oil question, 2 quarts not enough?

47 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted December 26, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I know thats what the manual says, but the manual also says it holds 2 quarts of oil and you didn't belive that!!! I am just jokeing.

• hill5150

Posted December 26, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I know thats what the manual says, but the manual also says it holds 2 quarts of oil and you didn't belive that!!! I am just jokeing.

The pig holds just under 2 quarts w/ filter change, why you would change oil w/ out a filter change is beyond me, anyhow, you empty oil, bike warm of course w/ the man funnel, if you dont have one get it now, you empty the filter, change it, bolt everything back up, add one quart, ONE quart, start briefly low to no throttle let idle for 10 seconds, stop add additional quart just under, start, and ride.You can not get a reading on the bike cold, it has to be warm, get the oil sight tube, yesterday.Merry New Year, ride on..........

• tommyj92028

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:26 PM

OUCH!!! That hurt my head. I wish I could get those 10 minutes back that I just wasted reading that. NEW RULE: Only help those who want to be helped. Tommy:crazy:

• joev

Posted May 16, 2008 - 02:25 PM

96datsun28z... Hey gang. I changed my oil last night. It was at the low end of stick. Rode the bike 60 miles it read 1/2 full. I think the bike needs a more oil also... I am buying another quart to add a little at a time little by little by little AFTER I WARM IT UP... I WILL ride it 5 miles, then check again ... joev

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted May 16, 2008 - 02:29 PM

JOEV this is a 2 year old thread most them guys are gone ive never seen datsun on here.

• Purcell69

Posted May 16, 2008 - 02:34 PM

Keep in mind, it is not a car, so reading the dipstick is a little different. As long as the oil is between the high and low marks, all is well. There are some slight differences in the capacities of the motorcycle frames that store the oil for the dry-sump system. A car on the ohterhand has a wet sump system where oil is stored in the oil pan and the dipstick indicates a more specific volume required to keep the engine healthy.

With a car, it is possible to have the pan "run dry" as the oil pump has pumped the oil into the top end of the motor and there is nothing more to draw, when the level is too low. With a dry sump system, oil is stored in the frame and is fed to the oil pump. Check your oil after you have ridden for a while or just before you park the bike. As long as the oil level is between the high and low marks, you do not need to add oil.

• DGXR

Posted May 16, 2008 - 02:42 PM

Some said it's not enough to let the engine idle for 3-5 minutes, you need to actually ride it around to get a correct oil level reading. Try that and see what the dipstick has to say. Bike perfectly vertical and level, dipstick not screwed in when checking (just bottomed out on the filler neck), checked *immediately* after shutoff. 2 liters ("or 2.2 quarts") should be enough for any big-bore thumper to run just fine without worrying.

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 16, 2008 - 04:26 PM

Some said it's not enough to let the engine idle for 3-5 minutes, you need to actually ride it around to get a correct oil level reading.

That's absolutely right. Five minutes is not long enough; the head frame needs to get warm before it's been run long enough.

However, this thread has been beaten to death just like the "650L oil capacity" poll that was active just a few weeks ago. Now that I think about it, both threads are equally convoluted.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.