Considering a KDX220

38 replies to this topic
  • Steve Sims

Posted 07 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I am looking at a 2004 KDX220. I want a bike that has a lot of grunt because I like to lug around on trails and chug up and down hills. I currently have a DRZ400, but would like a lighter bike that that is a little more nimble, but still tollerant of slow trail riding. I would appreciate any thoughts on the KDX. I'm about 6'1" and 200#'s. Novice rider.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteveWR450F

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:15 PM

That is the perfect bike. Its make plenty of 4 stroke low down grunt. I have a WR450 and 04 KDX 220. The KDX does not have as much as low down hill climbing ability but the bike does everything else better. Also, after riding the KDX for a few hours I am not nearly as fatigued as the bigger bike. Go to KDX.net or FRP.com. A lot of good info available about modding the KDX to make it scream.

• vinilla gorilla

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

KDX sounds just like what you want. Great bike
I love mine

• awoodman

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:39 PM

Ive got the kdx200 and i put on a rev pipe, so its bottom isnt very good, but i just sent the carb to rb designs, so i should have some good low end after that...I didnt really lose and bottom end from putting the pipe on. But i heard the 220's are great for technical trails.

• rkjaco

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

Steve, I went from a DRZ400S to a KDX220 for the very same reason and love it. It also happens to be a 2004.
It lugs very very well on trails without even fanning the clutch and you can't beat the price. You should be able to pick up a brand new leftover for $3500 and under if you can find one.
I find even stock for now that the bike does very well for my weight and height. 5' 11" about 190 lbs. In fact, I might not ever get a pipe for it, well see! Only took off the snorkel for nowl
KDX's are very realiable and last along time. My bro had a 220 and rode it hard almost every weekend in Moab Utah for about 4 years without one problem. If you know what people do in Moab you will know what Im talking about.
I do think that anybody over 200lbs is pushing it with the bike in my opinion. The bike kicks ass in the lower gears but falls real flat in the latter so I was dissapointed in that at first coming from the DRZ but IM not into open area/desert type riding so it all good.
Id say go for it.

• Steve Sims

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have only ridden one briefly, so I don't have a lot to go on. I did ride a KX250 for several hours one day and it was just too wirey for me. To much abrupt power and just not very tollerant of lugging around. It wanted to stall a lot and I was probably on the verge of fouling the plug. Do you think this will not be a problem with the KDX?

• Venom 1000TT

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

Keeping in mind, it is a 2-stroke so you've gotta "clear the pipe" every so often to keep it from getting boggy....(Which all you have to do is pull in the clutch and rev it real quick),

But this bike was made to lug around at slow speeds and shoot out of them with great torque. My 200 pulls me very well, accels out of tight areas and still has the top end to scream around on (Probably not as much top-end as your DRZ but hey)

Its a phonomenal trail bike in my opinion, get them while you can since production has haulted. (Aftermarket and OEM parts have not, and I dont see them doin that any time soon, so fear not)

I wouldn't ever get rid of mine....Once you go 2-stroke you never go back :worthy: :D

• Old_Man_Time

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have only ridden one briefly, so I don't have a lot to go on. I did ride a KX250 for several hours one day and it was just too wirey for me. To much abrupt power and just not very tollerant of lugging around. It wanted to stall a lot and I was probably on the verge of fouling the plug. Do you think this will not be a problem with the KDX?

No! The KDX is designed for trail riding and the KX is not. The KX can be turned into a nice trail bike if your willing to throw money at it in the right places. There are times when I just love my 2 strokes but there are also times when a 4 stroke makes it so much easier. I am not prejudice against either kind of dirt bike. Just ride and enjoy.

• alistair

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:21 PM

i have a 200 and im 100 kilos(around 220 pounds i think) without gear im 6'4 dads heaveir than me again, at around 110kilos(240pounds?) dad went one tooth lower in the front sprocket . we also have procircuit platnuim 2 pipe really wakes them up..

• foots

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:45 AM

Steve it sounds like the 220 is what you need. After almost putting myself in a early grave trying my DRZ440 in hare scrambles I had to find something lighter and more nimble. Hence a leftover 03 220 for me. Don't get caught up in the "bigger is better" BS. You can only go so fast in the woods anyway. It's going fast longer that matters. At least in racing H.S.

• Steve Sims

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

Those are the kind of comments I was hoping to hear. I really appreciate it. It sure is nice being able to interchange the lawn mower gas with my current 4-stroke, but a new $5 gas can and a little mixing effort is not a big deal. I am really looking forward to trying that KDX out. It's supposed to be a really clean '04 for $2500, so I don't think it's a steal, but I think it's an okay deal.

