Fuel screw dilemma

25 replies to this topic
  • marcoma

Posted December 09, 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hey Guys

I've spent the last week messing with jet settings and the like to try and get my 05 WR450F running nice. I just noticed on the 'jetting tutorial' sticky that the pictured red fuel screw (same as mine) has a washer and an o-ring on it (not the same as mine!?!)
Could this be the cause of my irregular low rpm fuelling?
I talked to the dealer and he wanted to order me a fuel screw assembly for $27....for what....an o-ring???:worthy:
If anyone knows where I can get one (if I actually do need one) and the small washer, without getting ripped off, I'd be mighty appreciative.

Thanks

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 10, 2006 - 12:14 AM

I feel what you are going through man. I bought an '06 WR450F two weeks ago. It never ran right, I couldn't take it home when I bought it. They delivered it several hours after I paid for it. I tried starting it the next day and it would only start with the choke on, fine. Here's the problem, It would only run with the choke on. So I took the carb out and found that there wasn't any fuel screw in it. I talked to another dealership, like you, they told me $35. I finally got the original dealership to pick up the bike and fix the proble, after twisting their arm and 20 calls later. You might have to bite the bullet and do it right and buy the assembly. Unless somenody here knows a better way that will work right. Either way, good luck bro.:worthy:

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:18 AM

Go back to your dealer and order these part #'s:

3TJ-14562-40-00 O-RING $1.33
3TJ-14952-40-00 WASHER $1.57
3TJ-14160-40-00 COIL, SPRING $4.15

For some reason the Yamaha parts fiche for the WR/YZ's doesn't list these as seperate part numbers but for the YFZ450 quad (same carb) it does.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:06 AM

For some reason the Yamaha parts fiche for the WR/YZ's doesn't list these as seperate part numbers but for the YFZ450 quad (same carb) it does.

You are awesome. I just wish I knew that two weeks ago. :worthy:

• marcoma

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:57 AM

AWESOME!!! You guys rock!!

Thanks soooooooooo much.

-Marcoma

• clark4131

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:23 PM

They are now forever memorialized in the Performance Index under Common OEM Part Numbers. Well done...SC

• marcoma

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Just a quick follow up - I bodged a washer and o-ring together and tried the bike. Oh Momma - what a difference. No popping on decel and REALLY smooth on the bottom end......not as snappy on the uptake but I'm sure my valves are appreciating a correct fuel mixture ratio now. I have the 'real McCoys' on order with the dealer. Happy days!

• Seabass

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:29 PM

An '05 and later WR does not come with a fuel mixture screw. (I'm not sure about years prior) It was set up this way from the factory in order to meet ridiculous fuel emission standards. The dealer is not out to rip anyone off regarding this. But they will try to gouge you in just about any other way possible. I believe Honda CRFX owners face a somewhat similar problem- bikes that are jetted way too lean from the factory and bikes set up so the problem can't be fixed unless certain parts are modified or replaced. Get used to it and enjoy your green sticker.

• marcoma

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:53 PM

An '05 and later WR does not come with a fuel mixture screw. (I'm not sure about years prior) It was set up this way from the factory in order to meet ridiculous fuel emission standards. The dealer is not out to rip anyone off regarding this. But they will try to gauge you in just about any other way possible. I believe Honda CRFX owners face a somewhat similar problem- bikes that are jetted way too lean from the factory and bikes set up so the problem can't be fixed unless certain parts are modified or replaced. Get used to it and enjoy your green sticker.

Do you mean theres just an empty hole where the fuel screw lives? ....or is it blocked off?

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Actually the 05/06's have all the same hardware (screw, spring, washer & oring) but there's a plug covering them. Yank out the plug and it will be just like the earlier years setup.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marcoma

Posted December 10, 2006 - 10:04 PM

Ahhh - mine had the red fuel screw aftermarket goody fitted when I bought it so was unsure what 'stock' was. You learn something new every day!

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, it's called a tamper proof plug and is on the bottom of the bowl. You have to remove the bowl to knock it out. When you do this, order and install this http://ziptyracing.c...spx?id=MTUxNA== as it will make for easy adjusting on the fly, should you ride at different elevations.

• coffee

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thank you very much for the part #'s, those things are easy to loose. Or at least easy for me to loose.

• joehill

Posted December 12, 2006 - 11:24 AM

marcoma or someone else.
Do you have the size of the o-ring ie dimensions. i have also lost mine and my dealer here in Sweden says that the delivery time is between 2-3 weeks. so i would realy apreciate this info so i could go to my usual industrial part suplier an get one.

• Seabass

Posted December 12, 2006 - 02:49 PM

marcoma or someone else.
Do you have the size of the o-ring ie dimensions. i have also lost mine and my dealer here in Sweden says that the delivery time is between 2-3 weeks. so i would realy apreciate this info so i could go to my usual industrial part suplier an get one.

I couldn't tell you the actual size but the o-ring is nearly microscopic!! I've lost 'em twice but a dealer by my house was nice enough to give me the parts for free! Tha kid behind the counter didn't know what to charge so he put 'em in a bag and away I went. I never say no to free parts.

• drtbk4ever

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:48 PM

I couldn't tell you the actual size but the o-ring is nearly microscopic!! I've lost 'em twice but a dealer by my house was nice enough to give me the parts for free! Tha kid behind the counter didn't know what to charge so he put 'em in a bag and away I went. I never say no to free parts.

I don't know the size either, but they are darn small. When I changed out my stock screw for the Zip ty, I dropped both the o-ring and spring. Spent the next 15 minutes on my hands and knees in the garage trying to locate the little suckers. Eventually did find them.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 14, 2006 - 08:21 AM

Excellent information! Nice find too!:thumbsup:

• marcoma

Posted December 15, 2006 - 09:18 PM

marcoma or someone else.

I have the parts on order so I'll take some measurements when I pick them up tomorrow and I'll post them up here on this thread for you.

• marcoma

Posted December 16, 2006 - 11:21 PM

Okay Joehill - outside diameter of the o-ring is 5mm with a 1mm thickness. Hope that helps.

- Marcoma

• El Chinero

Posted December 19, 2006 - 12:46 PM

What is the assembly order for the
washer
O-ring
spring
??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.