650L vrs 650r

45 replies to this topic
  • jetfuel

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I don't understand why this topic always brings out the best in people.

The R weighs a bit less and has a lot more power. If anyone feels they need the happy button it can be added.

Except for air time the L will do anything a dirtbike can do, and a fair bit of it will be easy because of the mellow power and mucho torque, but it'll do it slower than most other bikes/folks (us +200 pounders can bend the L to our will pretty good, though).

Anyone that's honest with themselves about the riding they want to do will pick the right one.

They're both low-maint and pretty bulletproof.

Dave

Thanks Dave you summed it up perfectly....

• rcnutt

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:03 PM

L stands for "lady's".........sorry,,,,I just could'nt help myself......:thumbsup:

• rockn6gs

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:23 PM

:thumbsup: :devil: :smirk: :smirk: :bonk:

L stands for "lady's".........sorry,,,,I just could'nt help myself......:cry:

• Ferdinand

Posted December 12, 2006 - 10:01 PM

If you like/ want the ease of electric start decent lights and signals set up out of the box and a more comfortable seat get the L. If you are riding mainly dirt roads and or paved roads get the L. It will still get you to over 90mph if you want.(just not as fast as the R)

However if you don't mind fixing or riding with an uncomfortable seat, messin with lights, and signals, and changing rear tires often keep the R. If you want basicly a rocket on knobbies keep the R.:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:42 AM

L stands for "lady's".........sorry,,,,I just could'nt help myself......:thumbsup:

That's "Latte" to you, laddie!!

Dave

• 5 axis Fidia guy

Posted December 13, 2006 - 10:19 AM

I am a sportbike guru and also lived many years in the dirt, having said that, I used to have a "L" , bought it new back in 95' and beat the piss out of it on all the northern wisconsin logging roads and sand roads and I just loved it. I sold it recently with over 20k miles on it with not a single problem, now I am in the same situation as you I'm shopping for another one. I would really like to get the R because it fits my riding style better, but in wisconsin I was told it's a little hard to get it registered for the street,, any and all advice would be great.

• wheelnut46

Posted December 13, 2006 - 10:37 AM

It's not like the two bikes are interchangable. The XRR IS NOT a dual sport bike. It is not 50 state legal right out of the box. If you have made your XRR street legal then good on you but for many people in many places it simply isnt an option. Assuming that it's simply a choice of performance levels is a mistake.
The "L" is good at what it does and has been good at it for 14 years. The fact that it is air cooled and less maintenance intensive is a huge selling point to many. Sure it doesnt have the power of the "R" but not everyone has the talent or the area to ride past the capabilities of the bike.
Personally I think if you already have a plated "R" and are capable of kicking it regularly then that would be the way to go but if your choice includes an electric starter and street legal without question than you can't go wrong with the XRL. It's a heck of a dual sport bike. Still doing a good job at what it was designed to do after all these years.

• blueridge

Posted December 13, 2006 - 10:47 AM

The XR-L is Honda's entry in the Zook DR650 and Kawa KLR650 class of bikes. That class fits a particular riding profile, with the XR-L probably being the most dirt worthy of the three, and the KLR being the most street worthy, and the Zook in the middle.

The XR-R is unto itself, a class of one.

Since I have plated my XR-Rs, and kick starters are not an issue, have street bikes for pavement only, and don't plan to ride around the world, there's no reason I would buy a bike in the first class.

• 76Datsun280z

Posted December 13, 2006 - 11:41 AM

I've got a 99' xr650l with some modifications such as a rejetted carburator. The bike is great, I love it! I can tell you first hand thought that it's not a little cr125 that you can throw around the corners or in the woods on really techinical trails that you would that kind of bike on. What I really think is cool about 650l is that it's street legal so if you ever come to a road, you never have to worry about cops and find the next trail. All in all it's a great bike!

• JackAttack

Posted December 13, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Here is a sticker that you can put on your "L" :

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Big Red Paul

Posted December 13, 2006 - 06:21 PM

LOL good on JackAttack !!

But serioulsy,

I assume that 'R' as in XR650'R' stands for 'racer'.

What does the 'L' as in XR650'L' stand for ?

Last ? Limper ? Lovely ?

What does 'XR' stand for ?

What does, inane mean ?

• tirebiter

Posted December 13, 2006 - 06:37 PM

I recently purchased a 650r and am wondering if the purchase was right for me. I want to hit the dirt roads hard but not the single track stuff, maybe occasionally. Now I'm looking at puting the magic button on and it seems like I'm getting to a 650L. Is there realy going to be that much difference between the two or do I cut my losses now and by an 650L. Any input is much appreciated.

I switched from the R to the L, gettin old.
Miss the power of the R, but the L takes me on the same trips the R did, without having my knee all swollen up on Monday morn from kick'n he R. BTW, I'm 55- been riding for over 40 years on a weekly basis.
Got a little KTM for the single trac..
Both are great bikes, but worlds apart as far as performance.

If I had to choose between the two?

I'd take both. :thumbsup:

• wheelnut46

Posted December 13, 2006 - 07:41 PM

Here is a sticker that you can put on your "L" :

Posted Image

:smirk: :thumbsup:
Thanks for opening up and sharing a little about yourself. I understand you people often feel threatened by mainstream perceptions but we operate here on a dont ask / dont tell philosophy. Most of us would never hinder your attempt to "come out" and wish you all the luck in the world.

:devil:

Just kidding man!

• Ferdinand

Posted December 13, 2006 - 10:33 PM

Actually I prefer it if they don't come out, I don't even want to know:eek: But that sticker would probably go nicely on those disturbing colored KLR's and XT's of the early- mid nineties:p

• AlbinoPig

Posted December 14, 2006 - 03:42 AM

There is no measure you can make where the L outperforms the R.

However, when the EPA and DMV Nazis pull the plates on all of the bootlegged R's you may discover that the R stands for RECALLED and the L stands for LEGAL.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=446819

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 14, 2006 - 04:26 PM

There is no measure you can make where the L outperforms the R.

However, when the EPA and DMV Nazis pull the plates on all of the bootlegged R's you may discover that the R stands for RECALLED and the L stands for LEGAL.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=446819

I bet I could find a nasty rocky just-above-idle speed hillclimb in the woods where the L could do it better.

Some times there's an advantage in having just enough oomph...

Dave

• hill5150

Posted December 14, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I bet I could find a nasty rocky just-above-idle speed hillclimb in the woods where the L could do it better.

Some times there's an advantage in having just enough oomph...

Dave

We will be waiting for you at the top of that hill, for a while..........

• weskc35k

Posted December 14, 2006 - 09:08 PM

01 680/plated/real fast/throws rocks/big rocks.......cops hate this.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 15, 2006 - 09:07 AM

We will be waiting for you at the top of that hill, for a while..........

Not if I pick the hill <snicker snicker>

Sometimes speed ain't the thing.

D

• 2000 xr650r

Posted December 15, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Not if I pick the hill <snicker snicker>

Sometimes speed ain't the thing.

D

I don't understand what your saying dave, can you explain?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.