Why not a YZ-F???

28 replies to this topic
  • Wasabi

Posted December 10, 2006 - 06:03 PM

a wr can do 105? is this mph stock? mine has all kinds of mods and still will top out at 143km/h (was only 101km/h stock)

105mph stock..... NO WAY!!!!! :worthy:
I don't even get that with my bike now.....

• MountainMax

Posted December 11, 2006 - 03:51 AM

That's what I said, you can't go by those dam speed/ratio calculators, real time is very different. and without 6'th gear (not made yet) or super high gearing there is NO WAY it will do over 100 mph

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:59 AM

Before I ask my question, let it be known that I'm not downing the WR or the people that own it...

I have an 04 YZ450F that I use only for woods/trails,,,no track time on this bike. I've recently been thinking of buying an 07 and have researched the WR450.

I cant understand why you would buy a WR over the YZ. Its $200-$300 more than the YZ and every person that buys a WR spends hours and more money making it run like a YZF. After all the modifications, the only difference I see is a headlight and E starter (most take the E-start off if using the bike for racing purposes from what I've read). And if noise is the reason,,,why not just spend $200 and buy a FMFQ (or similar product).

Like I said earlier, not tryin to be an a$$. I just cant understand the benefit of a WR. Then again, I've never been on a WR so maybe its just a total different bike than the YZ,,,but from the looks and specs, I really doubt it.

The WR is a little less then 30 pounds heavier, but under 250. Not to heavy but not as light.

In California, it is a GREEN sticker bike, so no riding restrictions or seasons to worry about.

18 inch rear wheel as opposed to 19 inch. That equates to more tire sidewall on the WR to handle the off track bumps and such that might dent a rim on the YZ.

Suspension is set up softer. Better for the trail. If your jumping the bike, you might want to stiffen it up.

Wide ratio transmission. First is a little shorter, and fifth is a little taller. Again, better for desert and trail riding.
YZ Gear Ratio --------------------- WR Gear Ratio
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 27/14 (1.929) Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 29/12 (2.417) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 23/15 (1.533) Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 26/15 (1.733) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 23/18 (1.278) Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 21/16 (1.313) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 24/22 (1.091) Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 21/20 (1.050) Taller - Faster

Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 20/21 (0.952) Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 21/25 (0.840) Taller - Faster

Electrics: Lights and starter. At first, I was a little bit turned off by them. Not cool. Now, I am thankful for all of it.

Coolant recovery tank. When the YZ gets hot, the coolant spills overboard. Now your a little low on coolant. When the WR gets hot, it runs into the coolant recovery tank. As it cools, it gets sucked back into the radiator. If I bought a YZ, I would probably find a way to install this.

I am also told that the flywheel is a little heavier on the WR. I think that would help with torque as well.

Now granted, if you buy this bike having ridden a YZ, you will probably be disappointed. I was very disappointed. But a $40 AIS Removal kit from Yamaha gave me a whole new outlook on this bike. I am told that with this kit installed, it is almost a YZ. Only difference is the gear ratios, and I am told the exhaust cam timing of the YZ is retarded one gear on the cam. I think though that the timing of the WR provides a little wider torque band which is more appropriate for the WR style of riding.

• webercobra

Posted December 11, 2006 - 09:27 AM

The WR is a little less then 30 pounds heavier, but under 250. Not to heavy but not as light.

In California, it is a GREEN sticker bike, so no riding restrictions or seasons to worry about.

18 inch rear wheel as opposed to 19 inch. That equates to more tire sidewall on the WR to handle the off track bumps and such that might dent a rim on the YZ.

Suspension is set up softer. Better for the trail. If your jumping the bike, you might want to stiffen it up.

Wide ratio transmission. First is a little shorter, and fifth is a little taller. Again, better for desert and trail riding.
YZ Gear Ratio --------------------- WR Gear Ratio
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 27/14 (1.929) Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 29/12 (2.417) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 23/15 (1.533) Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 26/15 (1.733) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 23/18 (1.278) Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 21/16 (1.313) Shorter - Slower

Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 24/22 (1.091) Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 21/20 (1.050) Taller - Faster

Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 20/21 (0.952) Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 21/25 (0.840) Taller - Faster

Electrics: Lights and starter. At first, I was a little bit turned off by them. Not cool. Now, I am thankful for all of it.

Coolant recovery tank. When the YZ gets hot, the coolant spills overboard. Now your a little low on coolant. When the WR gets hot, it runs into the coolant recovery tank. As it cools, it gets sucked back into the radiator. If I bought a YZ, I would probably find a way to install this.

I am also told that the flywheel is a little heavier on the WR. I think that would help with torque as well.

Now granted, if you buy this bike having ridden a YZ, you will probably be disappointed. I was very disappointed. But a $40 AIS Removal kit from Yamaha gave me a whole new outlook on this bike. I am told that with this kit installed, it is almost a YZ. Only difference is the gear ratios, and I am told the exhaust cam timing of the YZ is retarded one gear on the cam. I think though that the timing of the WR provides a little wider torque band which is more appropriate for the WR style of riding.

In your last paragraph you say"Now granted, if you buy this bike having ridden a YZ, you will probably be disappointed. I was very disappointed. But a $40 AIS Removal kit from Yamaha gave me a whole new outlook on this bike. I am told that with this kit installed, it is almost a YZ. ":excuseme:

The AIS system has nothing to do with performance. It takes air from the air box and forces it into the exhaust to help burn the unburned fuel. California "green thing"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 10:24 AM

I understand that. What comes with the kit is instructions to remove the AIS. A new needle jet, a new (very important) throttle stop, a new pilot jet #48, instructions to remove the Gray wire. Instructions to open both the air box and muffler. I left the airbox alone and replaced the muffler with an FMF Q4.

• MountainMax

Posted December 11, 2006 - 01:59 PM

Webercobra, be careful what you say, because you are Wrong, the ais removal kit from yamaha includes a shorter throttle screw and info on the grey wire and air box mods, and jetting, along with the actual removal of the air kit (which just makes the bike run leaner). So it DOES make a big difference !!!!!!!!!

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:49 PM

You know what WR stands for?:thumbsup:

It stands for WRONG RIDE, stay with the YZ.

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 02:59 PM

It stands for WRONG RIDE, stay with the YZ.

Wrong ride for you buzz and I respect that. I am happy with the kitted WR.

• webercobra

Posted December 11, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Webercobra, be careful what you say, because you are Wrong, the ais removal kit from yamaha includes a shorter throttle screw and info on the grey wire and air box mods, and jetting, along with the actual removal of the air kit (which just makes the bike run leaner). So it DOES make a big difference !!!!!!!!!

I stand corrected, but the removal of just the air injection pump and blocking off the exhaust does nothing regarding jetting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.