Nuetral switch??????

7 replies to this topic
  • rwcfrank

Posted December 31, 2001 - 01:22 PM

Can anyone tell me what the wires are for that are located under the countershaft sprocket???? What is the function??? Can I remove them and block the opening?????

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 31, 2001 - 01:55 PM

From what I understand, the neutral switch is wired to your rev limiter. It reduces the rev limit in neutral, because ALL of of us JUST SCREAM OUR BIKES IN NEUTRAL...UNTIL THEY SEIZE!!!

It is Yamaha's way to pretect ourselves...from ourselves :)

• Bill

Posted December 31, 2001 - 02:28 PM

I think it limits the revs while in neutral. This was done to pass some sound test for ISDE's or something.

Pro Circuit makes a trick little cover to use after you've removed the wires.

Bill

• DOC

Posted December 31, 2001 - 02:35 PM

that's probaly right. i was thinking if you miss a shift when racing, the bike will scream its damn head off, so i guess it limits the revs in neutral for this reason.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted December 31, 2001 - 05:07 PM

I removed mine and used the Ty Davis Neutral Switch Cover. There is really no need for this to be on the bike except that Yamaha does not want us to blow them up while in neutral and sitting on the stand. The entire wiring harness that is attached can be removed and the Zip Ty cover used in place of the stock one. Ty's cover is billet aluminum. I have used them since I had my 98 YZ400F without any problems.
http://www.ziptyracing.com

Ernie

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: yzernie ]

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted December 31, 2001 - 06:52 PM

I don't know if this is true or not..... but I've heard that the switch retards the ignition timing in neutral to make starting easier and improve idle stability.

Hey, Yamaha put a damn grey wire on the CDI box and didn't tell anybody. Could be true.

• DOC

Posted December 31, 2001 - 09:52 PM

Originally posted by yzernie:
I removed mine and used the Ty Davis Neutral Switch Cover. There is really no need for this to be on the bike except that Yamaha does not want us to blow them up while in neutral and sitting on the stand. The entire wiring harness that is attached can be removed and the Zip Ty cover used in place of the stock one. Ty's cover is billet aluminum. I have used them since I had my 98 YZ400F without any problems.
http://www.ziptyracing.com

Ernie

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: yzernie ]

im not sure why you would want to remove the safety item? like i said, if you miss a shift while racing, the engine will bounce off the rev limiter. Sounds like a good idea to me.

• yzernie

Posted January 01, 2002 - 09:07 AM

Doc,

Even with the neutral switch removed the rev limiter still works while riding. If a shift is missed then the rev limiter will still engage and eliminate the possibility to over-rev.

The neutral switch position sensor is only for when the bike is in neutral. It is to eliminate the possibility of over-rev while the bike is in neutral, such as on the stand. The ignition rev limiter still comes into play even with the neutral switch position sensor removed.

I have never had a problem starting the bike or with my idle speed.

Ernie

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.