650L vrs 650r

45 replies to this topic
  • tswinscoe

Posted December 10, 2006 - 11:46 PM

I recently purchased a 650r and am wondering if the purchase was right for me. I want to hit the dirt roads hard but not the single track stuff, maybe occasionally. Now I'm looking at puting the magic button on and it seems like I'm getting to a 650L. Is there realy going to be that much difference between the two or do I cut my losses now and by an 650L. Any input is much appreciated.

• pigryder

Posted December 11, 2006 - 04:49 AM

dude get the L

• frankstr

Posted December 11, 2006 - 05:56 AM

dude get the L

R U like sick...:devil: ..

The "R" is the one..Fix it for you...You can have the best of both worlds..
Once you get the "R" set up for you, You'll never think twice..:thumbsup:

Now, I'm just wondering where this thread is going....:smirk:

:smirk: :bonk:

• pgiinc

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I have both and I am selling my 650L
to heavy and more of a road bike
I Dual sported my 650R it was easier to do this then to make the 650L like the 650R, I like to have fun and kick ass every chance

• ponq

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:50 AM

I think if you have to ask, you are probably better off with the L.

• cleonard

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:07 AM

I recently purchased a 650r and am wondering if the purchase was right for me. I want to hit the dirt roads hard but not the single track stuff, maybe occasionally. Now I'm looking at puting the magic button on and it seems like I'm getting to a 650L. Is there realy going to be that much difference between the two or do I cut my losses now and by an 650L. Any input is much appreciated.

The L is great for the paved or unpaved roads. The L doesn't have the raw power of the R, but the L is fast enough to get the job done. The R is lighter and has better suspension, but this really shows on difficult terrain. If electric start is really needed get the L. If maximum performance is the requirement stay with the R.

• tswinscoe

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:08 AM

How much power difference is there between the R and the L? Can you tell the difference between the suspension? I guess i just need to scare up a L and see the difference.

• eastreich

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:15 AM

How much power difference is there between the R and the L? Can you tell the difference between the suspension? I guess i just need to scare up a L and see the difference.

I'm sure that this will upset the L crowd, but I am fairly biased. I push bikes disgustingly hard, so I am biased towards the bigger/faster/stronger side. Remember that, as I'm not trying to start a hate thread with all of you L guys out there. This is all JMHO!!!:thumbsup:

Compared to an opened up R (intake manifold, air box plugs, tip), the L has a hard time getting out of it's own way. You'll have a bunch of people tell you to do the Dave's mods to the L, but it still won't touch the R. If you simply put an Edelbrock carb on the R, a whole new level of performance can be reached.

The suspension is also night and day, although if you are just cruising down the pavement or a dirt road, you won't really be able to tell. As soon as you get near a few rocks, ditches, or washboards, the differences will be much more apparent. The R, although not on the cutting edge of technology (more like the cutting edge of 1989 Kawasaki technology), is still much farther ahead in fork rigidity and control than the 1983 cutting edge technology on the L.

If you can ride the two back to back, it will be much easier to see if you need to change bikes for the type of riding you do. If you don't ride very hard, the L may be the right bike for you. But if you eventually want to push the envelope even a little, the R is a much better starting point. Simply put, the R is lighter, more powerful, and better suspended than an L.

• hypersthenos

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:43 AM

I have owned both. The seat height on the L is a bit taller, it has much less power. The electric start is a big issue for some though. My brother in law has an L & you'll have to pry his dead corpse off of it before he'll part with it. He likes the power just fine & loves the magic button. I curently have a plated R & bought it because I wanted the lightest, most powerful yet reliable big bore dual sport I could find. There a few compromises (for me) with the R other than a high output stator & a more comfortable seat. The power is night & day. I just started a thread in the general section about considering the purchase of a new Harley & the advice is all over the board. Buying/owning a motorcycle is always a series of compromises with so many choices out there. Just be happy with what you have. Hey, at least your on 2 wheels! The advantages/dissadvantages of the R vs L thing can go on all day. I guess from my perspective if you have spent a lot of time riding dirt bikes you'll appreciate the R but if you're more biased towards the street the L may the the setup.

• roadcam

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:48 AM

L vs R ... easy, one is designed to be a blend of on/offroad, (and, the 'L' shines at that purpose !) ... the 'R' was designed for racing ... you can build an R to be streetable, but you will have a helluva time getting an L to perform and handle like an R (and, you would likely be very disappointed) ... :thumbsup: ) P.S., for me, the 'L' is the perfect bike, but I don't race ... I mostly just grunt around the boonies with her, and crash frequently ... (hey, it's what I do) ...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kipanderson

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Maintenance schedule for XR650R?

Hi,

It is between a XR650R and the XR650L. I have been thinking that the 650L would be the best buy because of my concern that the 650R would need too much maintenance. My question is what is the maintenance schedule for a XR650R? I know the book schedule is very short intervals but in the real world, with only relatively unstressed use by the standards of the potential of a XR650R, what sort of intervals can one get away with.

For oil changes, filter changes and valves checks and such.

My fear is that the XR650R needs maintenance on a scale close to that of a CRF250/450X rather than a XR650L.

Thanks,
All the best,
Kip.

