What size is the allen in the bottom of the fork?

5 replies to this topic
  • Woody426

Posted December 30, 2001 - 05:28 PM

Dumping the first fork oil on my 2001. I want to pull the damper out to clean the break in crud out. What size is the allen to remove the bottom cap/valve, 15mm? Where can I get one?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 30, 2001 - 06:02 PM

It is 14 mm.

I bought both a hex socket and an allen wrench. I ordered the socket from snap-on online #FAM14E (I forget how much - $20?). I ordered the allen wrench from Napa online ,napa service tools #67264 (about $7). Or you can order one from your local Napa auto parts dealer.

Someone else on TT said they got their's at Autozone but my local Autozone stared at me like I had two heads when I asked if they had such a thing.

Steve T

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 30, 2001 - 06:05 PM

BTW - you will also need a cartridge holding tool. If you want to buy one, I suggest Scotts Perfomance. Their's was about $35 + shipping. Much less than Race Tech (around $65).

Steve T

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stumpy

Posted December 31, 2001 - 10:35 PM

My cartridge holding tool is made out of a 2.5 foot piece of galvanized pipe with two tabs ground out at the end. I welded a nut onto a bolt w/a 14mm head for my "wrench" for the bottom of the forks. Yes, I am a cheap bastard.

• motoman393

Posted December 31, 2001 - 10:43 PM

I think I am even cheaper LOL check this out: http://mx393.tripod.com/cartridge.html But hey who cares if it is cheap...it works!

• Woody426

Posted December 31, 2001 - 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, job done. Bought a socket at Sears $13.95. I found a one inch piece of steel pipe in my garage(free)and an old Tiawan spark plug socket in the junk drawer(free). Filed a + in the pipe and welded the socket at the end for my t-handle or rachet. Viola! cartridge holder. Cheap is as cheap does.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.