??Suspension Mods??

7 replies to this topic
  • arnie230

Posted December 13, 2006 - 11:10 PM

In the wide scheme of things is it worth getting suspension work done like a gold valve etc.. and weight appropriate springs??? I am 5'11 and 220. I have an '06 YZ450 and i am a Vet "C" rider. I race probably 10 times a year. The engine has plenty of power and I have a good handle on jetting. I am looking for bang for the buck basically.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:22 AM

In the wide scheme of things is it worth getting suspension work done like a gold valve etc.. and weight appropriate springs??? I am 5'11 and 220. I have an '06 YZ450 and i am a Vet "C" rider. I race probably 10 times a year. The engine has plenty of power and I have a good handle on jetting. I am looking for bang for the buck basically.

Yes it is well worth it. Your 06 is undersprung for your weight and needs .48/5.6kg springs. Also your speed will increase as your confidence will get stronger on jumps and landings as well as cornering....:thumbsup:
I never had much luck with RaceTech gold valves.....my suspension guru "LSD Racing" does my valving and it is spot on. I would see who in your area is either Factory Connection certified or other for best bang for the bucks

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:57 AM

LSD Racing

You entered that shop for the first time somewhat cautiously, I assume?

Everything Ga426owner says is true. It would be a little less true in the case of an '06 ridden by someone in the 165-180 pound range, because the '06 suspension is extremely good stock, and that's the weight it's built for. But the more you vary from that, the more it can be improved. Having the spring rate wrong, either way, for your weight will make more difference in the way the suspension works than anything will.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 14, 2006 - 11:54 AM

You entered that shop for the first time somewhat cautiously, I assume?

yea I get that a lot ..... darn flashbacks :devil:
...no seriously, after years of sending my suspension out to Cali land...I decided to let a local shop do my suspension....LSD Racing....owned and operated by Larry Dukes. This guy has a very seasoned approach to suspension work as he has been in business probably 20+ years or so. He has a great reputation here in Georgia and the SE, and helps a lot of amateur racers/ riders including some older VET's ...and retired pro riders. I have learned a lot from him. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • alien

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:39 PM

LSD racing is a Race Tech dealer and uses gold valves. Larry can do some good work.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 14, 2006 - 02:05 PM

LSD racing is a Race Tech dealer and uses gold valves. Larry can do some good work.

and a Factory Connection dealer to....His personal valving is what the secret is....not Racetechs or FCs.......and of course his great customer service/satisfaction

• arnie230

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:01 PM

My plan was to get the forks sprung for my weight and get them revalved. (Gold Valve). I planned on getting the shock just serviced and and an appropriate spring. The local suspension shop tells me that the valving in the stock shock is pretty good. Thanks for the advice!!

• LIL ROG

Posted December 14, 2006 - 10:45 PM

you would be surprised how much properly set up suspension can help. plus it can also give you a lot of added convidence when riding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.