opinions

19 replies to this topic
  • perfectlytuned

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:37 PM

im 17 5"11 155lb and may be able to get an 03 yz450f. currently i have a 230 but am way ready to step it up to a larger bike. i ride pretty much only desert like Gorman or el mirage but may go to the track once or twice a year. i may get it because a guy is willin to trade his 450 for my 230 for his wife or would take $3600 for it. what do u guys think i should do? i am ready to get a larger bike and i dunno if i would get a 250 4 stroke because it wouldnt be that much of a step up from a 230 in my opinion. but would 450 be too much?

its got a gytr carbon exhaust, pro taper bars and enzo suspension, looks way clean and i might check it out but i dont want it to be too much u know?

thanks guys

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I'd say you're okay to go with the 450, just remember that it will get going fast very quickly.

As far as the price...I can't really comment because prices up here are lower than California. I'd say an '03 YZ450 could be had for around $3,000 up here.

• SUnruh

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:47 PM

a 230 to 250f step is huge. the step from a 250f to a 450 is ENORMOUS. if you are used to a 230, a 450 will rip your arms off and beat you silly with them.

• buzzgrizz

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Go with the 450 i went from a 125l 4 stroke to a 426 and I'm 15 6'2 230lbs. Just get ready for some fast acceleration.

• SlowJoe400

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:55 PM

In 2003 I bought a 1998 400. I was only 16 and still am only 5 10" and and 150lbs. I had only ridden 4wheelers before but knew my limits. I took it easy to get a feel for the power it has. I ride a lot in Johnson Valley (near you) and was a great place to learn. I think you should be able to step up if you take precaution and use yuor head. I alwasy used this advice, "you can always go slow on a fast bike, but you can't go fast on a slow bike."

Hope this helps your decision. -Joe

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:55 PM

How long have you been riding? If you've just started (like 2 or 3 months) I suggest you pass on the 450f. If you've been riding a year or two and you feel like you've got good throttle control then I say go for it. The bike is only gonna go as fast as you twist the throttle. With that bike being an 03 its gonna feel like a dragster when you romp on it

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:58 PM

... I took it easy to get a feel for the power... I think you should be able to step up if you take precaution and use yuor head. I alwasy used this advice, "you can always go slow on a fast bike, but you can't go fast on a slow bike."

Exactly.

I don't care who you are, you have to respect the shear grunt of a big bore single 2 or 4 stroke

• yami racer

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:07 PM

Go and Ride it and see how it feels. I would think it will be too much but see for yourself. A 250f is a huge step up from a 230 so your thoughts that it may not be enough are unprecedented....Then again you can't beat the trade deal

• never59

Posted December 06, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Not sure about california but $3600 seems pretty steep for an 03 at least in colorado. The 03 is the first year of the YZ450 and is known to be the hardest to ride due to it's violent hit from the throttle. If you do decide to go with the 450 i would recommend getting a fly wheel weight before you even ride it.

• perfectlytuned

Posted December 06, 2006 - 02:11 PM

i guess i have somethinkin to do. i will probably test it out and if it feels like its too much or its too heavy then itll be a no, but man itd be nice to trade straight up so i wouldnt have to make any payments. well see thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moosnukle

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I'd skip the flywheel weight on the 450, or the 450 all together. Go checkout the e-start honda cr250x, for a desert rider stepping up from a 230 it should be amazing. $$ is the killer, but you are going to work and pay bills your entire life anyway....might as well enjoy it

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:10 PM

It won't be too heavy. Your 230 weighs more. It will be taller, so it may have a heavier feel.

And a good running YZ250F should have about twice the horsepower your has.

• crashhard_17

Posted December 06, 2006 - 04:21 PM

i went from an XR 250 to a YZ 400f. it was no big deal. i ride the YZ a lot faster even on the maiden voyage (first ride). but i have ridden since i was like 2 yrs old so im used to it.

• Ganadore

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:47 PM

a 230 to 250f step is huge. the step from a 250f to a 450 is ENORMOUS. if you are used to a 230, a 450 will rip your arms off and beat you silly with them.

