KX 65 seat height

17 replies to this topic
  • b1dude

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

Really struggling w/the idea of moving my youngest up from a really modified CRF 70 (110 motor, BBR susp etc) to the KX 65.

Seat height is my concern. For you other moto-parents out there....
1. The kawi web site lists the seat height at around 30 in.
2. W/o buying expensive linkage rods, how low have you been able to get the seat height on these bikes?

Thanks for any info....

Eric

• frankiewhipit

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

Like Most Bikes You Can Lower The Forks A Little, As For The Rear Kawi Makes Stamped Steel Suspension Rods At Different Lenghts To Raise Or Lower The Rear. To Answer Your Question As Far As Actual Height I Never Measured My Sons Bike, Also If You Buy An Older Model, Their Shorter

• Linco

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:58 AM

You can get a 2 inch lowering link from http://www.koubalink.com/KX65.html its around $65 and a good product. :thumbsup:

• KevinM-DRZ125

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:37 AM

There was a decent article in Mini Rider. Talked about that same issue. They said the KX65 was the lowest of the three 65's available (incl a used RM).

They also talked about restricting the engine performace. One cheap mod was putting a washer in the exhaust path. I think sandwiched between the header and the exhaust port on the head. I don't know if there are any ill effects on the engine caused by doing this. They didn't mention any. The author did this for his 7 yr old who was moving up from a trail bike.

They also talked about a Tokyo Mods kit that let you select various ignition maps.. some very tame... some hotter than stock. But this went for about $450.

My son (just turned 10) has been riding a CRF70, now with a 88cc TrailBikes Race Head kit. He's been racing it in the local pit bike series, but he wants to try some 65cc Motocross races this coming year. He's a little short for his age (53 inches) so he just barely touches the ground on the stock KX65. But I think that's fine. As far as the rider compartment, it fits him well.

He'll find his KX under the tree for Christmas this year. If after riding it, the power is a little much, we may try the "washer mod". Or just have him work his way into the stock setup. We'll see.

That Kouba kit sounds nice though for $65 or so. Do that.. then slide the forks up to keep it from steering like a chopper and you should be good to go Eric.

-Kevin

• Linco

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

My guy was on a XR70 until 9 years old when I put him on his 2005 KX65. I have 4 of the copper washers (stock copper dounuts) between the pipe and cyl. It helped smooth out the hit, all i needed to do was hog out the pipe mounts slightly with a drill bit. I also bought him the moose reed spacer (from the TT store). We are going harescramble racing next year. I will be going to a FMF pipe and silencer and maybe a flywheel weight.

I never did lower the bike at all for him. He needed help starting it for a while, but at 10 he is getting the hang of starting it pretty good.

• rpt50

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

You can buy the 88.3 mm links from the dealer to lower the seat height. Buy them from a Suzuki dealer (the rm65 and kx65 are the same bike) as they are cheaper. In fact, the Suzuki version of almost any part will be cheaper. You can also raise the forks about 27mm in the clamps, but check to make sure the wheel clears the fender. The bike will still be balanced. Finally, take the seat cover off and use a bread knife to slice away some foam. Be forewarned however, that you will likely need a pneumatic stapler to put the seat cover back on. That plastic seat base is tough! The seat mod is definitely worth doing, and you can shape it to help hold him in place under acceleration. They get used to the seat height and power real quick!

• texas929

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:58 AM

You can buy the 88.3 mm links from the dealer to lower the seat height. Buy them from a Suzuki dealer (the rm65 and kx65 are the same bike) as they are cheaper. In fact, the Suzuki version of almost any part will be cheaper. You can also raise the forks about 27mm in the clamps, but check to make sure the wheel clears the fender. The bike will still be balanced. Finally, take the seat cover off and use a bread knife to slice away some foam. Be forewarned however, that you will likely need a pneumatic stapler to put the seat cover back on. That plastic seat base is tough! The seat mod is definitely worth doing, and you can shape it to help hold him in place under acceleration. They get used to the seat height and power real quick!

Buy from Suzuki or Kawasaki, I believe the links run around $20. We have a 8 year old (Just turned ) who has to slide off the side. We will have his suspension set up professionally and lowered just to let him touch easier, but he can get everything going himself at stock height, just takes a little bit because he has to slide from side to side.

• ajd187

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

How tall is your son? My friend's kid is 4-11 and he flat foots that bike like it's nothing (a bit too big for it). but his friend is 4-7 and he can tip toe it.

These kids are 10 and 11 though so it's a bit easier for them.

• MattFisher

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

I bought my son a RM65 6 months ago, he just turned 8. He's 4' tall, and weighs 60# with all his gear on and a full tummy.

