Help- front fork oil!

7 replies to this topic
  • zar

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:42 PM

Does any one knows the recomended SAE size fork oil for the WR 450F 05'?

• Big Tim

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:17 PM

Not off the top of my head. But, if you go to the WR performance index (sticky topic) I think I saw "free WR manuals on PDF"

That should help you out.

Good luck

• pjriss

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:01 AM

SAE numbers don't mean shit when it comes to suspension oil. Read this: http://www.peterverd...om/lowspeed.htm

• Wasabi

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:09 AM

Does any one knows the recomended SAE size fork oil for the WR 450F 05'?

You will be wanting 5w oil mate. :thumbsup:
Use suspension specific oil for best results, there are heaps available.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I'm using Mobil1 synthetic ATF.

• saqu

Posted December 12, 2006 - 12:39 PM

By manual it's "01 fork oil", it corresponds to somewhere between 2.5W and 5W by MOTUL. If you can get Öhlins no. 5 oil, it's about it. Check the link
http://www.motul.com..._blendchart.pdf

Sorry here is the better one
http://www.motul.com..._blendchart.pdf

• SXP

Posted December 12, 2006 - 01:00 PM

I'm using Mobil1 synthetic ATF.

Second that. The suspension action is just so......slick...is the best I can describe it as. This is especially noticeable in back-to-back comparisions between two similarly valved/adjusted bike where one has Mobil 1 ATF in it and the other (as in my test) Kayaba 01 oil. The best part is the Mobil 1 seems to maintain this slick/plush feel even after many, many hours of use. If you do switch from a suspension specific oil to the Mobil 1, you may have to adjust your clickers by one turn from your original settings.

I like it so much in the front, and as I work on my own suspension, I'm thinking of trying it out in the rear shock. I know people are going to say "too thick", but that's what I heard about using it in the front too, so we'll wait and see.

• pjriss

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Second that. The suspension action is just so......slick...is the best I can describe it as. This is especially noticeable in back-to-back comparisions between two similarly valved/adjusted bike where one has Mobil 1 ATF in it and the other (as in my test) Kayaba 01 oil. The best part is the Mobil 1 seems to maintain this slick/plush feel even after many, many hours of use. If you do switch from a suspension specific oil to the Mobil 1, you may have to adjust your clickers by one turn from your original settings.

I like it so much in the front, and as I work on my own suspension, I'm thinking of trying it out in the rear shock. I know people are going to say "too thick", but that's what I heard about using it in the front too, so we'll wait and see.

Interesting and it makes sense. I would expect synthetic ATF to outlast pretty much any suspension fluid. I've always had good luck with PJ1 Cartridge Pro 3.5 but maybe next time I'll give the ATF a try.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.