I moved from a CRF230F to a YZ450F in October. I used to ride a YZ250 2 stroke many years ago, so it only took a little while to once again get used to the power. As someone stated above however, you will need to learn throttle control. I am not a great rider, but I know my limitations and ride within them. With the CRF230, I could twist the throttle wide open at any point in time and I would never really be in trouble. Whether jumping, cruising, or just taking off, twist the CRF230 throttle as far as you can (and as fast as you can) and just ride. Do the same with the 450, you better hang on (in some cases however, it might actually be better to just fall off:prof: ). You just need to learn that you can no longer make full or quick throttle twists like you did with the 230 without expecting a significantly different outcome. You can still ride exactly the same way on a 450 (riding speed, jumping height, jumping distance, etc), you just need to learn the throttle and how much your ability can handle under certain conditions.

• perfectlytuned

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:06 PM

I moved from a CRF230F to a YZ450F in October. I used to ride a YZ250 2 stroke many years ago, so it only took a little while to once again get used to the power. As someone stated above however, you will need to learn throttle control. I am not a great rider, but I know my limitations and ride within them. With the CRF230, I could twist the throttle wide open at any point in time and I would never really be in trouble. Whether jumping, cruising, or just taking off, twist the CRF230 throttle as far as you can (and as fast as you can) and just ride. Do the same with the 450, you better hang on (in some cases however, it might actually be better to just fall off:prof: ). You just need to learn that you can no longer make full or quick throttle twists like you did with the 230 without expecting a significantly different outcome. You can still ride exactly the same way on a 450 (riding speed, jumping height, jumping distance, etc), you just need to learn the throttle and how much your ability can handle under certain conditions.

i really think i could do it. i mean ive been riding for maybe 7-8 years now and i started on the ct70. the suspension was junk but i learned to ride it well. then came an 84 xl125 which i mastered, and needed somethin bigger. when i first rode the 230 it was crazy how i adapted (dont want to sound cocky) i mean the suspensions of the other bikes were horrible and riding a new monoshock designed bike i felt so confortable and controllable. man i have to think. i am a very smart rider and dontr take many chances and have learned technique from my dad and uncle who used to ride a cr500. ill check it out maybe this weekend and ride it. so it is lighter than the 230?:worthy:

• moto2000

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like a no-brainer if it's in good shape and he's willing to trade.

Change is good.....Live a little:thumbsup:

• perfectlytuned

Posted December 06, 2006 - 06:23 PM

i just dont want any regrets, im only 17, fixing the problem would be hard but man i could see myself with my friends on the 450 haha

• perfectlytuned

Posted December 06, 2006 - 08:03 PM

nvm its sold. im so mad i wanna cry

thanks for everythin guys tho

• Ganadore

Posted December 07, 2006 - 04:06 PM

i really think i could do it. i mean ive been riding for maybe 7-8 years now and i started on the ct70. the suspension was junk but i learned to ride it well. then came an 84 xl125 which i mastered, and needed somethin bigger. when i first rode the 230 it was crazy how i adapted (dont want to sound cocky) i mean the suspensions of the other bikes were horrible and riding a new monoshock designed bike i felt so confortable and controllable. man i have to think. i am a very smart rider and dontr take many chances and have learned technique from my dad and uncle who used to ride a cr500. ill check it out maybe this weekend and ride it. so it is lighter than the 230?:worthy:

On paper, the YZ450 is about 15-20 lbs lighter. When riding, it feels like its 50 lbs lighter. It is almost cheating compared to the 230. Turning it is effortless, whips come naturally, and jumping is again fun. I too started on a CT70 almost 30 years ago. Fun little bike. You sound like you respect a bike and understand your abilities and thats half the battle. The other half is a little experience which you also have. I say do it. In one summer of riding, you will be pushing it like you did on your 230. I thought about a YZ250F but I didn't care to spend $5-$6K only to become bored with it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 06:34 PM

On paper, the YZ450 is about 15-20 lbs lighter. When riding, it feels like its 50 lbs lighter.

Unfortunately, you're framing your comments with your '07 as a reference. In that context, what you say is quite true. But your '07 also feels 30 pounds lighter than an '03 YZ450. :worthy:

And the '03 will be much more difficult to manage, power-wise.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.