Paddle Tire Question

7 replies to this topic
  • Dan Turner

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I finally found a 17" paddle for my 87 XR600R. Got if off ebay....It's a Skat -Trak tire with Hooker paddles. When I got the tire, which is brand new, I realized it was made from a street bike tire that is tubelss. It has the speed rating on it that say 150MPH!!:worthy:

Anyway...the question is, will running a tube in a tubeless tire be a probelm??

-Dan

• goblin127

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:41 AM

I have run a tube in a tubless tire before,but it was on a street bike with alloy wheels.

• Dan Turner

Posted December 06, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Should I run a higher pressure to eliminate some friction and heat?

-Dan

• eastreich

Posted December 06, 2006 - 11:25 AM

Yes, I would run higher air pressure. I usually run my Skat-Trak paddle at around 16-18 psi (as opposed to the 12-13 normally). I also use a lot of baby powder and the smoothest tube (Michelin or Bridgestone, no cheap FLY tubes here) that I can find to help keep tire temperature down.

Runnig a tube in a tubless tire is not a problem. The tubeless carcass that Skat-Trak used will be stiffer, and with the paddles stiffer yet, so it will probabaly be a real b#$%h to mount.

I'm sure that in this day and age, the only carcasses that Skat-Trak can get to vulcanize the paddles on are street bike tires. OEM dual sport rubber that may be found in a 17" is too narrow of a tire to use for the paddles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan Turner

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

-Dan

• Dan Turner

Posted December 06, 2006 - 12:40 PM

It was tough to stretch over the rim, but the wider carcass made it a bunch easier to get the valve stem and rim lock on. I hate changing rear tires.

-Dan

• eastreich

Posted December 06, 2006 - 03:04 PM

It was tough to stretch over the rim, but the wider carcass made it a bunch easier to get the valve stem and rim lock on. I hate changing rear tires.

-Dan

The only nice thing about putting on a paddle tire. It's easy to get the tube in.

If I did dunes a lot (instead of once or twice a year), I would definitely get a spare rear wheel just to keep the paddle tire on.

• ljspop

Posted December 06, 2006 - 05:21 PM

The only nice thing about putting on a paddle tire. It's easy to get the tube in.

If I did dunes a lot (instead of once or twice a year), I would definitely get a spare rear wheel just to keep the paddle tire on.

I'm considering getting a spare wheel for this reason. Anyone have suggestions on where to or not to get one?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.