"Snap On" impact or torque wrench

22 replies to this topic
  • max49

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Has any one got theirs for buying their '07 fofiddy yet. If so , give a report on it. I'm supposed to get the impact wrench. Snap On is soooo proud of their stuff. $329 on the Snap on site. I paid $25 for mine at Harbor Freight and it works good. I'll keep the Snap On like a trophy, just for bragging.

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:20 PM

Has any one got theirs for buying their '07 fofiddy yet. If so , give a report on it. I'm supposed to get the impact wrench. Snap On is soooo proud of their stuff. $329 on the Snap on site. I paid $25 for mine at Harbor Freight and it works good. I'll keep the Snap On like a trophy, just for bragging.

I'll give you that Snap-on is over-priced, but harbor frieght is junk! You get what you pay for!

I'll be chosing the Impact...

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Snap-On is high quality. Id go for the Impact

• joeinalpine

Posted December 10, 2006 - 11:23 PM

Whats the deal with the torque wrench??? I bought my 2007 YZ450F last month and was not aware of getting free stuff sent to me. Do I have to send in something?

• Mike546

Posted December 11, 2006 - 03:04 AM

I got mine about two weeks ago. Just set it anywhere from 5 to 100 and it beeps and vibrates when you hit the specified torque. Joeinalpine, call the dealer where you got your bike and tell them you want the torque wrench and make sure they do the paperwork. I would get the torque wrench over the impact. You can easily strip the motor bolts with those cheap Harbor Freight tools. I know from experience, that's why they only cost $20.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:54 AM

I have a 25 year old Snap-On 1/2" click-type torque wrench that I used professionally for over 20 years. It's in absolutely perfect condition, nicks and dings not withstanding, and dead accurate across the range it covers. You can get a good deal on an impact wrench at any number of tool stores. I'd take the torque wrench.

Harbor Freight tools are extreme low cost, occasional use, throw-aways. Sometimes you not only get what you pay for, you get what's coming to you. I had a friend come within a quarter inch of loosing an eye while he was tightening the pedals on a bicycle when a jaw broke off the 15mm open end he was using.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:05 AM

I bought one of these from sears years ago. It still works great for the bikes. One of the few that actually go low enough in torque settings to be useful for aluminum.

http://www.sears.com...=TOOL&ihtoken=1

• WB450

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I'm waiting for my torque wrench, wish it would hurry up.:thumbsup:

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:26 AM

I found that Husky tools do work very nicely, and are not a bad price. We have a $100 Husky impact that is very nice, but still not as nice as a Snap-On (to be expected). Another thing that I found cool - my local Snap-On truck has a big Yamaha Racing sticker on the back.

• joeinalpine

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:56 AM

Called the dealer... thanks for the heads up! I was going to buy a new torque wrench this week but now I will just borrow my firends until mine comes in:applause: :thumbsup:

I also bought a 2006 YZ250F for my son (special edition white with the red and black graphics) and I might get the promotion with that one also ..... free impact wrench please :devil: :smirk: :smirk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 74Hustler

Posted December 11, 2006 - 12:17 PM

How long did it take you guys to get your Snap On stuff? It's been over a month I have not received mine yet.:thumbsup:

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 11, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Snap-on impacts are JUNK! No power in comparison to competitors, and need rebuilding twice as often. Save yourself tons of cash and get an Ingersoll Rand , twice the gun of the Crap-on.

As for torque wrenches, Snap-On makes an excellent tool there, the major thing many forget is to have them calibrated on a regular basis.

• byggd

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:30 PM

If you want a dependable impact with tons of power get the CP 734. I’ve had mine for over 25 years, used it daily for 15 of the years when I was turning wrenches and have only needed to rebuild it once.

I had a hard time finding an inch lb torque wrench so I got one from harbor freight and so far it has served me well.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:38 PM

Snap-on impacts are JUNK! No power in comparison to competitors, and need rebuilding twice as often. Save yourself tons of cash and get an Ingersoll Rand , twice the gun of the Crap-on.

As for torque wrenches, Snap-On makes an excellent tool there, the major thing many forget is to have them calibrated on a regular basis.

If you are talking cordless or electric impacts, they're all lame, IMO. None of them that I've ever seen, which does exclude anything that's truly new in the last two years, can come close to the power of an air impact.

If you want a dependable impact with tons of power get the CP 734. I’ve had mine for over 25 years, used it daily for 15 of the years when I was turning wrenches and have only needed to rebuild it once.

I had a hard time finding an inch lb torque wrench so I got one from harbor freight and so far it has served me well.

The CP 734 is a good wrench, I own one, and I agree, it's compact and light, for what it is, and it's a very strong and durable tool. OTOH, I had a 725S, the 3/8" counterpart, for several years, and although it was also small and powerful for a 3/8" impact, it used to go through timing shafts so fast I had to keep a new one on hand to keep working. The older it got, the faster it broke them. I traded it in on a Snap-On AT380, which was almost as small, significantly l more powerful, and a more durable tool in all day, every day use. And I mean by that that half the work I did with it probably should have been done with a half inch wrench. It breaks a pair of clutch drive pins now and again, but not nearly as often or as expensive to fix. It's a really great wrench, and it will do anything I need it for on the bike.

As far as torque wrench calibration. I had my 1/2" Snap-On checked 4 times in 25 years, only adjusted once. :thumbsup: My 1/4" wrench is a Blue-Point (Snap-On's "lower" line) flex beam 0-120 in/lb.

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you are talking cordless or electric impacts, they're all lame, IMO. None of them that I've ever seen, which does exclude anything that's truly new in the last two years, can come close to the power of an air impact.

The only thing the cordless impacts (3/8 drive or less) are good for is light stuff like side panel screws or automotive interior work. After that, totally worthless. Corded Electric impacts are one of the most useless inventions I have ever seen.

• max49

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:02 PM

The only thing the cordless impacts (3/8 drive or less) are good for is light stuff like side panel screws or automotive interior work. After that, totally worthless. Corded Electric impacts are one of the most useless inventions I have ever seen.

Are we working on heavy equipment or dirt bikes?
What the heck do we want all this power of the air impact wrench for for a motorcycle? Sounds like a bunch of macho men .
And yes I have an 1/2" air impact and a 3/8"cordless and a 1/2" electric impact that has enough power to take the 12 bolts off each tire on the motorhome and takes up a lot less room than an air compressor.

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Good air impacts are required for many things on a bike, such as the front sprocket nut. I know from experience.

• Chickenhauler

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:49 PM

Are we working on heavy equipment or dirt bikes?
What the heck do we want all this power of the air impact wrench for for a motorcycle? Sounds like a bunch of macho men .
And yes I have an 1/2" air impact and a 3/8"cordless and a 1/2" electric impact that has enough power to take the 12 bolts off each tire on the motorhome and takes up a lot less room than an air compressor.

Very true point, but do you buy tools to merely work on your bike, or to do everything you need?? I was making reference to the fact that while cordless and electric impacts have their uses, they are far from having the power of pneumatic tools.

• max49

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:08 PM

Man can never have too many tools. But I need more boxes for all the "extra ones"

• tmauto69

Posted December 12, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I bought mine on 9/23 so I missed my free tool by about a week. Don't that suck. :thumbsup: At least I got a deal on the bike at $5845 OTD (06 450).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.