• Maroast

Posted December 11, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Maintenance schedule for XR650R?

For oil changes, filter changes and valves checks and such.

My fear is that the XR650R needs maintenance on a scale close to that of a CRF250/450X rather than a XR650L.

I was in the same boat as you having just come off a klr650...I changed the oil every 3k miles and check the valves every 6k....I put a whole bunch of hard miles on that bike following that routine.

on the xr650r its a bit different and i almost didnt get the bike. as a rule of thumb i change the oil every 500 miles and put in a new filter after 1000...so thats ever other change....it doesnt always work out this way and the oil stays in a little longer. It comes out looking pretty good though, not all burnt up or anything.

As for valves, i check them every time i change the oil..the key word is CHECK...the bike is a little under 6 months old and has about 6500 miles on it...I've only had to ADJUST the valves ONCE and they were'nt even out of spec...just a little close to the edge. And adjusting the valves is a snap. On my klr650 i had to do calculations and take take shims to the dealer so i could BUY new shims at a reduced rate...sometimes I had to go to multiple dealers to find the shim I needed. On the xrr there are no shims and no calculations to do. You don’t have to pull the valve cover off or pull the cams out to do adjustments. It's mad easy. http://www.off-road..../XR650ValveAdj/

And now the kickstart!!!!! When I first bought the bike I couldn't start the thing and thought I made a HUGE mistake in buying it....and when the bike fell over in a crash or just stupidness it was a TOTAL BITCH to start.

Once you figure it out is SOOOOOOO EASY to start...even after a crash. DONOT let the lack of a "magic button" be a deciding factor at all. Once the bike is tuned it turns over with just one MELLOW kick. I was scared that if i crashed when riding alone and hurt my leg, that I wouldnt be able to kick the bike...well just for shits and giggles I tried to "kick" the bike using just my hand...it turned over first time no problem...I'm a weakling too. If someone offered me a FREE E-start for my xrr i would not take it….I like kicking it that much…I think you’ll hear the same thing from 99% of the other xrr riders out there.

The xr650r is a rocking bike. You can beat the snot out of it and ride it on the road for long distances (its not super comfortable on the long haul)... I rode it from Dallas, TX to Utah and back with no problems at all.

Hope this eases your woes...I struggled a lot when deciding to buy this bike and havent had a single regret since signing the papers. up until a few weeks ago this was my only vehicle and it preformed awesome on my daily commute and after work/ weekend rampages. :thumbsup:

• pgiinc

Posted December 11, 2006 - 12:55 PM

oil change is same on both bikes
valves are easier to adjust on the 650R
and did I mention the weight 324 for thr 650L and 277 for the 650R
and if you don't think 47 pounds makes a big differance think again

• kipanderson

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:14 PM

Maroast,

Thanks for your post…. hugely useful and stuffed full of all the information I was after. Great link, valve check/adjustment does not look as big a job as on the CRF models.

Thanks again…posts like yours take time, I appreciate your help.

Will have a think about it for a while a both bikes are great in their own way but the 650R clearly is something special.

All the best,
Kip.

• rockn6gs

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:18 PM

If you have ridden both bikes there is no comparison!!
The R and L are two totally different bikes. If you want a street bike buy an L if you are looking for a bike that that will get you out of trouble when you need throttle than look at the R. As far has having an e-start if that’s what will decide for you than look at a KTM. Best of luck which ever way you go.

• hill5150

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:59 PM

dude get the L

Dude do yourself a favor, and don't buy the "L"..........

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 12, 2006 - 09:39 AM

I don't understand why this topic always brings out the best in people.

The R weighs a bit less and has a lot more power. If anyone feels they need the happy button it can be added.

Except for air time the L will do anything a dirtbike can do, and a fair bit of it will be easy because of the mellow power and mucho torque, but it'll do it slower than most other bikes/folks (us +200 pounders can bend the L to our will pretty good, though).

Anyone that's honest with themselves about the riding they want to do will pick the right one.

They're both low-maint and pretty bulletproof.

Dave

• adam574

Posted December 12, 2006 - 10:50 AM

so many people have made the l and r choice. i am what i think on the younger side of this particular group being 26. with that said i don't know how my hips will like kicking a bike at 46. but for now i really don't see a need for e-start. my bike only takes two or three kicks and fires right up, for me the added parts and weight isn't worth it.

as far as weight goes i can't imagine trying to lift an l onto a bike stand for some maintenance. i can just barely get my r on the damn thing.

• BWB63

Posted December 12, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Im not sick I just have both and for what this guy wants to use it for get the L......you know what ****in forget it Im not even gonna read posts like this anymore cause all it does is start a dam arguement!!!!!

:thumbsup: :devil:
Dude it's the internet! None of this neans nothing or maybe it does and shouldn't. 70% of what you read is not even what the person writing even ment, because you read it with your own attitude. One day you can read something and get pissed because you are looking for that or a week later read something simular and laugh you head off.

XR650L's are for weenies! GET a XR650R boar it, drop a few 10K into it and jump the freeway!

• blueridge

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:57 PM

GET a XR650R boar it

Big Red Boar
is not a
Big Red Bore
unless it's a
XR680Roar

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.