Significant changes from 2006 to 2007 YZ450F?

13 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:57 PM

I'm thinking of switching to a YZ from my WR and am curious if there are many benefits of the 07 over the 06. Some dealers still have the 06 and I can save about $800 so I'm curious if it's worth it. Any suggestions on best prices in SoCal, Nevada, Utah, etc? I live in Mexico but will be going back to Arizona in 2 weeks and would like to buy it then but I'd prefer to avoid paying sales tax if possible.

Thanks!

• Smokeslider

Posted December 10, 2006 - 10:18 PM

Besides the suttle little changes that the common rider may or may not notice, the changes I've heard of are the wave rotors, taller bars and a quieter exhaust.

• Ranger18

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:39 AM

If you can find the 06 get it. I would think you would be able to save $1000
If LA yamaha or pasdanda yamaha have any left You should be able to get it for around $5500 OTD For the money you save you can get the taller bars that you choose, some ASV's a Dr. D exhaust, some new graphics, new front tire and new chain and sprocket kit. Either way they are both sweet bikes

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Revised steering geometry and a longer rear shock. Wave rotors. New exhaust with a stepped header. 8mm taller bars than the '06. Forged top triple clamp. Revised pressure plate and lighter clutch pull. Different cam timing.

Is all of that worth $700-1000? Maybe, if the '06 weren't such a fantastically good bike.

• 35yz450F

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Revised steering geometry and a longer rear shock. Wave rotors. New exhaust with a stepped header. 8mm taller bars than the '06. Forged top triple clamp. Revised pressure plate and lighter clutch pull. Different cam timing.

Is all of that worth $700-1000? Maybe, if the '06 weren't such a fantastically good bike.

Is the revised steering angle geometry a result of the longer shock or did they change the steering tube angle?

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:41 PM

That's a very good question, and it's one that I haven't been able to get answered conclusively. Either way, Yamaha essentially built the most common field fixes for the '06 into the new bike.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted December 11, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Did you say YZ to WR ... the WR is 100% new for 2007 from the frame up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 11, 2006 - 03:50 PM

more power, handles better, bigger balls, pisses off the 06 owners, what more do you need? :thumbsup:

• bboyce

Posted December 11, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the 07 have less actual power output? I thought the new pipe and cam were to smooth out the power, and the result of the pipe was an actual 1 Hp loss, probably not noticable for top end, but I dont think its that great to want to change from 06 to 07. If you can get the 06, do, all you have to do is move the forks up in the clamps and it basically does what Yamaha did to the 07 by making the shock longer.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I've never heard that, nor seen a dyno run that proves it, either. I've heard a number of things said about the power being shifted around some, but no one I can remember has said it has less. Several guys have noted the bottom end was a little soft until they changed the pipe, but that's true of the '06, too.

• Trailhunter

Posted December 16, 2006 - 05:22 PM

I just picked up a new 06 for 4800. What a monster!!!

• red7

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:48 PM

I just picked up a new 06 for 4800. What a monster!!!

Sweet.....I can't wait to get mine! I don't know what it is but there sure are some incredible deals East of Kansas. When I mention them to dealers here they are completely stumped on how those dealers can get them so cheap that they can stay in business at those prices. Oh well, I'm stoked even at the price I paid and I wouldn't leave the West coast for a Million $ so it's all good.

• live4speed

Posted January 25, 2007 - 10:24 AM

the 07 is the "refinement year" for the big YZ...the only thing that worries me about the 07 is the muffler...they "packed" it more to make it quieter...(that usually means less power)?!?!?

• red7

Posted January 25, 2007 - 12:54 PM

I think either year the bikes are great and I'm stoked on my '06 which I refined on my own for very little money. It seems that so many people go to aftermarket exhaust so I sure wouldn't let that deter you from an '07 and I doubt the any possible power loss from it would be noticeable even if there is any.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.