XR600 Rear Suspension

8 replies to this topic
  • camoman

Posted December 13, 2006 - 10:14 AM

I ordered the owners manual but it is not in yet, and yes I'm like all you other guys impatient.
I want to stiffen up the rear suspension.. I know there is a dial on the side of my 87 xr600r for suspension adjustment, and there is a numbered dial at he bottom of the shock where it meets the swing arm, and then ther are the two locking nuts at the base of the spring on the shock (preload) spring.
What shold i adjust to stiffen up the rear suspension,,,

thanks

:thumbsup:

• cbaranski

Posted December 13, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Well the top dial is for compresion, and the bottom dial is for the rebound. You could try to stiffen it up a little with the preload spanner nuts, then play with the comp and rebound dials to get it where you want it.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I ordered the owners manual but it is not in yet, and yes I'm like all you other guys impatient.
I want to stiffen up the rear suspension.. I know there is a dial on the side of my 87 xr600r for suspension adjustment, and there is a numbered dial at he bottom of the shock where it meets the swing arm, and then ther are the two locking nuts at the base of the spring on the shock (preload) spring.
What shold i adjust to stiffen up the rear suspension,,,

thanks

:thumbsup:

what do you mean too soft? You mean off jumps or just regular riding. Set the sag at the stock ammount and set the compression knob at two clicks stiffer or clockwise then you should be OK unless you weigh about 200lbs or more. Then you need a stiffer spring.

• HighRevz

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:26 AM

preload & compression.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bt08231

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

now can these springs ever wear out? because i also have an 87 and the rear spring is extremely soft. I have not set the sag yet but even under the bikes own weight the seat hieght looks way too low and it drops considerably. I see many pictures of xrs with what looks like high seat hieghts even with the rider on it but i feel like its almost bottoms when i get on it. I wiegh about 175-180. Also the rebound is very slow to come back up once wieght is removed from the bike. Think i need a new spring or just figured out the clickers and preload? I adjust the preload up a bit, didnt really change anything, i didnt know how high up those nuts could go and didnt want to go up too high

• cleonard

Posted October 18, 2007 - 09:45 AM

XR600's are soft compared to MX bikes. If you ride aggressively you need a stiffer spring even at your weight.

• kheff46

Posted October 20, 2007 - 05:32 AM

bike sag and rider sag are different. springs wear out like any other metal product. it's life span is fairly long however. so if it's got a ton of miles it may be worn out. not sure what fatigue/cycle life bike springs have compared to auto's.

i would tighten the spring first if it's just plain too soft in all areas. if it's just on jumps, bumps, i would try you compression first. get on the bike with normal gear and have someone measure the sag(rear) to see if you're in the ball park. if way off, then adjust your spring(with compression adj. all the way soft/out) so you are at recommended rider sag. then your compression should be upped until you're perfect. your rebound will be noticeable more on stutter bumps or consecutive bumps. if it ends up packing/slamming into the next bump you're too slow on the rebound speed. if it bounces you over the bars, you're at the other end completely and should slow it way down!

hope it helps!

--keith

• creeky

Posted October 20, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Start out by setting the rider sag at 100mm (about 4"), this will be with all your riding gear on. Then play with the compression & rebound until you get the right combination. The rear sag will affect the front suspension and vice versa. More or less rear sag will require the fork tubes to be raised or lowered in the clamps to maintain a proper front to rear balance.

• kheff46

Posted October 20, 2007 - 10:51 AM

to test the front to rear softness have someone hold you up slightly from the h/bar. then proceed to stand up and push the bike down with hands and feet trying to put equal pressure front to rear. if either side(front or rear) goes down faster you'll want that side tighter on compression. that way you don't get the inchworm/hobbyhorse feeling thats common on ill prepped bikes.

--keith

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.