Hot Cams For Xr650r

8 replies to this topic
  • zackary

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Anyone have experience with the Hot Cams stage 2 on the XR650R?

I live at 8200 ft ride a lot in the mountains and have jetted, uncorked the bike and added an FMF Q2 powerbomb system. I suspe\t it would stil have enough grunt for putting around yet get some good top end hit it lacks now

Thanks, ed

• hill5150

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Just upgraded the bike to hotcam II -edelbrock- 680 motor, it runs insane mid through top, no low end significant loss, simply put it hauls......8200 feet can be remedied w/ jetting...........or an edelbrock?

• HawkGT

Posted December 07, 2006 - 02:42 PM

...8200 feet can be remedied w/ jetting....

Jetting can and should be changed to compensate for thinner air, but there's no way to make the air denser short of forced induction. Every 5000ft of altitude is approximately equivalent 1.0 points of static compression. The higher you go the less power you'll make--even if you are jetted correctly.

• zackary

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the input. It runs strong now even at 8200' and I've built/owned a lot of both dirt and street bikes so I think based on your input, I'll go for it , even with the stock motor. I'm guessing the cams would take up the little richness I have in it now and who knows , I may not even need to rejet. BTW, out of curiosity, what main do you run on the 680 if you run the stock carb, and whats your elevation?

Thanks, Ed8300@yahoo.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the input. It runs strong now even at 8200' and I've built/owned a lot of both dirt and street bikes so I think based on your input, I'll go for it , even with the stock motor. I'm guessing the cams would take up the little richness I have in it now and who knows , I may not even need to rejet. BTW, out of curiosity, what main do you run on the 680 if you run the stock carb, and whats your elevation?

Thanks, Ed8300@yahoo.com

The jetting is auto w/ the pumper carb, you simply fine adjust w/ the knob on top. i am at sea level or 3 grand at most.

• hill5150

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Jetting can and should be changed to compensate for thinner air, but there's no way to make the air denser short of forced induction. Every 5000ft of altitude is approximately equivalent 1.0 points of static compression. The higher you go the less power you'll make--even if you are jetted correctly.

Point taken.

• weskc35k

Posted December 08, 2006 - 11:12 PM

Yeah Zac i have a Hotcam stage 2and i believe dollar for dollar it is the best mod i have ever used.

• porterdog

Posted December 09, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Yeah Zac i have a Hotcam stage 2and i believe dollar for dollar it is the best mod i have ever used.

Do you have other motor mods as well?

How would you describe the change due to the Stage 2 cam?

• weskc35k

Posted December 10, 2006 - 02:42 PM

Basically a fairly stock motor ,stage 2 an aftermarket muffler,opened up sidepanel a twin air powerflow filter and cage an icat just basic really.
The stage 2 cam was a very good mod but was enhanced as well with the sidepanel cutout and muffler all this works better as a team.
I lost nothing off the bottom the stock headers helped here and gained everywhere else i had the cam lead the crank by a few degrees so it was not all top and no bottom so it came on where ya roll the throttle on and hang it out.
The motor is really strong from lower mid to upper mid.
I would like a high comp piston but it may have to wait.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.