xr600 jetting

2 replies to this topic
  • dotrp

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Sorry. I know there are tons of threads on jetting, but I couldn't find one that did the trick for me. I have an '87 xr600r with a Supertrapp exhaust and UNI air filter, and I just got a '96 xr600r with a White Brothers exhaust. I live out in the desert, at about 2500' and the temperature varies dramatically from summer (100's) to winter (50's). The '96 seems to be running lean with it's current jetting, which I assume was good for summer. Hesitates slightly off-idle and the plug looks a bit grayer than I would like. Previous owner said the main jet was a 165, but I haven't looked yet to be sure.

So, is it common for people to re-jet for summer/winter? Are there good references for jet sizes, needle settings, and screw positions for various altitudes and/or temperatures?

The recommendation I have received for the '96 is to
  • back out the idle screw 1/2 turn
  • raise the needle one notch
  • bigger main jet (167.5? 170?)
Does that sound about right? Is the idle screw on the '96 an air screw or a fuel screw? The above would suggest fuel. Any suggestions for the '87? Seems like it'll be a bit more complicated with the dual carbs.

Also looking for a manual for the '96. My understanding is that the xr600 was essentially unchanged from '88 to '98. I sometimes see manuals available for '88-'91 or '88-'92 ... that should work, right?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

-Doug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dotrp

Posted December 15, 2006 - 06:53 AM

Anybody?

• Owyhee

Posted December 15, 2006 - 07:38 AM

The recommendation I have received for the '96 is to

• back out the idle screw 1/2 turn
  • raise the needle one notch
  • bigger main jet (167.5? 170?)
Does that sound about right? Is the idle screw on the '96 an air screw or a fuel screw? The above would suggest fuel. Any suggestions for the '87? Seems like it'll be a bit more complicated with the dual carbs.

I'm curious about the same thing. I'm going to replace the jets on my '99 this month and ride the same altitude (3000-6000) as you and same temps (30-90) as you too.

Also looking for a manual for the '96. My understanding is that the xr600 was essentially unchanged from '88 to '98. I sometimes see manuals available for '88-'91 or '88-'92 ... that should work, right?

I think the bike was unchanged from 91-00. The pre-91s had no rear disc and 87-88 had some wierd header and a different head (at least it looks different).

"O"

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.