Pistons?

4 replies to this topic
  • XR250_RIDER_14

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:42 PM

What are the most reliable pistons out there where you can get a little more performance w/o spending the money on OEM.

I am right now debating whether to buy a pro circuit Athena piston from TT, or the wiseco that comes in the kit from motosport outlet.

Whats the difference between 2095 silicium which is said to be used in formula one pistons and the forged aluminum wiseco pistons?

Which way am I better of going? I really want to try the Athena but I don't know what to expect. Which would be more realiable?

Anyone have experience?

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:32 PM

It sounds like you may have made an incorrect assumption as to the cost of the OEM piston. It's right about half as expensive as a Wiseco, and IMO, there is no reliability issue with the stock piston. Going to a forged piston is not warranted except in the case of a pure race bike, and unless you just have to have the extra 1 hp (maybe), it's an expensive way to get it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:48 AM

OEM is fine for rebuild and less money. Wiseco and Vertex make and sell OEM spec'd piston kits.
Athena, RPM, Luke Racing, Langcourt all use Wiseco and or Vortex pistons. Use thiese companies if you desire to build a big bore...Athena has a sweet kit - as do the others
I keep saying this to you :devil: - please find yourself a reputable motorcycle tuner to steer you in the right direction according to your budget, and that has the ability to determine what needs to be replaced. without unnecessary expense, and can match all the components you need and assemble for you or with your participation. Otherwise this exercise can be potentially disasterous :thumbsup:

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted December 13, 2006 - 01:43 PM

I told you I'm not doing the work. He gave me a list of parts that needed to be replaced. He showed me everything that was worn or had wear that would or could lead to another dissassembly.

The valves were cupped and the crank/rod bearing siezed.

So I need;
All new valves
valve springs
crank assembly
piston
crank bearings
gaskets
oil pump
cam chain
cylinder (scratched)

Is there anything else that I should maybe replace?

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:00 PM

And also 15 tooth front sprocket and a 48 for the rear, along witha new clutch cable and oil filter

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.