1994 XR600R clutch job questions

11 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I'm thinking of replacing the friction plates or what else? It's good now, but once I thought it faded into 5 th gear . I thought its time for r&r ? Any tips or recomendations . Are there other things I should change, since I'm in there? (I know my kick-starter shaft seal is starting to weep. a must seal change.)

• cleonard

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Don't forget the clutch springs. I replaced my clutch only to have it fry again due to worn out springs. They just didn't apply enough force for proper clutch action.

• creeky

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:04 PM

I have found that sandpapering the metal discs helps the clutch action when replacing the clutch pack. I use #120 paper on an orbital sander.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted December 12, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I used the barnett dirtr digger kit and the new springs are about .200" shorter than the old stockers. Seems like it should work after i adjust the lever.
Does this sound right?

• bork

Posted December 12, 2006 - 08:21 PM

I personally, am not going to use Barnett. Heard some things on this site. May use oem or anyone else have any good recomendations?

• bork

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Bump. How about a survey. who has changed out with what brand or OEM. How many hours /years working trouble free?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ArmPump

Posted December 18, 2006 - 05:19 AM

Bump. How about a survey. who has changed out with what brand or OEM. How many hours /years working trouble free?

I dunno about the XRs but I've ran CR500s for years and nothing beats OEM plates for wear and engagement feel.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 18, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Honda clutches are some of the best out there but Barnett are as good so go with whatever is cheapest. I'd perssonally unless money is super tight replace the metal plates, fibre ones and springs. Also, replace the cable as this may actually be the problem anyway!!!!!!

• tomb1957

Posted December 18, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I used the EBC full kit springs, friction, and steel plates. Works great. $65.00 for everything. Easy job, hardest part is removing old gasket from gear case.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted December 23, 2006 - 01:03 PM

I just put the Barnett Dirt Digger on
The springs are shorter than stock. Getting on the throttle in second I had some major slippage. Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not.

• cleonard

Posted December 23, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I just put the Barnett Dirt Digger on
The springs are shorter than stock. Getting on the throttle in second I had some major slippage. Not sure if it needs to be broken in or not.

If it's slipping when new, it will get fried in short order. Those must be the wrong springs. Either get the proper ones, or reuse you old ones.

• tomb1957

Posted December 26, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Did you soak the friction plates before installing? Also I thought mine was slipping then realized that it was wheel spin due to new clutch and need of new rear tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.