'07 CAM cover?

5 replies to this topic
  • Dr.Crankenstien

Posted December 07, 2006 - 05:38 AM

Just picked up a '07 yz450 last night :worthy: And was looking @ how close the cam cover sit's to the underneath the spars on the frame.
Does this cover clear when trying to take off (i.e. checking valves,cam,camchain)or do you need to pull the whole motor:crazy: ?Also getting to the cover hex bolts.Does everything open up(easy to get to) once I take the tank and shrouds off.
I havent do anything yet I was just noticing how compact it is up there

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 08:47 AM

The cover does clear. Removing the top engine mounts opens things up a lot.

• tmauto69

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, it is tight in there, also the hotstart cable seems to always be in my way when checking valves

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:39 PM

If you find yourself pushing the hot start cable around much, it's probably wise to remove it from the carb. The plastic nut is easily damaged.

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:17 AM

yes I've noticed all the same things - it's a tight fit and the cable does get in the way.

Question: I'm reading the manual and it says to check the valves after 5 rides... so I did and sure enough the one is tight and needs adjustment... Anyone else notice this?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Not on mine, but it isn't unusual to find one or two that settled in a little bit. Reshim it and check it again to see if it's done moving. Once it stops settling, it should hold clearance at the same dimension for a very long time.

Also, you should know that Yamaha normally builds the engine with the valves set to the lower limit of the tolerance, that the difference between .10mm and .15mm is less than .002". Finding a brand new engine with a valve .02 or .03 tight is no big deal unless it won't stop tightening up.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.