AIS kit for 2007 WR is not the same as 2006 WR

12 replies to this topic
  • joshbeene

Posted December 12, 2006 - 09:50 AM

I bought the 2006 kit from my local dealer because I thought it would be the same. Everything in the kit works/fits except for the metal cap and heat shielding gasket that is supose to plug the metal tube coming out of the head. I called GYT-R (Yamaha's aftermarket company) and talked to the tech who was working on the kit for the 07 model that will be out in a few weeks. I called him because I could not get the gasket and cap to fit over the tube. That is when he informed me that it is different. I was able to cut off the flange at the end of the tube, not the side that attaches to the head, and then the cap and gasket fit loosely. I use some high temp silicone and filled the cap up and let it dry on the tube over night. I lightly scuffed the outside of the tube and cleaned it good before I siliconed it on. I have riden twice with it like that and it works great.

The 2007 Kit will be out in a couple of weeks. The part number will be just like the 06 except it will end in 01 instead of 00.

I have pictures, but I can't load them onto this website right now. If you want them, I can e-mail them to you.

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 12, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I simply cut a piece of 5/8 inch thick rubber hose from Napa Auto Parts and clamped it on the tube, then plugged it with a bolt and clamp. I intent to remove the tube completely and make a stainless plate to replace it with. Otherwise, the kit is exactly the same. You could probably piece it together for half the price.

• BLACK_BONES

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:18 PM

I simply cut a piece of 5/8 inch thick rubber hose from Napa Auto Parts and clamped it on the tube, then plugged it with a bolt and clamp. I intent to remove the tube completely and make a stainless plate to replace it with. Otherwise, the kit is exactly the same. You could probably piece it together for half the price.

Great point, but alot of people will spend that extra bucks so it is convient and time saving.

As my granda used to say....

"Time is money, so why the hell waste your time?"

• Dual Fives

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:58 PM

I was at my Yamaha Dealer today and they swore the kit was they told me the kit I bought would fit my bike. From your post, they were WRONG! The part #is: GYT-5TJ93-69. Clearly, the Kit is Date 12/01/2005. WR450 AIS Removal Kit. I haven't opened it yet, and am glad I read your post, thanks!

In this kit, it has the 48 Pilot Jet? and the adjustable Needle with the metal cap, a rubber plug, hose clamp, YZ Throttle Stop, and a Metallic Gasket of some sort. Plus a zip tie, and the important GYTR Sticker.

Why do I get mad when I know more than the dealer from the info on this list?

--
Regards Dual Fives...
2007 WR450F
2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 Blue
2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 White
2006 Honda TRX250EX Red

• msgbean

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:57 PM

Everything in the kit will work except the metal gasket and cap. However a metal plate is easy to fabricate in their place and held down with the existing screws and metal gasket.

Posted Image

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Everything in the kit will work except the metal gasket and cap. However a metal plate is easy to fabricate in their place and held down with the existing screws and metal gasket.

Posted Image

Although I used the rubber hose, I intend to do something just like yours msgbean. I wanted to do that to begin with, but as an aircraft mechanic, I can't bring myself to use used gaskets. My Yamaha dealer couldn't find the PN to replace mine with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted December 13, 2006 - 07:36 PM

Why do I get mad when I know more than the dealer from the info on this list?

get used to it. if you stay tuned to TT, you'll be way ahead of your dealer. it's fun to have them tell you something doesn't exsist until you hand them the part number.

• fLUNX

Posted February 14, 2007 - 01:02 AM

...something doesn't exsist until you hand them the part number.

that´s so true!!!
not only in Yammy dealers...
I have the same "problem" with VW car dealers too.

fLAVIO

• Murray Dorward

Posted February 14, 2007 - 03:14 AM

You can also try cutting the AIS piping +-20mm after the first bend then use the end cap etc from the '06 AIS kit. Works 100%

Posted Image

cheers

Muz
:censored: :lol: :ride:

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 14, 2007 - 04:58 AM

Posted Image

Yamaha actually has block off plates available for other bikes the fit the 07 WR almost perfectly. All that is required is about 2 minutes with an appropriately sized drill bit to lengthen the holes about 1mm each.

There are 2 different block off plate designs...one is a non-metalic resin design and the other is slightly thicker aluminum. I used the aluminum plate and the original metalic gasket from the AIS flange. The install is super simple and, as already stated, takes only a couple of minutes with a drill to alter the bolt holes very slightly.

I got 2 aluminum plates from the Yamaha dealer plus I have a resin plate coming to me from another TT member. If someone wants either plate, please send me a SASE envelope (PM me for my address) and I'll send one to you.

Seriously...it's stupid simple to do. Even I did it!:censored:

-Jay

• SXP

Posted February 14, 2007 - 06:38 AM

Yamaha actually has block off plates available for other bikes the fit the 07 WR almost perfectly. All that is required is about 2 minutes with an appropriately sized drill bit to lengthen the holes about 1mm each.

There are 2 different block off plate designs...one is a non-metalic resin design and the other is slightly thicker aluminum. I used the aluminum plate and the original metalic gasket from the AIS flange. The install is super simple and, as already stated, takes only a couple of minutes with a drill to alter the bolt holes very slightly.

I got 2 aluminum plates from the Yamaha dealer plus I have a resin plate coming to me from another TT member. If someone wants either plate, please send me a SASE envelope (PM me for my address) and I'll send one to you.

Seriously...it's stupid simple to do. Even I did it!:censored:

-Jay

Could you post the PN for the plates? Thanks.

• Paradiddle

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:36 AM

A word of caution to the California owners-

People at popular riding areas (Carnergie, Prairie City) are being warned of being CITED for modifying a pollution control device, ie., your Air Injection System. This has mostly occured with CRF450x owners, as the AIS on the x is readily visible, and an easy target. The other brand bikes will be the next target, as Rangers become better equipped / informed.

I can only see this problem getting worse, with the tighter control of our riding areas.

If you do decide to remove your AIS, save the parts!!! You can put the parts back on with the plumbing internally blocked off (there are several posts dealing with this issue- search).

Or you can run it as intended, the performance gain for disabling it is really negligable IMHO (the AIS injects fresh air into the exhaust port, to facilitate the burning of unburnt, or partially burnt Hydrocarbons- the heat is there, the fuel is there, but the O2 is used in the combustion chamber).

I personally think that Yamaha is debating the recall of the kits (at least the AIS portion, maybe not the jetting) due to pressure from CARB and other groups. Would Yamaha be in the wrong for selling parts that would effectively change the Green Sticker designation for it product???

Lynn

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:23 AM

Could you post the PN for the plates? Thanks.

I wish I knew what the PN is for the plates.

I'll make a call to my local Yamaha dealership and see if I can get a PN.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.