Designing the ultimate engine! Help me!

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:50 PM

I would like to create the ultimate mod for my xr650l. A new Heart!! I have an extra complete 650l motor, and an extra complete lower end/trans from a 600r. I am going to transplant the trans/kickstart into the 650l, but while im there(the mechanic that is) I would like to mod the engine, bore, cam what have you. I would like your advice on what parts to use. I would like to use pump gas, not racing fuel. I am also looking for a shop near So Cal /San Diego to help me in this venture. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. It would also be nice to document what is being done so that others can have an easier time doing the ultimate mod!!!:worthy: :D :prof: :bonk:

• cbaranski

Posted December 09, 2006 - 05:02 AM

Sounds like that will be a cool combo.

• perry5150

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:40 PM

keep Me Posted Man I Want Some More Power Outta My 650l Also

• Wheels up

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:08 AM

I would like to create the ultimate mod for my xr650l. A new Heart!! I have an extra complete 650l motor, and an extra complete lower end/trans from a 600r. I am going to transplant the trans/kickstart into the 650l, but while im there(the mechanic that is) I would like to mod the engine, bore, cam what have you. I would like your advice on what parts to use. I would like to use pump gas, not racing fuel. I am also looking for a shop near So Cal /San Diego to help me in this venture. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. It would also be nice to document what is being done so that others can have an easier time doing the ultimate mod!!!:worthy: :D :prof: :bonk:

WEBCAM camshaft (213/202 grind). Hard welded rockers. 102 MM Wiseco piston. Carillo connecting rod. Barnett clutch pack with stiff springs. Keihin 41MM FCR carb. Custom airbox. Good valves and valve springs. Full exhaust.

Have someone port and polish your cylinder head.

This combo would have a little hotter running temp but if you wanted a beast you would have one.

• simon@vic

Posted December 10, 2006 - 09:41 AM

im assuiming your ditching the starter and batterie too right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted December 10, 2006 - 11:10 AM

im assuiming your ditching the starter and batterie too right?

Would that not just be a 600r? I have a complete 600r engine as well as the650l! I like my L and would rather modify it than mod the r with electric start. Changing the L should be mechanical, while changing the r would require a bunch of electrical garb that I really dont want to mess with!

• wheelnut46

Posted December 10, 2006 - 03:20 PM

I'm assuming your ditching the starter and battery too right?

Why not have them both? That would be the best.

Adding a 6th gear would be the ultimate.

• rebelventurer

Posted December 10, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Try to contact TT member rideaide, or email at rideaide@hotmail.com for shop I am assuming mechanical and machine work is what you are looking for.
I hear the HRC camshaft, stainless valves with the kibblewhite springs, forged rockers, new camchain, followers, tensioner, etc... work welll and if you port leave the intake side alone and just clean up the exhaust side. Also try the JE piston in a low compression version 10 to 1 up to 102.4 mm with stock rod and bottom end.

• Jon-D

Posted December 10, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Travis 37 (TT member) has a shop in Pasadena and does this type of work. He has a ton of experience doing engine modifications and really loves the jobs where he gets to do something that requires a little more out of the box thinking. He made some modifications to the motor in my KTM and that thing really hauls the mail compared to the stocker.

• simon@vic

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:42 AM

injection, 70hp, 1/2 the weight of a 600/650l engine!

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.