WR426 gearing in dunes?

2 replies to this topic
  • baja4lif3

Posted December 11, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I just got my 2001 WR426 right before thanksgiving and went down to the dunes for thanksgiving. It ran great all day and night, but im having trouble getting into 4th gear going up the hill. I want to be able to use most of 4th instead of having to bog down to 3rd gear and rapp it out. What gearing do you guys think will be best for the dunes and desert? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBlood Rider

Posted December 11, 2006 - 06:20 PM

I just got my 2001 WR426 right before thanksgiving and went down to the dunes for thanksgiving. It ran great all day and night, but im having trouble getting into 4th gear going up the hill. I want to be able to use most of 4th instead of having to bog down to 3rd gear and rapp it out. What gearing do you guys think will be best for the dunes and desert? Thanks

Go up at least acouple of teeth on the rear sprocket. The problem with sand is that you need to keep the rpms up to prevent bogging, but a smaller sprocket means you need higher speed or more wheel spin to do it. A larger sprocket will reduce your overall top speed, but it will raise the rpms at a lower speed so that you have less problem with bogging or stalling and you'll be able to carry a higher gear longer. Unfortunately, what works in the dunes will probably not work in the desert. You'll probably want a smaller gear in the desert for more top end and longer time between shifts.

• jolleyr

Posted December 12, 2006 - 10:28 AM

I ride the dunes often on my 2001 wr426. I like 13/51 for the dunes. Seems to get the job done. I ride 14/50 for the desert. Good luck.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.