• Yamajeb

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

Keeping in mind, it is a 2-stroke so you've gotta "clear the pipe" every so often to keep it from getting boggy . . .

That's NOT true if you're jetted correctly. Plug fouling is about improper jetting.

• KDXer

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

I have never fouled a plug in my KDX in the 4 years I have owned.

• SPUTTER

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

If you start pushing a KDX around and you are 5'10 or more, it's gonna feel pretty small. Great bike, I own one now, but it is not at it's best with big fellas - I'm 5'10 and the ergos are smallish compared to any other bike I've owned.
BTW, you WILL need to put heavier fork springs in to avoid tucking the front end and falling in front of huge crowds of onlookers . Contact fredette racing.

Also, you can reverse the bar clamps to move the bars forward a tad for more pilot room.

• KDXer

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

Installing high-bend bars with oversize bar adapters makes all the difference in the world for ergos. My new setup works really well, I am 5'10".
Here is my setup:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=441696

• Venom 1000TT

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

That's NOT true if you're jetted correctly. Plug fouling is about improper jetting.

Its never actually fouled for me though :worthy:

It just gets boggy if i dont clear it out every so often.

Im sure your right though, I dont have the jetting to spec yet, and am still messing with it.

• Tusk_

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

I'll throw a comment to the "for" column as well.

My son (14yr old, 6 foot and 195 pounds) throws around a KLX400 whilst I (the old man) enjoy the KDX220! My son wanted the 400 and loves just sitting in one spot on the seat and plowing through everything. No hurry, no desire to go faster. He's strong and young and has no problems.
Me? The lightness, excellent power and gearing (previous owner put a one tooth smaller front sprocket on) are wonderful on the KDX.
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is suspension tuning! Once the shock and forks are dialed in, you'll be in heaven (well till you pry open the wallet for upgrades!). Check with the current owner (and size him/her up) on what settings he/she has.
My previous owner had the forks wacked! One leg was clicked all the in and the other was about 8 out!! I put both at 12 out, cut back some preload in the rear and loving life.
Good Luck!

• SPUTTER

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

Installing high-bend bars with oversize bar adapters makes all the difference in the world for ergos. My new setup works really well, I am 5'10".
Here is my setup:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=441696

Looks very good...I'm in the process of installing 03 KX500 USD's on mine right now and have the TAG bar adapters on the TC. What bend did you go with?

• krazyinski

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:55 AM

The KDX is a long lasting great bike for trail riders from beginner on up 2 out of 2 kdx's finished the 6 day ISDE this year thats 100 %. for the starting price you cant beat the deal. I have a 2000 KDX 220 with all the engine work done by Fredette Racing. plated,ported cylinder, head milled, carb bored to 36mm, fmf woods pipe, turbine core 2 silencer, 13/49 gearing, 98 KX front forks, 2003 showa RM 125 rear shock shortened 1" suspension is valved and sprung for my conditions and wieght, gutts racing tall,hard seat foam, 1 1/8 CR high mini bars, KX foot pegs.

The engine work makes the 220 have a broader power band with out loosing low end torque. with the corect jetting it does not fall flat on top. 2nd and 3rd gear roll on power is always there.

The suspension work lets the KDX go faster with more control for roots rocks big high speed whoops. I spent more on springing and valving the oem forks than I did on the KX set up. the oem forks are just ok but if the flex dont get you the under hang will.

the tall seat foam and bars puts
the geometry in perspective, makes moving or wieght distribution easy and improves the comfort level.

after selling used parts (oem shock &forks) I have 3800 in the bike and would not trade or sell for any thing orange.

I have a friend that sold his KDX and got a KX spend a year and a load of cash tunning the KX to run and handle in the tight like the KDX.

• SPUTTER

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

Yep.
My last KDX, a 97 220, was ridden hard for 6 years. I always felt with a few mods it would be the best out there for tighter trails. At that time I went through the stock suspension too, with spring rate changes and gold valves. Still the fork downtubes would bust my balls way too often, and the flex at higher speed landings could get scary. Since then I've had a WR426, a YZ250F, and a CRF250X.
Well, I got sick of the 4strk weight and the hot header pipes in the brush (scary stuff fire-wise) so I just bought another 220. This time I'm doing like you did, and upgrading the suspension - hop-ups are later....
I think it will be the best of all worlds for my riding places.:worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

91 kx250 reed cage compatibility by brewsntattoos

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

proper break in for kx250 top end rebuild by theiceman97

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

KX250 Top End by Steffen

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I to small for a 125 or 250 by MostWanted117

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 21 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.