Need help valve adjust woes

11 replies to this topic
  • Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 09, 2006 - 03:55 PM

So I popped apart everything to adjust my valves and when I went to take out the exhaust cam to change the shim the little clip near the chain popped off and went down where the chain is.

Wasn't very happy about this so I grabbed a flashlight and tried to look down there but couldn't see it so I grabbed one of those little extendable magnets to see if I could fish it out...the magnet part of it broke off and now thats down there also!

I'm wondering what my options are here, can I take off the stator cover and maybe see the pieces down in there? Do I need to split the case and take it all apart? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

• Wasabi

Posted December 09, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Mate, you can take off the stator cover to fish it out of the bottom.
Remember there is a bolt for the case under the starter motor cover. Take the starter motor cover off and pull the gear out to get to the bolt. Then once all bolts are out, you might have to use a screw driver to pry the cover off. Be careful of the gasket and there is 2 pins that line up the case, so you have to pull it off square.

No need to split cases, the internals are not interconnected where the cam chain is.

Make sure the clip is not still in the head, near the valve springs!

Good luck and watch out for the shims! Make sure you seat them correctly when re-installing them on top of the seat. The OEM shims, you have to really line them up square and push them down to seat them properly.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 09, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the advice wasabi, got the stator cover off but can't see the items, do I need to take off the big magnet to see behind it? Or is it possible the pieces havent fallen to the bottom?

• Wasabi

Posted December 09, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the advice wasabi, got the stator cover off but can't see the items, do I need to take off the big magnet to see behind it? Or is it possible the pieces havent fallen to the bottom?

You might have to tip the bike on the side a bit. As I said before, make sure the clip is not still in the head, near the valve springs! There is a bit of a cavity there that they can go into.

You don't have to pull the flywheel off, it is a pain if you dont have the right tools.

You better find that little magnet bit too, probably stuck to something! :D

Anyway, it's easy to pull the head and barrel off, only another 4 or 5 bolts.
This will give you plenty of room to see down there if you can't find them.

Have patience! Good luck. :worthy:

• dirtysouth

Posted December 09, 2006 - 11:56 PM

:worthy: Man I noticed you posted this yesterday and I had the same issue with the same cam clip. I don't know how that little dude got so far down there that a magnet wouldn't get it but it does it. I had to pull off the stator cover and man...its a bitch to get back on right...least it was for me. Just make sure that you go little bits at a time. Be careful...aluminum has three definate levels...loose, just right, then ooops turned out. Good luck. Mine just fell out when I got the cover off.

• byggd

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:02 AM

I know this is a bit late….kind of like closing the gate after the horse has bolted but maybe it will help others reading this thread while contemplating adjusting their valves. Check out this link and take note of illustrations number 8 & 9.
http://www.thumperfaq.com/valves.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted December 11, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Nice one byggd I like that one.
Dropping something down the cam chain well is like a right of passage. Everybody does it the key is to not panic.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I haven't had the time to work on it in the past couple days...and now my mind is wondering that it would be a good time to add a high comp piston or a big bore kit :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I haven't had the time to work on it in the past couple days...and now my mind is wondering that it would be a good time to add a high comp piston or a big bore kit :devil:

I think you are coming down with some kind of fever!:thumbsup:

• Wasabi

Posted December 12, 2006 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I haven't had the time to work on it in the past couple days...and now my mind is wondering that it would be a good time to add a high comp piston or a big bore kit :devil:

.....and some hotcams!........ :thumbsup:

• webercobra

Posted December 15, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Adjusting valves on a Yamaha? They go forever without touching them. These are solid motors, not the Honda throw aways.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Adjusting valves on a Yamaha? They go forever without touching them. These are solid motors, not the Honda throw aways.

Thats funny.

The manual suggests adjusting them after break in and every 1,000 miles or so...and 3 of the 5 were out of spec...2 were too tight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.