Devol Rad guards fit like crap

11 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Just installed one of the guards on my 05 wr450 and in my opinion they fit like crap. Had to bend and warp the plastic tank piece to get it back on. The aluminum guard doesn't fit exactly parallel with the radiator either. Noticed that the part number is the same for earlier yzf 426's, can't believe they'd fit the same. Anyone else put these on an 05 WR 450?

• MSHAM

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Send them back. I like my Unibiker guards. Fit well even after the radiator went to Mylers for straightening. If your looking for suggestions. The money to ship them back is worth being happy with the parts!

• bandit99

Posted December 06, 2006 - 03:30 PM

My Devol fit perfect. Maybe they sent you the wrong guards.

• YAMAHA NICK

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Mine didnt fit well and they bend easy. Send them back, you will be happier in the long run.

• Seabass

Posted December 06, 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've got ZipTy radiator braces and they didn't fit perfect either. But with a little filing, grinding, and bending they lined up just fine. I've never met a part that can't be made to fit.

• Summit

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:25 AM

I guess mayby I'm too picky. They are the right ones and they DO fit but they don't fit all that well and they don't look like they fit perfect either. Also as stated above they look like they'd offer little protection and would bend easily. I took the one I installed back out and put it back in the bag and now I have them for sale, a real bargain. $60. includes shipping. I paid $90.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:54 AM

I guess mayby I'm too picky. They are the right ones and they DO fit but they don't fit all that well and they don't look like they fit perfect either. Also as stated above they look like they'd offer little protection and would bend easily. I took the one I installed back out and put it back in the bag and now I have them for sale, a real bargain. $60. includes shipping. I paid $90.

send them back and get your self a pair of unabiker or unibaker they are the best

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted December 07, 2006 - 12:55 PM

If you've already bent the radiators even a little, the guards won't fit perfectly. I installed some after the fact (should have put guards on the new bike), and even though my radiators were straightened by a professional, they still werent' lined up perfectly.

• drtbk4ever

Posted December 07, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I'll defend the Devols. I have a set and am happy with them. They fit well except where the rad shrouds bolt on to them.
Now to be fair I don't have too many nasty getoffs as I am pretty cautious, but the Devols have done their job when I needed them.

And besides, I got a brand new set for around $30, including shipping.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted December 07, 2006 - 03:10 PM

My unabikers didnt fit all that well either had to drill a new hole in one to get it to fit right.

• farkawi

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:21 PM

Mine are the Flatland Racing guards, and I had to do a little work with the die grinder to get the shrouds to fight right. The guards themselves, however, bolted up to the bike just fine.

• trailordune

Posted December 07, 2006 - 08:16 PM

The Devol's fit perfect on my 04 and they have done a great job on a few tough crashes. They may not fit the 05 or 06 well due to the different tank/shroud setup. I'd say call Ted up and see if they have a newer version. These guys are 10 miles from me and have been very helpful with a few projects. Great local business.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.