Will I fit a XR650L?

11 replies to this topic
  • kipanderson

Posted December 10, 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

I am thinking of importing a XR650L here to the UK where I am posting from. The spec and dual-sport with an off-road bias character of the bike sounds perfect, my only concern is whether I will find the seat height way too much.

I am five foot ten and a half inches tall but must be quite long legged for my height in that I find I fit the XR650R just fine, can get both feet flat on the ground and feel very secure.

My question comes down to whether the XR650L feels taller than the XR650R? If there is only a little difference between the two when one sits on them for real I should be fine. Has anyone sat on both and noticed any major difference in seat height?

Hard to tell just from the spec sheets as the softness of the suspension and width of the seats matter a lot.

Thanks for your time and help but have not found a XR650L here in the UK to go and try out… only a XR650R.

All the best,
Kip.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 10, 2006 - 03:25 PM

If you can straddle the xr650R fine you should have no problem with the L.
Though I question your motive behind the cost of the import? The R model is a superior bike both tech. wise and in capability. I ride an L and find myself modifying it to keep up with a mostly stock R model, and cant quite do it with the stock compression ratio etc... If you want a commuter that will run forever the L is a great choice, and its great for trail riding. But I would not reccomend it for anything more serious! Good luck with your endeavor, and welcome to TT.

• wheelnut46

Posted December 10, 2006 - 04:09 PM

I added a Performance Design lowering link to my "L". Not because it was too high to ride or commute on, but because it was too high for dabbing my foot effectively off road. I'm 5'10.

• oilplug

Posted December 10, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Before you spend any money on lowering the bike make sure the shock is set on it's lowest pre-load setting and drop the front fork in the triple clamp 1/2". Brings the L down to earth and quickens up the steering. You can also carve the seat down a little if you need to.

• Mister T

Posted December 11, 2006 - 04:52 AM

My wife is 5'10" 36" in seam and she has no trouble on the street with one

• kipanderson

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies… I appreciate it and it has reassured me that I would be OK seat height wise.

My reason for going for the XR650L rather than 650R is that I am somewhat worried about the amount of high end maintenance the 650R may need. When I looked carefully at the CRF250/450 I was shocked by the frequency of the major service intervals. The valve checks for example.

Thanks,
All the best,
Kip.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:37 AM

I'm 6'2" tall, with a 34" inseam, and I didn't care for the excess seat height on my XR650L (I'm way past the 'jumping' stage of my riding life) ... I installed the Kouba-Link, and the Corbin Dual-Sport seat ...now, the seat height is just about right, with plenty of ground-clearance, etc ... pics on "My Garage" ... :thumbsup:

• kipanderson

Posted December 11, 2006 - 12:53 PM

roadcam,

You have got yourself a great looking bike…. just the job… thanks for the hints. Great mods.

I may well follow your example.

All the best,
Kip.

• kelleyseiler

Posted December 13, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hi Kip, I am 5'8" and bought a XR650L in Sept of 05 without even looking at one, when I went to the dealer to pick it up I was overwhelmed with how tall it was. First thing I did was to put a PD lowering link on it and dropped the forks about an inch and a half in the tree. It helped a great deal. I love how high you sit. In the spring I will be putting a new set of 17" supermoto rims on it and I will have both dirt and street wheels for it. You can see the lowering link here.
http://i43.photobuck...50/HPIM0300.jpg

• rebelventurer

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:07 PM

From what I have heard the maintenance on a xr650R is not much more than a xr650L, and you could probably do a couple of top end rebuilds for the import costs on a L model. Just a thought. Plus the power is already there just needs uncorking. If I were still in the UK, I would have to wait until Ducati turns the hypermotard loose, now theres a high maintenance bike!

• HighRevz

Posted December 14, 2006 - 01:25 AM

You'll be fine!!

• motivater

Posted December 16, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Im 5' 8" and have noproblem riding the 650L on or off road and the seat height was left at stock just like I bought it! Float the sides well..than no problem but im sure if you hit certain riding areas.....it could be a problem.....lololol.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.