headers are better if you are getting into the big whoops 4th+ over; even Big Gun they work but, quality on the two we have suck, both got rust spots through the ceramic coating and the weld broke on the muffler but, it was a good crash. Best made exhaust out there is the Moriwaki but, it isn't realy for a stock bike, it will work with the backfire screen in but, the Staintune, Pro Circuit (both of them are great), FMF Power core are all good if you don't have to be under 96db all the time. For that the 'E' Series white brothers with a XR's Only or one of the other headers is the best of both worlds. I liked the R4 or T4 muffler best with the XR's only or one of the Pro Circuit header to save the most weight. The Staintune is made better, you pay more, prettier and it weighs a little more so, it would be a close second. Throw the Q away!

What do you mean by the "E" series- pro meg best or "S" bend? I see the E2 on the web site for the XRR, but not a pro meg best or S bend listed. Can you please explain?

• adam574

Posted December 14, 2006 - 07:24 PM

this is my little food for thought. if you have a stock motor and are looking for a mod and don't have a pumper carb then get one. you will see way better gains and maybe spend less money. exhaust does unleash some power but it mostly just moves it around to somewhere you may like it more

• pburke

Posted December 14, 2006 - 07:57 PM

What do you mean by the "E" series- pro meg best or "S" bend? I see the E2 on the web site for the XRR, but not a pro meg best or S bend listed. Can you please explain?

I think you need to go look for older products than listed on the official page.
I bookmarked this site and it has all the stuff he is talking about:

http://www.motojoe.c...tebro/pipes.htm

so E series Pro Meg can be below 96db? I may just sell my FMF if I can get some extra horses out of that and still be legal in the woods around here.

• blueridge

Posted December 14, 2006 - 07:59 PM

I also vote for "carb as first mod" on an XR-R. I needed better mileage and altitude adjustment. and am happy with an Edelbrock. On a Pig, aftermarket exhausts don't have nearly the improvement IME as they do on, say, a DRZ400. I think dyno results support that statement.

• BWB63

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:41 PM

I also vote for "carb as first mod" on an XR-R. I needed better mileage and altitude adjustment. and am happy with an Edelbrock. On a Pig, aftermarket exhausts don't have nearly the improvement IME as they do on, say, a DRZ400. I think dyno results support that statement.

Second modification is the Pumper carburetor, first is suspension!!!!!!:thumbsup: and it is true the pumper carb will give to all the other mods for the engine to breath, exhaust, holes in the side cove, air filter the edlbrock makes them all give a little more.

Lets say you put on a pumper and get 1hp gain, exhaust only 1hp gain, holes in the side cover and air filter only (and jetted for it) .5hp gain Now put them all together and jet for it and get a full 4hp+ gain at peak horse power and 5~6hp gain at 7200rpm over just uncorked. That is what happens when you put the package together right.

I ment the 'E' series Pro magaphone is better then the 'S' bend. Before the E2 there were two 'E' seies mufflers and the Pro Meg is the one that is the hot ticket. Having the disks to lower the sound and be forest aproved is cool, a little heave but, it works the best at have the most power wide open to legal (with about 8 disks) some run 12 (this is both with the back plate on) and some run 8~12 with the back plate off for a real rough sound, then just through the plate on when they need to lower the noise.

• weskc35k

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:49 PM

This guy is after muffler info not carb info anyway, all mods are better received through optimum scavenging and any way you look at it ya gotta do intake and exhaust build a package sorta thang.
Mate if ya listen to Bruce( BWB63) ya won't go wrong.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.