Hard Time Starting CR250

13 replies to this topic
  • 250Nasty

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Well, i have a honda 2000 honda cr250 and it dosent start two swell, when its cold, could this be me needing to do a top end, the plug is only about one ride old, and i dont know why it is doing this, could any body help that has a cr250, could it be cause its the winter and just harder to start?

• kuritaro9

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:42 PM

its probably a little lean...try the 2 stroke lean to get it fired up...

• stonedigity

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:44 PM

Your bike may be getting tired...who knows. Hard starting is also often the result of worn or chipped reeds. Have a quick look and be sure the tips aren't chipped or cracked, and that the lie down flat against the stops as well. Good luck:thumbsup:

• 808hondacrguy

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:05 PM

I had that problem with my 01 and had to put in a larger pilot jet .:worthy:

• Virtus

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:20 PM

My quick guess: When the temperature drops, like it does in Delaware this time of year, the air charge in your engine gets more dense. With the same fuel charge, your bike will run lean. Fiddle with your air screw. If that doesn’t work, rejet. It’s cheap and satisfying when your bike runs like crazy.

• XR250rdr

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:36 PM

The bike should start with the choke on even if its kinda lean. If turning in the air screw doesnt make much difference, I'd bet on worn reeds.

• sonobob

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Which carb does that bike have???

Surely they didn't carry the P(uke)J(et) unit that far down the production line...talk about a quirky, high-maintenance carb...I've dated blonde's that required less attention.

• skipn8r

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Which carb does that bike have???

'00 was the last year for the PWK.

• 250Nasty

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:59 AM

thank you kind sirs, how hard is it to check the reeds, i have never had any experience with reeds so i dont really have a clue

thanks

• 250Nasty

Posted December 07, 2006 - 08:03 AM

o, and i do have the clymers manual for my bike, so it probally will tell me in there, but what i was really wondering is if it will take a while, or if it is somthing i can do in a relativley short amount of time, and how i would go about gaining access to teh reeds

• sonobob

Posted December 07, 2006 - 08:37 AM

o, and i do have the clymers manual for my bike, so it probally will tell me in there, but what i was really wondering is if it will take a while, or if it is somthing i can do in a relativley short amount of time, and how i would go about gaining access to teh reeds

Like any 'maiden voyage' into an unfamiliar task, the first time doing it will always take longer, but this one isn't bad...take your time, keep your manual right there with you, keeping one eye on the instructions. It would also be a good idea to read through the procedure before shaking the first wrench...simply put, it's basically nothing more than pulling the carb and the cylinder-side intake boot, after thoroughly cleaning all the surrounding area on the bike. The reed cage will be right there. I would suggest that you go ahead and pick up a new set of reeds, loctite and sealant to have on hand and at the ready. Be really careful not to slop that stuff around when you put it all back together. (And I'm sure it will mention this in your manual...but just in case you miss it, the sealant has to be impervious to gasoline)

• 250Nasty

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:06 PM

thanks a lot!

• sonobob

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:38 PM

No prob...just payin' it forward...before long, you'll be doing the same...

• 250Nasty

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:04 PM

yea, i have done it to a few people allready, lol, thanks again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Last generation cr250s by hondaman331

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

Won't Start! Need Help! by Ging3rDedMan

• Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

1994 honda cr250 by goon_life427

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

1999 CR125R Choke installation? by josephduckworth

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.