New chain prep before install

8 replies to this topic
  • WR250F_Pilot

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:51 AM

I just got a new Regina O-ring chain for my '06 YZ450. It seems very stiff and its covered with an extremely sticky goo. What are you guys doing to the chain before you install it? Also, can I use regular waterproof gease on the master link pins?

Thanks

• SUnruh

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:59 AM

coating the pins with a moly based dry film before adding any grease would be best.
i always just use the white goop that comes with the did-x ring.

• Reyndogg

Posted December 08, 2006 - 12:19 PM

Same here.

IIRC you're supposed to clean all that sticky crap that comes on new chains off then lube it before riding as well.

• Bigcr

Posted December 08, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Use the supplied lube on the masterlink o-rings, and just wipe the rest of the chain off really well with a rag. The lube that comes with the chain is very good; just messy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2006 - 02:07 PM

coating the pins with a moly based dry film before adding any grease would be best.

That's it right there. Use a dry moly lube as a pre-treatment, then the lube that comes with it. Be sure the 4 rings that go into the assembled master link get a little lube, too.

The sticky lube/preservative on the outside should be removed before riding to keep it from gathering dirt (stuff's nasty, isn't it?). Wipe the assembled chain down with mineral spirits and let it dry, then lube it with a low tack chain lube such as Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard at least 4 hours before riding so it has time to "set". Don't use their spray chain wax. You won't like it.

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 08, 2006 - 03:44 PM

You can use kerosene or paint thinner (mineral spirits) to wipe all the factory gunk off there first. Just don't use gasoline because it is bad for the o-rings. I imagine acetone would not be so great either because it has adverse effects on rubber as well. Kerosene is a lot milder, and you should have some handy anyway because that is a far better solvent for cleaning air filters, too. Gasoline will destroy the gaskets and break down the filter material faster than anything. It sure works quickly, but there is a price to pay. But keep in mind that a new air filter will cost you half what a new o-ring chain will cost, and once you compromise the integrity of the o-rings, and dirt gets inside them, your chain will go downhill very quickly, so it's best to avoid gasoline there. But clean the chain well because that factory grease will attract dirt like a magnet. Don't use a wire brush ever on it, use a bristle brush if you have to. And it's not easy to get the master link on with the Regina's - you have to compress the o-rings pretty hard to get the clip to go on. I used a c-clamp and a nut to clear the pin, but it was a PITA. Don't forget to put all four o-rings on the master - mine came with two extras, so if you end up with extras, it isn't because you forgot to use them.

• WR250F_Pilot

Posted December 09, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thanks guys. Chain cleaned and installed. The C-Clamp and nut homemade chain press works great. The clip was still a pain-in-the-a$$ to get on the pins. Does anybody use those masterlink clip pliers, do they make it easier?

Thanks again

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 09, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Thanks guys. Chain cleaned and installed. The C-Clamp and nut homemade chain press works great. The clip was still a pain-in-the-a$$ to get on the pins. Does anybody use those masterlink clip pliers, do they make it easier?

Thanks again

I don't know, a good pair of needle-nose pliers always worked in the past, but I almost considered buying some of those pliers when I was trying to get the Regina masterclip on. Of course, i was out in the desert, with my bike all done except for the masterlink clip, so at that point, it's like, either i get this on and go riding, or I put it all away and not ride until next weekend. :worthy: As you can imagine, i got the damn thing on and went riding. :prof: But it wasn't easy.... :D

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2006 - 02:43 PM

The clip was still a pain-in-the-a$$ to get on the pins. Does anybody use those masterlink clip pliers, do they make it easier?

I have some old pliers made for a special application on an older GM car that I modified for the job, and they make it simpler. I have used "real" master link clip pliers, though, and it's like any other job; nothing makes it as easy as the right tools.

Always be absolutely sure that the clip groove is clear enough to let the clip seat in it correctly.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.