I raised the forks until they touched the bars, and completely backed off the preload on the shock. He can touch with one foot and the other just barely touches the footpeg. I was planning on shaving the seat down, but decided that he could just live with it. On MX tracks it's no big deal, but for trailriding it does suck- he can't restart the bike, and tips over frequently.

The problem with the links is they not only lower the bike, but also change the leverage ratio- puts more pressure on the shock and softens the rear end. Bottoming out over jumps can become an issue. I did install 2 step softer front springs, as the stock setup is unbalanced- too stiff in the front compared to the rear.

In many cases the Suzuki RM65 parts (identical bike) are cheaper than the KX65 ones. With the fork springs, I found that 03 RM springs were $40, KX springs were $80, and aftermarket ones are $100. If you want to go the pull rod/links route, look into the OEM ones- no bling, but just as functional as the high dollar billit aftermarket ones.

Btw- the 2000 and 2001 KX65's had a shorter frame and seat height by almost 2", though the early models were recalled and replaced or welded by Kawasaki due to insufficient frame strength.

• KevinM-DRZ125

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

I noticed that when we got my sons KX65 and I rode it myself, it over-steered quite a bit. Took a look at the fork height and they were up in the forks almost to the bar height. This is with the stock shock linkage. If I don't use lowering links, I'll need to slide the forks down. Not sure if this is the way it suppose dto be or the dealer or factory didn't set it up right.

Anyway, I may try the lowering links for him. he's 4'-6". Kouba says that sag needs to be adjusted as well. Stock is 3 to 3.25 inches of sage. They recommend 2.75 to 3.00 inches of sag with their link.

I'll also try the stainless of copper washer mod to lessen the hit. He's used to a 90 cc 4-stroke, so it may take a little time to get used to riding a 2 stroke.

• ToyMan

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

My son went from a crf50 that was modified with an 88cc kit to his kx65 in May of last year. He was barely 8 y/o & could not reach the ground . We shaved the seat & raised the fork tubes until they hit the handle bars. We also adjusted the rear shock. Recently we put the suspension back to its normal settings. I did not do anything to lessen the hit of the engine & he did fine. He seemed to know how much throttle he was ready for. Now I can't believe how he rides the bike. I can always hear that thing in the powerband. It used to seem like he was always lugging it before. Kids adapt way faster then we do.

Just a side note on how quickly they adjust to their new bikes. I was out in the desert with him over Thanksgiving. This was his first time back on the bike since he broke his arm at the motocross track. He found a bush that he was practicing his turns around. I watched him do this for hours. I finally thought that I would show him how it was done. I tried to follow him through the turn & he was faster than me. I figured that he just had more practice than me so I tried it a few more times. I finally stalled in the turn & fell into the bush. I had to quickly get up & look around to make sure that nobody saw me. I consider myself a decent rider that got schooled by his 8 y/o son. Its bad enough that my 16 y/o recently surpassed but now my 8 y/o. :lol:

• KevinM-DRZ125

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

LOL.. great story Toyman. I know the feeling. I've been passed by a few smaller bikes.

I'll give him some time on the bike without the restriction and we'll see how he does. But I'll definitely need to lower it a bit. I think that will help his confidence. Thanks for that post.

• Dakota Kid

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

As far as the Suspension rods go. Can you tell me if a person should go shorter on the rod to lower the seat or longer on the rod? Also, Does anyone know what sizes are available?

• Treesmacker

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:08 PM

The Devol lowering links are 3.750 between hole centers. I don't remember
how much it lower the seat.
Good Luck!

• JBFL

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:45 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned as stated earlier these kids adapt very quickly. We Dad's sometimes make more out of it than we should. My little guy is 4'2 62lbs he's been racing his KX65 for over a year now and has even started racing a KX85. He's learned to find a pile of dirt or tire he can run up to and stop and restart the bike. In the woods they should be able to spot something similiar.

He's not afraid to mix it up on his 85 either!
Posted Image

• minibikedad

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

The 2000-2002 KX65 are the shortest in seat height. I think it's 27", but you can google that year and subsequent years and compare the specs on it.

• frankiewhipit

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

As far as the Suspension rods go. Can you tell me if a person should go shorter on the rod to lower the seat or longer on the rod? Also, Does anyone know what sizes are available?

The shorter the rod legnth, the higher the bike sits. I think 85.3mm is the shortest & 88.3 is the longest available from the dealer

• Thaulass

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

it's the same as a klx 110

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 kx250 hard to kick? by Austesus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

proper break in for kx250 top end rebuild by theiceman97

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

KX250 Top End by Steffen

• 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.