Why not a YZ-F???

28 replies to this topic
  • JoeWV

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Before I ask my question, let it be known that I'm not downing the WR or the people that own it...

I have an 04 YZ450F that I use only for woods/trails,,,no track time on this bike. I've recently been thinking of buying an 07 and have researched the WR450.

I cant understand why you would buy a WR over the YZ. Its $200-$300 more than the YZ and every person that buys a WR spends hours and more money making it run like a YZF. After all the modifications, the only difference I see is a headlight and E starter (most take the E-start off if using the bike for racing purposes from what I've read). And if noise is the reason,,,why not just spend $200 and buy a FMFQ (or similar product).

Like I said earlier, not tryin to be an a$$. I just cant understand the benefit of a WR. Then again, I've never been on a WR so maybe its just a total different bike than the YZ,,,but from the looks and specs, I really doubt it.

• WGP

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:25 AM

You know what WR stands for?:worthy:

• JoeWV

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Sorry, I don't. Just thought it was another odd name they gave it to classify it.

• velosapiens

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:40 AM

i think only a few kooks take off the e-start. those people would be better off buying yzf's. both bikes are popular for dezert racing in nevada, and i know of no one who removes the e-start.

wr stands for 'wide-ratio'. the tranny gears are different.

it seems to me the average guy who buys a wr wants the e-start, headlight, kickstand, different gearing, and 18" rear wheel (and green sticker in calif). it's easier to spend 2 hrs uncorking the wr (and still have a quiet enduro-legal bike) than to spend $1000+ to optimize a yzf for offroad.

having said that, if i were getting one for racing, i'd go with the yzf, suspension revalve and auto-clutch (for stall resistance only). for trailriding, definitely the wr.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:44 AM

i think only a few kooks take off the e-start. those people would be better off buying yzf's. both bikes are popular for dezert racing in nevada, and i know of no one who removes the e-start.

wr stands for 'wide-ratio'. the tranny gears are different.

it seems to me the average guy who buys a wr wants the e-start, headlight, kickstand, different gearing, and 18" rear wheel (and green sticker in calif). it's easier to spend 2 hrs uncorking the wr (and still have a quiet enduro-legal bike) than to spend $1000+ to optimize a yzf for offroad.

having said that, if i were getting one for racing, i'd go with the yzf, suspension revalve and auto-clutch (for stall resistance only). for trailriding, definitely the wr.

yip, i have a yz426 and kick myself in the ass everytime i see my brother on his wr. his is trail ready while i'm still saving for a rekluse:banghead:

• JoeWV

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Ahhh,,,wide ratio. I see now. Guess I just need to ride one huh.

• WGP

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:44 AM

I race the snot out of mine.....the WR is a heavy bike.....but in the West..the wide open west...it works great....and I would never never never take off my e-start. I think the people that do, do so because they don't work right due to wrong jetting and or valves not adjusted. In racing the e-start is huge advantage, not on the start, but when you crash you don't waste energy kicking a flooded bike.
So Yes..
E-start
WR Tranny

• notime

Posted December 08, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Funny- I've always wondered why anyone (who's not a serious racer or putting in a lot of track time) would buy a motocross bike and then spend the money for a spark arrestor, rekluse, flywheel weight, lighting coil, armor, etc, instead of just getting a WR.

• 99yz125

Posted December 08, 2006 - 02:41 PM

i havnt spent more then 200 on yz250f to make it trails legal. and i do pretty good with it. i came in 3rd last race. but i am getting the 07wr450f soon

• MountainMax

Posted December 08, 2006 - 07:33 PM

It's also WAY easier to get a WR plated then a YZ, and alot of people buy them to get an AWESOME Dual Purpose bike like I did!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 08, 2006 - 09:37 PM

The WR suspension is already valved for off road applications, you would need to spend at least $400 to get your yfz re-vavled to work well for trail riding. And haveing the wide ratio tranny is great for crusin' fire roads.

