Shop Stand

32 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Can anyone tell me how high a stand needs to go up for an XR650R? Sears has a Craftsman Motorcycle stand on sale which has a maximum height of
16.5", and rated for 1500 lbs. Will this work, and or does anyone have, or has anyone used this stand before? Please let me know if you can. Thanks...:thumbsup:

• MortimerSickle

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:25 PM

My Harbor Freight stand is rated at 16" lift, and is plenty high enough for my XR600.

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:13 PM

It's high enough to lift the 650R, 16.5" lifts the wheels about 2.5" off the floor. Make sure you set the safety that locks the stand, the jack leaks and setting the flip over safety will not let your bike fall. The weight limit might be a little low for a 650.

• frankstr

Posted December 12, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Just checked mine..it's adjustable..It's at 16" ..My BRP sits just right
for me.....12" in the down postion....

:thumbsup: :devil:

• loufish

Posted December 13, 2006 - 05:23 AM

The weight limit might be a little low for a 650.

The lift is rated for 1500 lbs, too low for a 650R?

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:14 AM

Just kidding around.

• tunaeater

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:22 AM

How much is it ?

• AlbinoPig

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Sears had two different ones when I got mine. I was cheap and bought the STEEL one. Shoulda' got aluminum. That steel one weighs about twice as much as I want to move around.

• creeky

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:23 AM

I'v made two stands from scrap 5/8" plywood, 1st one is 11 years old, holding up good, cost approx. $5 and 1 hour each to construct. 16" high is just fine for the 650R.

• MortimerSickle

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:42 AM

For anyone wanting just a stand (not a lift,) a Rubbermaid step stool is just the right height, strong enough, and weighs nothing. They go for about 10 bucks, and serve just as well as those 80-90 dollar aluminum jobs.

I have some rubber matting bolted to the top of mine for extra grip.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:50 AM

I am still toying around with the idea of using something like these:
http://www.harborfre...ubCategoryName=
http://www.harborfre...ubCategoryName=

Add some adapter plate to secure the bike, either welded on, or bolted on (so the jack could still be used for trannys, etc.).

First one goes up to 20"+, second is 30"+, so they'd be a comfortable work height, plus are on wheels for mobility.

The first one is a worm gear, so a safety may not be needed, but the second one being hydraulic would need some positive-locking, engageable safety once loaded/raised.

Or, I could just buck up and do this:
http://www.motosport...3956&nav=&sMMY=

• kelleyseiler

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:00 PM

I bought one for servicing and parking my bike in my garage. Works Great!

• chpxr

Posted December 13, 2006 - 06:02 PM

hey phuzz
the first one you showed you won't like it i have a few at my shop and your bike will roll all over the place while your trying to work on it and i don't see it being very stable for are bikes
just my 2 cents

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:00 PM

hey phuzz
the first one you showed you won't like it i have a few at my shop and your bike will roll all over the place while your trying to work on it and i don't see it being very stable for are bikes
just my 2 cents

They are so inexpensive at Harbor Freight, so I got to thinking, hmmmm...

But thanks for the input...no replacement for real-world experience like yours.

Now I know its not the right tool for the job. :thumbsup:

• MortimerSickle

Posted December 15, 2006 - 04:50 PM

They are so inexpensive at Harbor Freight, so I got to thinking, hmmmm...

But thanks for the input...no replacement for real-world experience like yours.

Now I know its not the right tool for the job. :thumbsup:

Harbor Freight also has these: (I have the first one and it works well.)

http://www.harborfre...Itemnumber=2792

http://www.harborfre...temnumber=91764

http://www.harborfre...temnumber=94121

• MindBlower

Posted December 15, 2006 - 05:54 PM

(B = BIG)
(R = RED)
(P = PIG)

:thumbsup:

• zx7rye

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:04 AM

My $.02...One of my criteria was to get a stand that at least got the wheels completely off the ground for suspension sag measurements (16-17 inches should do the trick. I went with the standard rigid aluminum stand (can't think of the name but it's popular) and just muscle the bike on it...not bad. I was fearful of the little foot operated jobs failing with 300 lbs of motorcycle on it. I was also not too impressed with the size of the platform. I found the Sears/Harbor Freight jacks don't allow you to work around the bike as easily as you've got to step over them. Not as friendly in tighter garages.

• Badkaw2

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:21 AM

Hey MortimerSickle,
That Rubbermaid step stool is a great idea. It is nice and lite so it would be easy to throw it in the hauler and use at the trailhead. Inexpensive too! Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup:

• philipstjohn

Posted December 16, 2006 - 06:29 AM

For anyone wanting just a stand (not a lift,) a Rubbermaid step stool is just the right height, strong enough, and weighs nothing. They go for about 10 bucks, and serve just as well as those 80-90 dollar aluminum jobs.

I have some rubber matting bolted to the top of mine for extra grip.

Posted Image

I have been looking for this rubbermaid stand. Do you remember where you got it?:thumbsup:

• squatpuke

Posted December 16, 2006 - 08:32 AM

My $.02...One of my criteria was to get a stand that at least got the wheels completely off the ground for suspension sag measurements (16-17 inches should do the trick. I went with the standard rigid aluminum stand (can't think of the name but it's popular) and just muscle the bike on it...not bad. I was fearful of the little foot operated jobs failing with 300 lbs of motorcycle on it. I was also not too impressed with the size of the platform. I found the Sears/Harbor Freight jacks don't allow you to work around the bike as easily as you've got to step over them. Not as friendly in tighter garages.

Agree...I got a basic aluminum stand also.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.