650L vrs 650r

45 replies to this topic
  • mookymoo

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:51 AM

Is there not also a difference in the gearing between the L and the R models?

Typically, on the L models, the top gears are taller (but the same gearing lower down). At least this is the case on the 250's.

This can make a huge difference if you are riding on road. It means the L can do the freeway speeds much more comfortably.

• BWB63

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:34 AM

The XR650R has a stock faster top end speed. The speedo's on the "L's" are 8~12% off and true top speed is just over 90mph. It does have to do with horsepower to weight raito. 500 pounds (with wind drag) takes a little more then 40rwhp to get to 100mph. A stock uncorked XR650R has 44rwhp and with the stock tire and a 180~200 pound person can get to the rev limiter at 99.7mph. With a taller tire and mod'ed stock engine, I have cycled the bikes rev limiter at 102 (48/14). With a 680cc engine i have just topped 118 in the dirt (47/15)

The drag force on a bike & rider is:

F = (1/2)(rho)(V²)(A)(Cd)

Where
F is drag force (Newtons)
rho is air density (kg/m³), about 1.2 kg/m³ at sea level
V is velocity (m/s)
A is projected frontal area of bike and rider
Cd is drag coefficient (dimensionless).

The power required to maintain a given speed is the drag force, F, multiplied by the velocity.

P = F · V
P = (1/2)(rho)(V³)(A)(Cd)

Where
P is power (Watts).
745.7 W = 1 horsepower

I bet I could find a nasty rocky just-above-idle speed hillclimb in the woods where the L could do it better.

Some times there's an advantage in having just enough oomph...

Dave

Dave, you have been messing with the "L" way to long! It's time to come over to the other side.:thumbsup:

You will find a whole new oomph, that will get you places much easier. Come on you can try it, it won't hurt you........just get on a real BRP and you will see........680cc make a stock XR650R feel like a "L":ride:

• creeky

Posted December 16, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Except for the E-start, the R has better everything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Dave, you have been messing with the "L" way to long! It's time to come over to the other side.:thumbsup:

You will find a whole new oomph, that will get you places much easier. Come on you can try it, it won't hurt you........just get on a real BRP and you will see........680cc make a stock XR650R feel like a "L":ride:

Now you're just being mean- you know I'm in the peoples republic of NY...

Dave

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:53 AM

I don't understand what your saying dave, can you explain?

Ahm a sayin' ah think ah can find a hill that mah XRL can climb that'd be harder or impossible on ahn XRR, pilgrim!

An' that more power ain't always the key to a-gettin' the job done!

Dave

• hill5150

Posted December 18, 2006 - 08:57 AM

Not if I pick the hill <snicker snicker>

Sometimes speed ain't the thing.

D

Speed is..... everything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.