06 complaint!!!!

22 replies to this topic
  • StPeters21

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:07 PM

I've had my '06 for almost a year now and I still don't feel comfortable on it. I have done all kinds of mods to it and it is just way too rigid...Is their any way to make it feel more plush like my '05 steel frame? I am a big guy, 6'3" and 225lbs. I attempt to race motocross and love it! I feel really fast on this bike and it turns awesome. The landings on jumps just hurt though....give some advice

• Blank Stare

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:12 PM

send the suspension out and have it setup. have you messed with the suspension at all?

• StPeters21

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I had pro-action set it up (springs and re-valve)...it is much better than stock...

• Blank Stare

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:23 PM

call them and tell them what is happening. that bike should be riding sweet

• Reyndogg

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Mine did that stock, like the forks blew right through the stroke on big landings. I had Pro-Action revalve mine w/new springs as well, and it's as close to perfect as I could hope for. Seems like they either put the wrong springs in your bike or didn't set up the valving correctly.

Definitely call your tuner and get them to help you with it!

Good luck,

• StPeters21

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:43 PM

cool...thanks I'll do that.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:02 AM

cool...thanks I'll do that.

you have vested interest in letting ProAction fix this for you.....I assume you have worked through all of the compression settings and it still feels too stiff? your spring rates should be at least .48 / 5.6kg or .49 / 5.7kg

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:35 AM

The new fork is also very sensitive to the oil level in the outer chambers. Try removing just 5 or 10cc from each side and try that.

• MacJammer

Posted December 12, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like I might be out of my league with you guys but I will add my two cents anyhow. I have had my '06 for about 3 months now and I have to bleed the air out of my forks before every ride. I always get a little bit out. Like I said just my two cents. I really like how mine handles. 6'2" 220lbs.

• chinweed

Posted December 12, 2006 - 04:55 PM

That is normal you should get a little air to come out when you undo the screw. Air builds up from you halling your bike and then from being used. You should let the air out often this will help you forks operate properly and also help from blowing the seals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StPeters21

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I don't think that it is too stiff...The suspension feels great until I hit big jumps...Then the landings are painful. I thought that it might be from the alum frame. I have adjusted through all the setings on the forks and shocks. I plan on calling Pro-Action this week.

• Ranger18

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Does it feel like your bottoming out or does it feel like your suspension is locked in place (to stiff)?

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I don't think that it is too stiff...The suspension feels great until I hit big jumps...Then the landings are painful. I thought that it might be from the alum frame. I have adjusted through all the setings on the forks and shocks. I plan on calling Pro-Action this week.

It sounds like a valving issue still. The fork is speed sensitive, as opposed to position sensitive, and it sounds like since the small stuff is good, and only the big landings are harsh, that the damping force either ramps up too rapidly, or goes to too high a peak pressure. I'd go back to your suspension guy. Most of the good ones will work with you until you're happy with the job (within reason). See what he says.

• StPeters21

Posted December 18, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I spoke with him and he told me to send it back right away. I am going to try some of his suggestions first then send it back later...After checking and inspecting...I had to adjust my race sag...alot now I'm going back to my original settings and starting over...Then I will send it back to him.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like they removed or modified the mid valve. That can cause it to blow thru too fast. I'm 6' 1" 200lbs and love the stock suspension. Once I spent the time to dial it in it works like magic. Even with the clickers 16 out on the forks it doesn't hurt ever when landing hard. Sounds like the shop dicked something up IMHO.

• NM_KDX200

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:39 PM

You torqued the triple clamps correctly, I assume?

• TMAC25

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Whats up guys, I have only ridden my 06 3-4 times, felt great in the woods, but on the track it is super stiff compared to my 03 and seeing as I ride mostly track it is a concern. I am 6’9” 220 though, so im sure it just needs new springs and a re valve, but to me it seems like the new frame is super rigid. My 03 on stock springs felt fine to me. Just my two cents.

• StPeters21

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:17 PM

Thats the onle thing that I didn't re-check...I'll do that...thanks

Posted December 19, 2006 - 08:40 PM

In case that does not work a have a real nice steel frame 450 with sweet suspension - TRADE?. I rode my buddies 06 stock and it was great, but I weigh 170.

• StPeters21

Posted December 19, 2006 - 09:05 PM

i still have my 04 thats all pimped out with suspension and several mods

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.