oil question, 2 quarts not enough?

47 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted December 22, 2006 - 12:03 PM

Assuming they are useing the correct procedure to check the oil, there is obviouly another factor. Maybe someone rigged a oil cooler on the bike making it take more oil. Any thoughts? Does anyone know what a 86 xl600 holds? I can't belive they lowered the oil capacity be nearly 1/3 from the 600 to 650.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 22, 2006 - 04:38 PM

No, there is not an oil cooler on the bike, the engine is completely stock except for the re-jetting of the carburator.

• babbs

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Maybe they added an aftermarket powerband, the heavy duty ones absorb a lot more oil than the stock ones.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 23, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Again, I repeate myself, the engine is stock except for the carburator! I know my own bike...

• wolfmangk

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:10 PM

There's only one way to sort this out. Fill your crankcase until it registers healthy on the dispstick, then drain what was in, into a clean container, and see just how much came out.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:19 PM

[QUOTEThere's only one way to sort this out. Fill your crankcase until it registers healthy on the dispstick, then drain what was in, into a clean container, and see just how much came out.][/QUOTE]

Yup, I was thinking the samething and may end up doing that when we do the next oil change.

• wolfmangk

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:49 PM

After the engine has starved for good oil because it's underfilled? After you've blown seals because it is overfilled? I would see right now, personally. If you have 5 quarts left over, then there's a problem. Why wait until you ride it?

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 23, 2006 - 08:57 PM

If you have 5 quarts left over, then there's a problem. Why wait until you ride it?

I can do that, but my dad just thinks that it takes the 2.6 quarts (which it has in it now) as he remembers his Xl600 taking which has the same motor so we just figure that it would be the same for my bike and doesn't think it's worth it to do the oil change again.

• Timmerz

Posted December 24, 2006 - 12:07 AM

The first obvios question I have after reading the posts in this thread is: Is the dipstick supposed to be screwed all the way in to check the oil, or just stuck in without screwing down? I was told by a buddy that it just had to be stuck in the hole as far as it would go without screwing it in to check the oil after running the motor for 3 to 5 minutes...

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 24, 2006 - 10:12 AM

In the manual it states to just stick it in and screwing it in is not needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldKTMer

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Have you thought to pull the crankcase oil check bolt to check the crankcase oil level after running it as the manual says? One half of the oil pump lubes the engine through the oil filter, the other half lubes the trans and returns oil to the frame tank drawing through the oil screen inside the right case cover. Perhaps the screen is plugged or not installed correctly. From what I can see in the diagram in the factory manual, this could cause the frame tank not to fill correctly and could also starve the trans for oil. It is easy to check and will show if your crankcase is overfilling indicating a problem.
Happy Trails

• oldmanx

Posted December 25, 2006 - 03:45 PM

Are you sure that the bike has the correct dipstick in it?

• BWP Jockey

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I can't believe this thread has created this many responses.

• philipstjohn

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:20 PM

I can't believe this thread has created this many responses.

I could not have said it better myself! :thumbsup: :devil: :smirk:

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 25, 2006 - 10:51 PM

[QUOTE][Are you sure that the bike has the correct dipstick in it?/QUOTE]]

Yes.

• Maroast

Posted December 25, 2006 - 11:34 PM

Just to stick my nose in here.......

I've found on my XRR that if I check the oil level on ***EVEN THE SLIGHTEST INCLINE*** the reading is incorrect!!!! I cant stress this enough!!

I remember one time when i changed the oil in my driveway (there is pretty much no incline at all...but a VERY slight one) I checked my oil level after adding 2Quarts (w/ a filter change) and was like "HOLY SHIT! Looka like I got to add another quart"....then reason set in and I moved the bike to the street.......the oil level wad dead on. Good thing I didnt jump the gun.

just something to think about.

oh, and check your powerband to make sure an aftermarket one wasn't installed...they require more oil :thumbsup:

• babbs

Posted December 26, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Considering the guy isn't taking any advice he has recieved so far, I too am suprised people continue to chime in.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 26, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I do probably sound kind of like a nut to guys, but no, it was not on an incline, when we did the oil change and checked it was in our garage which is level.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted December 26, 2006 - 12:13 PM

just stick it in and screwing it in is not needed.

OK if you say so.
:thumbsup: :devil: :smirk:

You got one weird 99 xr650l boy. I am so confused I am not going to look at this thread anymore.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 26, 2006 - 02:44 PM

[QUOTE][OK if you say so.
/QUOTE]

That is what the manual says, if you don't believe me, go research it!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.