Which petcock for a larger tank.

13 replies to this topic
  • Infidel

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:44 PM

I've got a 3.4 gallon IMS tank to mount and after riding with a friend who used an aftermarket petcock on his bike, I'd like to know what other options are available.

The OEM petcock is one option but there must be other more cost effective solutions to this.

Anybody got ideas...........?

:thumbsup:

• Owyhee

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:46 PM

I've got a 3.4 gallon IMS tank to mount and after riding with a friend who used an aftermarket petcock on his bike, I'd like to know what other options are available.

The OEM petcock is one option but there must be other more cost effective solutions to this.

Anybody got ideas...........?

:thumbsup:

I re-used the stock petcock on my 600 for my IMS 4.3. Big mistake. The O-ring didn't seal at all and my garage was covered with gas. It POURED out. Maybe my gasket was bad, I dunno. I used a liberal dab of silicon and it seals like a champ now.

If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't be so cheap and I would have gotten a new petcock.

"O"

• Marc with a c

Posted December 10, 2006 - 11:44 PM

I put the IMS 4.7 on my 93 with the stock petcock no problems here, other than the IMS fuel cap gasket tearing after 2 fills.:thumbsup: Bad design. I replaced the cap with the one off my 86 250R threads matched perfect :devil:
It is nice to have the reserve and internal mesh filter running the stocker, since most aftermarket ones have no reserve tube or filter built in.

• NavyNuke

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:04 AM

use the stock petcock, but make another gasket for it. Just trim an old tube around it, works great!! Just put a small hole in it for the petcock filters to stick through.

• roadcam

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:08 AM

my stock Honda petcock mounted flawlessly to my IMS 4.0 gal. tank ... been on there almost three years now, without any problems ... :thumbsup:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:57 PM

It's not the petcock thats leaking, its the tank. About 1 in 10 tanks that come from IMS have a sealing problem at the petcock hole. I sold several to customers that had this problem but IMS always exchanged them with no problems. I've had my IMS 4.7 for almost 5 years and it still works great to this day.

• goblin127

Posted December 11, 2006 - 06:46 PM

No problems with my stock petcock and clark tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maroast

Posted December 12, 2006 - 04:47 AM

ditto.

• Owyhee

Posted December 12, 2006 - 06:34 AM

It's not the petcock thats leaking, its the tank. About 1 in 10 tanks that come from IMS have a sealing problem at the petcock hole. I sold several to customers that had this problem but IMS always exchanged them with no problems. I've had my IMS 4.7 for almost 5 years and it still works great to this day.

It may have been user error on my part. I got the tank used so I have no idea how old it is. The silicon (GRV?) sealant actually hold up well. It stayed sealed till below 20 degrees.

"O"

• Troy_Bell

Posted December 12, 2006 - 12:19 PM

ditto x 2.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted December 12, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Acerbis 7 gallon stock petcock no problems, and a 5 gallon Clarke stock petcock no problems.

• Infidel

Posted December 12, 2006 - 07:50 PM

I can't argue with the concensus. I'm really surprised that nobody has mounted another petcock but I'll take this advice........

Thanks

• HawkGT

Posted December 12, 2006 - 11:11 PM

I looked for an alternative (lower cost) petcock for my stock tank so I could make easier tank swaps (my stock petcock is in my IMS tank). After a bit of searching I just bought another OEM petcock.

• NavyNuke

Posted December 13, 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have the accerbis tank with there dual petcocks, much lower quality than OEM ones, at least to my feel. But they don't leak, so I don't want to mess with it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.