how to run a mega bomb header w/ a desert ims dessert tank

14 replies to this topic
  • KEVIN BROWN

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:40 PM

well, my problem is the header pipe is to close to my tank. does anyone have any ideas to get some separation between the two?..

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:53 PM

Get some of that adhesive heat shield for your tank - that'll prevent it from melting, and keep your gas from boiling.

• kylwk1500

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:30 AM

ya i think that is about all you could try. Those desert tanks are pretty big. Or switch out your megabomb for a powerbomb. I know someone would want to trade or purchase it through this forum.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 07, 2006 - 03:07 PM

wrap it with 2" header wrap. You have to wet the stuff so it conforms and use a 50% overlay, but it wont be passing heat afterwards. DEI makes it, and you can get it from any speed shop for cars. Be sure to use the stainless steel zip ties to hold it in place.

• Jaycycle

Posted December 07, 2006 - 03:10 PM

How close is it?

• Kyle Prior

Posted December 07, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, just get some black heat wrap for the header. Itll protect your tank, keep your gas from boiling, and wont even burn you if you accidentally touch it. I think the black stuff looks cool too.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:38 PM

I'm going to guess here that you have a pre-'06 model, since the IMS for the '06 doesn't drop down that far. A Megabomb on an '03-'05 would be way too close to an IMS for that model.

You have two choices: switch to a Clarke 2.8 gallon tank, or change the header.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle Prior

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Id change the header, not a big fan of Clarke tanks...

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:11 PM

How close is it?

Yes, that is the important question. How much space are we talking? Because that will dictate your choices. You may not have to change from your mega bomb if you wrap it in header wrap, and if you don't want to do that you could always do as I suggest and put the heat shielding tape on your IMS. I personally think the stuff looks cool, and you can get it in either gold or silver. It looks like space tape, which is funny because it was developed for the space program as a heat shielding device. But it's relatively cheap, it will conform to the tank easily, you may just have to slit it a bit to wrap around curves, and it isn't thick - I think it's no more than 3/16" thick, so I'm sure it would fit in there. You may even have room for both. And it is actually a concern, desert riding, that your fuel can get heated up enough by proximity to your pipe that it will begin to vaporize, and it tends to not be well handled by the carb when it is no longer fluid but actually in more of a gaseous state. Not to mention that when pressurized, gasoline vapor and gasoline itself become much more flammable and prone to explosion. Although your vent tube would most likely prevent too much pressure from building up. I was wondering though, what exactly a "dessert" tank is? Does it carry a cake or pie as well as extra fuel? ;^)

• KEVIN BROWN

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:45 PM

it is touching

• KEVIN BROWN

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:51 PM

ha ha ha thats was funny!!!! i thought you were being a smart a** until i checked my spelling..ha ha ha. thanks for the great ideas.

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Well, I'd say you're SOL then. New tank seems to be the best option if you insist upon the mega bomb. You can probably find a stock tank for the bike that someone removed from their bike and still has. Or you could ditch the mega bomb and go back to the stock header. Or you could find out if one or the other heat protection devices is thin enough and provides enough insulation to put on there and still keep from melting your tank. You need to give more info in your posts so it isn't a guessing game, like if you put the header on there, or the tank on there, so we know which you probably still have the stocker from, and what year your bike is. Otherwise you'll go back and forth like this and never get the answer that would solve your problem. And if people know that info in advance, very likely someone will say, Oh I've got that laying around in my garage and I'll let you have it cheap. Problem solved.

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 07, 2006 - 10:05 PM

ha ha ha thats was funny!!!! i thought you were being a smart a** until i checked my spelling..ha ha ha. thanks for the great ideas.

I WAS being a smart ass!:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2006 - 12:02 AM

[quote name='OcotilloBound']Otherwise you'll go back and forth like this and never get the answer that would solve your problem. [/QUOTE]He got the answer already.

[quote name='grayracer513; 4092865]You have two choices: switch to a Clarke 2.8 gallon tank' date=' or change the header.[/QUOTE']Either is a solution. BTW, a Powerbomb will clear your tank. Mine does.

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:42 AM

He got the answer already.

Either is a solution. BTW, a Powerbomb will clear your tank. Mine does.

You know, Gray, there's a reason why you get into arguments with people that has nothing to do with knowledge. It has to do with heavy-handedness. There is no reason to belittle my statements with a tone like that. There are other alternatives, like a stock tank. Considering that he really hasn't given much info on what his bike is, what his objectives are, and what his circumstances are, for you to say that you have given him the definitive answer is presumptuous. I'm not questioning that you have greater knowledge of these bikes and equipment and setup than I do, obviously you do. So putting me down to validate your statement doesn't strengthen your position, it really just comes off as condescending. Just an observation - I'm not here to start a fight, I just don't like my opinion being brushed off as worthless, especially if it might have some merit. I have feelings too, you know, and what lack of knowledge I may have about bikes I make up for in knowledge about a great many other things in life. Whether that knowledge is relevant in the context of this forum is questionable, but I've always found it helpful when it comes to dealing with people and relating to them on their level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.