Otherwise yamaha wouldn't have bothered designing and completly different bike, they would have just included a head light kit for the yfz.

• Birdy426

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Because I'm fat, old, and slow...
As others have stated, the wide ratio trans and more off road specific suspension settings suit my riding style (or lack of it!) better. I rode both the YZF and WR before I bought, and while I loved the mid range hit of the YZF, the plushness of the WR and the better gear spread (for the desert) won me over. A couple hundred dollars for an autodecompression YZ cam and a stock YZF pipe, PMB Spark Arrestor, and the rest of the free mods, and I have the best of both worlds.

• MountainMax

Posted December 09, 2006 - 10:09 AM

IMHO to make a perfect Wide Ratio bike they should have put in 6'the Gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bboyce

Posted December 09, 2006 - 10:10 AM

The WR people who want more power out of their WR can do so very easily and cheap. But when they do this, its not to make it more YZ like persay..its to get more power out of the trail bike. It still has its own cam for low end power, and a FWW to keep it from stalling. I ride an 06 YZ, and right now in my garage is my uncles 05 WR450, and he rides almost all trail and doesnt go out and moto the trails like I do. I can see why alot of people want that bike, infact I kinda want it. I can see getting the WR and doing the free mods and re-valving the suspension for racing rather than spend 800 on a Baja kit for the YZ. I however am one who rides alot of SX, MX and rides all out on the trails and will not do well with a heavier bike.
The WR has its purpose, the YZ goes 86 and the WR 105...that makes it nice to cruise along it 5th doing 55 at half throttle rather than revving it out on the YZ.
My .02

• MountainMax

Posted December 09, 2006 - 10:56 AM

a wr can do 105? is this mph stock? mine has all kinds of mods and still will top out at 143km/h (was only 101km/h stock)

• bboyce

Posted December 09, 2006 - 11:36 AM

143KPH, thats just about 90MPH. 104 (sorry I said 105) is at max RPM, so the bike may not be able to pull it, but with mods, it will do 104 MPH with stock gearing. Now my YZ450 will pull hard all the way to 86, but that has a bit more power...hmm are you sure it only goes 90?
look at this : http://www.osmw.com/...50F_gearing.JPG

• baha

Posted December 09, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Because I'm fat, old, and slow...
As others have stated, the wide ratio trans and more off road specific suspension settings suit my riding style (or lack of it!) better. I rode both the YZF and WR before I bought, and while I loved the mid range hit of the YZF, the plushness of the WR and the better gear spread (for the desert) won me over. A couple hundred dollars for an autodecompression YZ cam and a stock YZF pipe, PMB Spark Arrestor, and the rest of the free mods, and I have the best of both worlds.

Oh thats me!!

Desert is a WR paradise :worthy:

I ride woods and I bet you do too!

YZ 250 NO F, KTM 300. Look at both of these, Put a flywheel weight on a YZ250 and then a FMF Q sparky and you are set:thumbsup:

• Wasabi

Posted December 09, 2006 - 06:35 PM

There is only one reason I got a WR over a YZ and that is simply road registration.

If I could register a YZ over here in Australia, I would have brought one over the WR for sure. :worthy:

• fish525

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:58 PM

well I got both a 05WR and a 07 YZ and the YZ is set up for desert racing and dam can you feel the deference the wr is a tank nothing stops it but the yz is so dam nimble in the tight stuff the buttont is a trade off of the weight as far as top end there about the same

and thats my 2$:worthy:

• dirty jim

Posted December 10, 2006 - 05:52 PM

143KPH, thats just about 90MPH. 104 (sorry I said 105) is at max RPM, so the bike may not be able to pull it, but with mods, it will do 104 MPH with stock gearing. Now my YZ450 will pull hard all the way to 86, but that has a bit more power...hmm are you sure it only goes 90?
look at this : http://www.osmw.com/...50F_gearing.JPG

I have an 03 with a 5 speed, when did they make a 6 speed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.